Judge Engeron under investigation for judicial misconduct in Trump case

5,659 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by whatthehey78
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

A high-profile New York real estate lawyer, whose law license was once suspended, said he approached the judge presiding over Donald Trump's civil fraud case to offer unsolicited advice about a law at issue in the case.

Attorney Adam Leitman Bailey made the claim during an interview with NBC New York, saying he spoke to Judge Arthur Engoron three weeks prior to the judge's February decision to fine the former president $454 million for falsely inflating the value of his assets.

The judge, through a court spokesman, denied impropriety and said he was "wholly uninfluenced" by Mr. Bailey. New York's judicial oversight body has now launched an investigation into the alleged interaction, according to sources familiar with the matter.
Quote:

"I actually had the ability to speak to him three weeks ago," Bailey said, during an on-camera interview with NBC New York on Feb. 16, the day the judge's decision was due. "I saw him in the corner [at the courthouse] and I told my client, 'I need to go.' And I walked over and we started talking … I wanted him to know what I think and why…I really want him to get it right."

NBC New York asked a spokesman for Engoron whether the judge had spoken with Bailey about any legal issues surrounding the Trump civil fraud matter, and whether the alleged interaction had been appropriate.

"No ex parte conversation concerning this matter occurred between Justice Engoron and Mr. Bailey or any other person. The decision Justice Engoron issued February 16 was his alone, was deeply considered, and was wholly uninfluenced by this individual," said Al Baker, a spokesman for the New York State's Office of Court Administration, in a written statement

In legalese, the term "ex parte" describes a communication between a party or their legal counsel and a judge about a pending case without all the parties present.

Bailey, who said he is no fan of Trump, was not involved in the civil case and is not connected to any of the four separate criminal cases against the former president. He said he knows the judge from having appeared before him as a litigant "hundreds of times."

Bailey said he "explained to him" that a fraud statute at issue in the case was not intended to be used to shut down a major company, especially in a case without clear victims. He said such a ruling would hurt New York's economy. Engoron had rejected a similar argument raised by the Trump team in court.
Quote:

"He had a lot of questions, you know, about certain cases. We went over it," Bailey said.

Baker, the court spokesman, did not reply when asked whether the judge had engaged with Bailey or asked questions.
Quote:

The New York State Rules of Judicial Conduct state that "a judge shall not initiate, permit, or consider ex parte communications, or consider other communications made to the judge outside the presence of the parties or their lawyers." The rules do allow an exception to "obtain the advice of a disinterested expert," if a judge gives notice to the parties in the case and gives them the opportunity to respond.

The New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct will now consider whether the rules of judicial conduct were violated in this instance, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The commission's administrator, Robert Tembeckjian, declined to comment, citing a statute on confidentiality.
Quote:

Christopher Kise, a member of the Trump defense team which has repeatedly criticized Engoron's handling of the case, said if Bailey's claims are true, it casts doubt on the integrity of the process.

"The code doesn't provide an exception for 'well, this was a small conversation' or 'well, it didn't really impact me' or 'well, this wasn't something that I, the judge, found significant," Kise said. "No. The code is very clear."

Several experts consulted by NBC New York said the rules are meant not only to prevent outside influence, but also any appearance of outside influence.
Quote:

Retired Presiding New York Appellate Justice Alan Scheinkman said he has questions about Bailey's account. However, he said in a case as consequential as the Trump civil fraud matter, if Bailey's allegation is true, it would have been prudent for Engoron to disclose the interaction to both parties in the case.

"If there's any substantive dialogue about the law in a pending case, it should be disclosed," Scheinkman said.
LINK
Hungry Ojos
In New York?

Slap on the wrist, "don't do it again."

Case closed.
texsn95
AG
Maybe throw in a free debit card for him too.
Kraft Punk
Liberal clown judge w TDS conducted himself inappropriately?

Who'da thunkit?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Bailey, who said he is no fan of Trump, was not involved in the civil case and is not connected to any of the four separate criminal cases against the former president. He said he knows the judge from having appeared before him as a litigant "hundreds of times."

Bailey said he "explained to him" that a fraud statute at issue in the case was not intended to be used to shut down a major company, especially in a case without clear victims. He said such a ruling would hurt New York's economy. Engoron had rejected a similar argument raised by the Trump team in court.
Quote:

Quote:
"He had a lot of questions, you know, about certain cases. We went over it," Bailey said.

Assuming Bailey is telling the truth here, Engeron knew he was misinterpreting the statutory and case law but did it anyway.
Get Off My Lawn
Remember when a judge denied Chauvin's request for alternate jurisdiction under the excuse that he couldn't get an unbiased jury anywhere? Yeah: ethical standards seem to only apply to those who already have them.
Viper16
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Assuming Bailey is telling the truth here, Engeron knew he was misinterpreting the statutory and case law but did it anyway.
In that case, what should the ramifications for Engeron and the case be?
#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Ag87H2O
AG

Trump wasn't making things up when he said the system was rigged.

If the intelligence agencies can get at you six ways from Sunday like Schumer said, the Democrat operatives in the bureaucracy and courts have a thousand ways.

There is no telling how many crooked dealings have taken place to operationalize all this lawfare against Trump.
aggiehawg
AG
Viper16 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well they can add that to the appeal but other than that? Not much.
barbacoa taco
AG
Ag87H2O said:

Aileen Cannon and 3 SCOTUS judges have all been appointed by Trump and they have done him solid after solid in getting his cases delayed to ensure he won't see trial before the election.

The system is very rigged alright. It's a big club and you ain't in it.
Viper16
AG
aggiehawg said:

Viper16 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That seems to be the way in our current lawfare environment. Kinda what I thought too.

Thanks
#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Fightin_Aggie
AG
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

Aileen Cannon and 3 SCOTUS judges have all been appointed by Trump and they have done him solid after solid in getting his cases delayed to ensure he won't see trial before the election.

The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
VaultingChemist
AG
aggiehawg said:

Viper16 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Couldn't they hire some of Boeing's "consultants" to speak to the judge?
Ag with kids
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

It's nice that you have the party talking points for us...thank you.
bobbranco
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

Sadly TDS affects all political stripes.

Hungry Ojos
barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

After what your side has done to Donald Trump, J6ers, Chauvin, etc., I hope SCOTUS and every conservative judge in the nation applies the exact same standards of "justice" to the people you like.
GeorgiAg
AG
That's not ex parte. I have conversations about cases I'm not on all the time with a local judge at the gym. I also talk to him about cases I have in different counties.
Hungry Ojos
GeorgiAg said:

That's not ex parte. I have conversations about cases I'm not on all the time with a local judge at the gym. I also talk to him about cases I have in different counties.
Do you tell your judge buddy who you spot while he does squats (TOTALLY appropriate and not weird at all) how to rule on cases as well? Cause that kinda sounds like what was going on here chach.
GeorgiAg
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

GeorgiAg said:

Do you tell your judge buddy who you spot while he does squats (TOTALLY appropriate and not weird at all) how to rule on cases as well? Cause that kinda sounds like what was going on here chach.
Why do you assume it is while squatting? Totally inappropriate to talk during squats.

It's in the showers.
Hungry Ojos
Least surprising thing I've read all day.
Slicer97
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

After what your side has done to Donald Trump, J6ers, Chauvin, etc., I hope SCOTUS and every conservative judge in the nation applies the exact same standards of "justice" to the people you like.
Amen.
bobbranco
AG
Some lawyers have devised methods to success with wet favors.
annie88
AG
Every single one of these judges and the DAs have been so egregious in their contempt for the law and completely sham cases and rulings. They should all be disbarred. I won't hold my breath, but I hope a big world of hurt is coming over these people.
annie88
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

What drugs are you on? Seriously can anyone make such a ****ing stupid statement. This is nothing but an absolute lie. In case you haven't noticed what's been going on the last eight months.

NONE of these cases should've ever gone to trial and wouldn't have on anyone else. New York even changed their statute just to get Trump. The fact they got a liberal judge and dumb ass liberal juries to pull the bull**** in the lying freak job ladies is even worse.

That assault never happened and she literally had no proof and couldn't remember a damn thing no rape victim forgets the date or lies about when the dress was made.

FFS

Honestly, I truly feel sorry for you.
American Hardwood
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

This is clownish. You seem upset that some judges don't want to see the courts and lawfare used to manipulate an election which is another way of saying you want to see election manipulation through lawfare. Not at all surprised a leftist would support corrupting the court system AND election system to gain power.
whatthehey78
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

From my perspective...Aileen Cannon and the 3 SOTUS have fairly, wisely and correctly applied the Rule of Law concept as it was originally intended. The disingenuous Prosecution? Not even close.
Rockdoc
AG
Well he only watches lib media so he really doesn't know better.
Ag with kids
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Are they cases that are before the judge at the time?
barbacoa taco
AG
whatthehey78 said:

barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

From my perspective...Aileen Cannon and the 3 SOTUS have fairly, wisely and correctly applied the Rule of Law concept as it was originally intended. The disingenuous Prosecution? Not even close.
lol

you can be mad at the prosecution all you want but the fact is, Trump was indicted in these 2 cases (and 2 others). The prosecution still has to prove their case to a jury. What you are saying is it shouldn't even get to that point. In other words, the people don't deserve to know.

While the SCOTUS decision hasn't been released yet, several justices were seriously entertaining the absolutely ridiculous idea that the president has absolute immunity with no exceptions. That is INSANE and so far beyond the pale of what the founders intended. It's utterly ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

All i'm saying is the legal process should play out. Trump is currently a citizen and he's been indicted, but not convicted. What these specific judges are doing is trying to give him special treatment and shield him from accountability, something no other criminal defendant would ever get if they tried. That's different from saying "these cases are BS." This is saying "Trump deserves special treatment and the people don't deserve to know if he's guilty of these crimes."

And the judges are on board with this. So the notion that Trump is "treated unfairly" is pure bull***** he gets an incredibly unique kind of special treatment, actually.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

Everyone say hi to larry!!!

barbacoa taco
AG
American Hardwood said:

barbacoa taco said:

Ag87H2O said:

This is clownish. You seem upset that some judges don't want to see the courts and lawfare used to manipulate an election which is another way of saying you want to see election manipulation through lawfare. Not at all surprised a leftist would support corrupting the court system AND election system to gain power.
Trump is running for president so he can escape criminal accountability. If anything he's the one manipulating the legal process, using the most unusual get out of jail free card ever.

Maybe if Trump doesn't want to get criminally investigated, he should stop committing all these crimes.

I'll say it again, there is no other criminal defendant ever who would get this kind of special treatment. Even the most innocent of innocent defendants. At the end of the day, the judges will let the cases go to trial and the prosecution will need to prove their case, barring pretrial motions that would dispose of a case.
nortex97
AG
Get ready for it. Your team has empowered the successor Trump.

GeorgiAg
AG
Ag with kids said:

GeorgiAg said:

Are they cases that are before the judge at the time?
No, that would be unethical. That is ex parte

You can't talk to a judge about a pending case without the other lawyer present.

This judge just likes to talk about interesting legal issues he has or unusual verdicts.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

No, that would be unethical. That is ex parte
Which is exactly what happened here. It was before Engeron handed down his ruling.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.