Outdoors
Sponsored by

Commercial Solar Farms -- Land Leasing

1,329 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by beerag04
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's been discussed before. I know...

Anyone know anything or have any insight on a solar project in central Leon County? I've been approached by an outfit looking to lease all or part of a tract I own.

Obviously my acreage isn't enough for the whole project so I'm sure they're in talks or already have signed agreements with offset landowners, but I haven't heard how big the total project is. Part of me isn't keen on losing this piece of family property for 40 years (primary lease term) but I also don't want to go out there and look out across a shimmering sea of solar panels either. Hunting as well won't be worth a darn if the surrounding property with extensive timber is bulldozed as I'm already surrounded in other directions with expanses of wide open pasture.

Right now I've got a terms sheet and a letter of intent.
Aggie_2463
AG
I own land in leon county - Mind sharing what part?
SunrayAg
AG
If only there was a magical structure that would take carbon out of the atmosphere and hold it, and release oxygen, all while shading the surrounding area and reducing temperatures… and also providing wildlife habitat.

Wouldn't that be cool?

But let's bulldoze the oak trees so climate cult libtards can pretend they're getting "green" energy.

No solar "farm" should exist in this state, and certainly not in the green parts of it.

Leon county needs to wake the hell up and keep this garbage out!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Aggie_2463 said:

Draw a line between Flynn and Centerville. Along the power line. Interestingly this solar project could really mess with the proposes train route. That's kinda a big plus.
Aggie_2463
AG
That's my area - I own 30 acres off co rd 490
Kenneth_2003
AG
Due West of you off 419
Aggie_2463
AG
Are you on the west side of the power lines, or the east side?

Not a fan of solar farms myself.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Both. Cuts right through the middle.

I'm not necessarily a fan of solar farms either. I'm also not a fan of being surrounded by them. I'm also not a fan of high speed trains cutting my property in two; leaving a landlocked triangle.

This piece is the last of a larger tract that's still in the family. All of my Aunts/Uncles or cousins have sold.

But I'm torn... If the terms are right and the pitfalls mitigated maybe it's better to take the cash and buy elsewhere...
Aggie_2463
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

I'm not necessarily a fan of solar farms either. I'm also not a fan of being surrounded by them. I'm also not a fan of high speed trains cutting my property in two; leaving a landlocked triangle.

This piece is the last of a larger tract that's still in the family. All of my Aunts/Uncles or cousins have sold.

But I'm torn... If the terms are right and the pitfalls mitigated maybe it's better to take the cash and buy elsewhere...
Gotcha - I can't blame you to take the money and run if everyone else is doing it anyways. Why be trapped between a train and / or solar panels?

You must have that big open cattle ranch east of you that 490 dead ends at. I'm about 1.5 miles from the powerlines....Kind of a side question but do you ever see any decent bucks? I'm over run with does, and probably saw the oldest sub 13" basket rack buck in the state last year.
rme
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Aggie_2463 said:

Draw a line between Flynn and Centerville. Along the power line. Interestingly this solar project could really mess with the proposes train route. That's kinda a big plus.
I worked on a project with the proposed train route cutting through the site. At first the project designed around the route and ultimately just ignored it. In the unlikely event the train happens, they can fight over $$$.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Aggie_2463 said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

Gotcha - I can't blame you to take the money and run if everyone else is doing it anyways. Why be trapped between a train and / or solar panels?

You must have that big open cattle ranch east of you that 490 dead ends at. I'm about 1.5 miles from the powerlines....Kind of a side question but do you ever see any decent bucks? I'm over run with does, and probably saw the oldest sub 13" basket rack buck in the state last year.

South of where you're looking. Mostly wooded rectangle with the power line slicing diagonally through. The rectangle to my north was my uncle's but his ex wife sold it off. Another aunt verbally gave my mom and I right off first refusal on the rectangle to my West, but my cousin just called a realtor and but the time I knew it was on the market he was under contract. The buyer bulldozed half of it along my back fence. I'd if I could have gotten that I had a chance of putting all of my great grandfather's tractors back together.

I haven't hunted it in a while. I've got a family friend with cows on it and I think they've hunted it some. The ***** on my SE has feeders on the fence (don't get me started).... But my guess is it's over run with does and every tiny legal buck gets blasted.
austinrb10
AG
YMMV with whatever groups are connected within the solar project. Just went through this with our property in south Texas.

Our experience showed there is very little recourse against these solar firms. You will be approached by Company A and then learn B, C, D etc are also included. If your property concludes the initial survey and permit process these firms go to market for investor funds, banks, etc to start to mobilize. They have very little cash to begin with.

The lease agreement will be front loaded with outs. They can leave at any time for any reason. They try to sell you on the value of the equipment and panels if they leave but remember you have to find a buyer. These firms have no problem going bankrupt or simply shutting down if the project gets ahead of them from a costs perspective. Again, you are left with the cleanup no matter what the contract says.

Our attorney redlined the contract so much (on purpose) the solar company backed out. We wanted for recourse or hardline definitions they felt were not viable to the business.
rme
AG
You won't have to find a buyer, the lenders will take over if there's a default.
FunkyTownAg
AG
I do not work for a solar but have worked for quite a few on the permitting side. If I were in your shoes I'd tell them they can buy the place above market value over the 99-year lease they try to sell. Also the guy explaining how they actually don't build them they just sell the permitted plans to investors is 100% correct
Kenneth_2003
AG
Thank you. This is the kind of information that I'm looking for.
beerag04
AG
Solar development is no different than any other form of development in the types of players you encounter. There are companies that have nothing and are just looking to put together a few assets on the cheap that they can sell to a bigger developer. There are also highly capitalized companies that are looking for long term investment and return. And there are many in between that may have experience but no capital or have capital but no experience.

Research who you are dealing with and look for companies that have been in the industry for a long time and built many projects.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.