Outdoors
Sponsored by

Chili Recipes

6,337 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by txaggie01
Ogre09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do you y'all make chili? I usually just use ground beef, a can of rotel, and a 2 Alarm Chili Kit.
AggieBonz02
2-lbs ground beef or venison
Diced onions
Rotel
8-oz tomato sauce
Williams Hot Chili Seasoning
Tomato juice to preferred consistency
MookieBlaylock
AG
don't forget the Kidney Beans
AggieBonz02

quote:
You don't put no beans in your chili brew. NO BEANS!
eric76
AG
This being Texas, it is solely the responsibility of the cook to decide whether or not to use beans.

If you complain about it, the only proper action is for the cook to hit you in the mouth and break your jaw.
35chililights
AG
no beans.

otherwise it is just soup.
doubleag91
AG
Beans are actually a very nice addition to chili...

If you're making vegetarian chili!
HECUBUS
AG
I got my recipe from my oldest brother. I'm not allowed to share. However, I can say it was from twenty plus years of perfecting venison chili and it's even better with diced round steak.

I don't know how folks can argue so much about beans when they are using hamburger meat...d8)

The best chili I ever made was on leftover night. I trimmed up and diced a leftover ribeye that had been grilled to perfection and tossed it into some leftover chili I heated up in the microwave. It heated the ribeye without cooking it. Perfection with an ice cold Ayinger Brau-Weisse.

[This message has been edited by HECUBUS (edited 4/16/2008 2:55p).]
doubleag91
AG
The 2nd most disputed chili question:

Hamburger or chili grind or cubed?
35chililights
AG
who said anything about using hamburger meat?
doubleag91
AG
Here we go......
tx4guns
AG
Actually, the best chili has a variety of textures. My cook-off chili has hamburger, chili-grind, AND diced chuck roast in it. 3 sizes of meat texture.

And... for the house, beans are fine, but for a cook-off - instant DQ.

EDIT: To the orignial poster, chili recipes are pretty personal. That's like asking me what color panties my wife is wearing. Go on Google and search for something that sounds good and spice it up to fit your taste. That's the fun part - perfecting it per your tastes.

[This message has been edited by tx4guns (edited 4/16/2008 3:01p).]
doubleag91
AG
OP: since I have posted on your thread and not answered, I will give you my chili "guidlines" because I don't have a written recipe.

I use ground meat because its just easier and I don't have to worry about there being gristle in the larger pieces of chili grind or "cubes" of meat.

I brown the meat with some chopped onions. I also like to season the meat while I am browning it. I season with salt, pepper, granulated garlic (fresh would be better), cumin, red pepper (cayenne) to desired heat and chili powder.

If I have some handy, I like to add a little beef boullion (sp?). It gives it a "beefier" flavor.

I also add just a little (gasp!) brown sugar. It takes a little edge off the salt and helps bring out the heat.

I usually quarter a jalapeno or two to throw in for a little more heat.

I hold the jalapeno, brown sugar and boullion out until after I have added the tomato sauce. I like my chili a little thicker, so I use more sauce. Also, if it gets to thin, I just leave the lid off and let it reduce.

Like tx4guns said, find a recipe, then adjust accordingly and don't be afraid to play with your food.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Wolf brand vs Hormel? I choose hormel...
Ogre09
AG
tx4guns, so about your wife's panties...
USMC1995
It appears that I am the only one that puts beer in my chili. How is that possible?
Signel
AG
I love chili with or without beans.. best i've ever had was home made elk chili my buddy made...

I usually just use wick fowlers and a bunch of meat.
tx4guns
AG
jason,

I put a beer in my chili. Now, what kind of beer, I'm not going to say.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I use beer in my chili as well... Of course, I have to buy a six pack and can't let those other 5 3/4 beers go to waste while I'm cooking up that 5 gallon pot of chili, so I have to dispose of them while I'm at it.
txaggie01
I slice some jalapeno cheese deer sausage in half and then remove the inside from the liner and add to my chili meat that I am browning. Just another way to get some more flavor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.