Houston
Sponsored by

HPD police chief suddenly retires

4,012 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by AgLA06
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sunlight continues to show just how much of a CF HPD is

https://abc13.com/post/houston-police-chief-troy-finner-out-larry-satterwhite-hpd-suspended-cases-lack-of-personnel-code/14783597/
TexAgs1992
The Wonderer said:

Sunlight continues to show just how much of a CF HPD is

https://abc13.com/post/houston-police-chief-troy-finner-out-larry-satterwhite-hpd-suspended-cases-lack-of-personnel-code/14783597/
Wonder if we have another case of a gay lover turned intern being paid by HPD. Par for the course of Houston's finest.
Ag_07
AG
Nah just a case of good ole incompetence.

This entire botching of sexual assault cases and mishandling of evidence is pretty damning. Actually thought this was gonna happen a long time ago.
digging tunnels
AG
Thank you Turner and Acevedo for being the slapdicks yall are
Ag_07
AG
digging tunnels said:

Thank you Turner and Acevedo for being the slapdicks yall are

Finner carries blame too.

He knew good and well cases were not being investigated.

Like I said I'm surprised it took this long.
W
AG
the Turner era has really, really, really aged poorly

corruption and incompetence all over the place
AustinCountyAg
W said:

the Turner era has really, really, really aged poorly

corruption and incompetence all over the place
just think if she-jack would've won....
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Whitmire continuing to surprise.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Ag_07
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

This

Whitmire has been a much welcomed breath of fresh air. I admit I was skeptical of another dem at the helm but man he's been quite impressive so far.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The bike lane stuff has reddit really hating the mayor. That usually means he is doing a good job.
digging tunnels
AG
He said he was gonna make crime his #1 priority and he's making good on his word. City could have used all that funding for 11th st/Shepherd/Houston Ave instead on HPD

Eff you Sly
Project Gemini
AG
Sly was so busy doing interviews, riding his motorized bike, dancing, and being given fake awards he didnt have time to address real problems.
TX04Aggie
AG
I have noticed a much higher police presence downtown lately. I mean it is always been higher concentration but they are definitely more visible
NickNaylor
Project Gemini said:

Sly was so busy doing interviews, riding his motorized bike, dancing, and being given fake awards he didnt have time to address real problems.
And dealing with potentially terminal bone cancer
Project Gemini
AG
NickNaylor said:

Project Gemini said:

For a fraction of his 8 years in office. He was diagnosed in summer 2022 and cancer free in November. So he spent 7+ years doing all these other things.
Al Bula
AG
NickNaylor said:

Project Gemini said:

so are you insinuating he was not able to do his job AT ALL because of a potential terminal illness or are you insinuating he shouldn't be held accountable for all the crime and police nonsense under his tenure?
Ag_07
AG
NickNaylor said:

Project Gemini said:

Nice try
Jock 07
AG
NickNaylor said:

Project Gemini said:

Imagine being so pathetic that you try and goal tend for quite possibly the most corrupt and incompetent mayor the COH has ever seen, and that's saying a lot.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

when your predecessor set the bar on the floor, it isn't exactly hard to get over it.
El Gallo Blanco
Whitmire kind of reminds me of Joe Bauers aka "Not Sure" from idiocracy. Dramatic improvement from what we have seen, but still could have a lukewarm IQ for all we know.

Diggity
AG
guy is a Waltrip grad.

Place spits out nothing but future legends.

Martin Q. Blank
Al Bula said:

NickNaylor said:

Project Gemini said:

so are you insinuating he was not able to do his job AT ALL because of a potential terminal illness or are you insinuating he shouldn't be held accountable for all the crime and police nonsense under his tenure?
El Gallo Blanco
Diggity said:

guy is a Waltrip grad.

Place spits out nothing but future legends.

Did not know that. I renounce everything I have ever said about the man.

Had no idea Olive Oyl was from there.
MAROON
AG

Quote:

In 2021, Whitmire stirred controversy by responding to questions about the lack of air conditioning in prisons by saying: "You know, we can talk about this all day, it's not gonna change. The prisons are hot. They're uncomfortable. And the real solution is, don't commit a crime and you stay at home and be cool. We're not gonna air condition them. One, we don't want to. Number two, we couldn't afford it if we wanted to." Whitmire's quote was featured the following month on a segment on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
John Whitmire - Wikipedia

I like that quote. Lifelong politician, but I've met him and he seems to be an ok guy. Low bar after the last two Mayors. Bill White and then Lanier where the last Mayors that were competent.
Irish 2.0
NickNaylor said:

Project Gemini said:

Ryan the Temp
AG
MAROON said:

Quote:

In 2021, Whitmire stirred controversy by responding to questions about the lack of air conditioning in prisons by saying: "You know, we can talk about this all day, it's not gonna change. The prisons are hot. They're uncomfortable. And the real solution is, don't commit a crime and you stay at home and be cool. We're not gonna air condition them. One, we don't want to. Number two, we couldn't afford it if we wanted to." Whitmire's quote was featured the following month on a segment on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

I like that quote. Lifelong politician, but I've met him and he seems to be an ok guy. Low bar after the last two Mayors. Bill White and then Lanier where the last Mayors that were competent.
Bill White is debatable there. He really didn't understand how large government agencies function. He tried to beat the "run the city like a business" drum without understanding that government agencies simply do not function that way no matter how hard you try to force them to (This was part of my Masters thesis). He also hated city employees and he and his affluent friends (i.e. "advisors") were ridiculously out of touch with the realities of most Houstonians' daily lives. This is evidenced by one of the meetings trying to set up Safe Clear when either White or one of his pals said, "Why would anyone care about $75? That's nothing."
rancher1953
I believe Chief Finner when he says "I didndu nuffin".
MAROON
AG
Bill White got Safe Clear done and synchronized the downtown stop lights (something out of town Brown said was impossible). For those two alone he gets a passing grade
agz win
AG
Those synchronized lights downtown were so choice.
schmellba99
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

MAROON said:

Quote:

Bill White is debatable there. He really didn't understand how large government agencies function. He tried to beat the "run the city like a business" drum without understanding that government agencies simply do not function that way no matter how hard you try to force them to (This was part of my Masters thesis). He also hated city employees and he and his affluent friends (i.e. "advisors") were ridiculously out of touch with the realities of most Houstonians' daily lives. This is evidenced by one of the meetings trying to set up Safe Clear when either White or one of his pals said, "Why would anyone care about $75? That's nothing."
Get rid of all of the extraneous crap that bogs government down (DIE, affirmative action, mandatory minority participation percentages in contracts, not being able to fire useless and lazy employees that contribute nothing, instill performance based bonuses and merit raises for higher performers, etc.) and makes them the most inefficient operational body there is and you could run them closer to a business.
AgLA06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

This

Whitmire has been a much welcomed breath of fresh air. I admit I was skeptical of another dem at the helm but man he's been quite impressive so far.
I tried to tell some of you. I may not agree with all of his personal politics and he knows that, but he may end up going down as the best politician Houston has ever had. He's a Dem, but he's a centric Dem that cares about getting things done and turning this place around.

He's a lifelong politician, but one of the few that actually accomplishes something and is fiscally conservative, but will spend money to gain in the long run.
WestHoustonAg79
NickNaylor said:

Project Gemini said:

Bro. Come on.

Sly was as crooked as they get and it's becoming more factual and not just an assumption day by day. GTFO here. Troll post.

ETA: you can be a crooked politician and be diagnosed with cancer at the same time. This was not a "things went shady and to sheiit" once he didn't have his head on a swivel and couldn't be crime fighting super mayor.

Come on Peter Pan. Dudes a slick, sticky fingered, hand in the cookie jar typical local politician sleaze.
ChipFTAC01
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/whitmire-budget-streets-drainage-19450849.php

Article of the day about Sly redirecting funds from their intended use. Whitmire continuing it however while this is being appealed.
AgLA06
AG
A lot of politics as usual.

I'm sure he would like to change it as he originally said. But the article clearly points out based on the previous administration's decision to divert almost a half billion, his hands are essentially tied unless we're going to run a $100 million deficit this year and not meet reserve requirements.

Quotes like "The one thing I will say is if Mayor Whitmire chooses to fight this long term, he's taking ownership of it," said Watson. "He can't blame the previous administration for something if he's going to fight to the bitter end."
is not exactly depicting reality. Oh, I find it interesting that no on pointed out they are suing because they have a financial interest in them personally making more money if they get their way. Hopefully there is some compromise and the city can move that way in a less budget damangin way over several years.

Something that hopefully becomes more apparent is the Houston budget is in a bad way based on the previous 10 years of decisions. It's going to take years to undo that under best case scenarios.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.