F 150 3 liter diesel......

10,680 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by TexAgBolter
NW80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tell me about them please.
I've been driving the Ram 1500 eco diesel ( and love it)!
Jethro95
AG
Got one in March - Lariat FX4. We love it. Pulls our two horse trailer like a champ. Fuel mileage is averaging just over 22. I've taken two long trips and averaged 24 and 25.
scd88
AG
Bump. Whenever I get a truck, I'm really interested in getting one with this engine.

Does it only come in a Lariat or above trim?
Jethro95
AG
Jethro95
AG
Retail is Lariat and above only. Fleet can get it in lower models.
scd88
AG
Thanks!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I've only driven them.

I really like the power until about 3500 RPM and then it falls off, right about the time the ecoboost starts to shine. Typical diesel behavior. But this engine is really catering to those who eat up highway miles and tow. If you do serious towing, you'll want a super duty, but I think this is a great combo.

I think Ford would sell more if they would retail them in lower trims.

Also for those of us that have to park in parking garages on sales calls and tight places, this is easier to park than a Crew Cab long bed super duty. Its also a great choice for those who like diesels and can appreciate the better maneuverability of a F150 vs a Super Duty.

TexAgBolter
AG
Have had one since November. Platinum FX4. Love it.

It's a commuter vehicle for me and I average around 23.5 mpg between my commute and farting around town.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I tweeted to Mike Levine at Ford about this a few weeks back...

Guess what....

aggieforester05
AG
Still not on their builder. That would be a good move though, they'll sell a lot more if you can get an XLT.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Still not on their builder. That would be a good move though, they'll sell a lot more if you can get an XLT.
Not yet...still waiting for it to show up.

NW80
AG
Got the "Lariat".
Averaging 23 mpg in town!
LOVE THIS TRUCK!
NW80
AG
A little update. I've had the truck for 2 weeks and 1500 miles. It's averaged 24.4 mpg ( about 700 highway miles)!
I really liked the little Ram, but this is more of a truck!
Silvy
AG
ferd f-teenthousand
The Kraken
AG
NW80 said:

A little update. I've had the truck for 2 weeks and 1500 miles. It's averaged 24.4 mpg ( about 700 highway miles)!
Was the Ecodiesel a 2014-16 model? If it was, I hope you got the reflash done and claimed your $$ before selling it.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
New World Ag said:

NW80 said:

Was the Ecodiesel a 2014-16 model? If it was, I hope you got the reflash done and claimed your $$ before selling it.
if he bought it in the US ( not Canada) brand new, he should still be eligible for approx $900 settlement.

find out at www.ecodieselsettlement.com
The Kraken
AG
Yep! If the OP bought it new, though....there's a significant difference between $3075 and $990.
CDUB98
AG
You still have your Ecodiesel RAM?
The Kraken
AG
Yep! Right at 4 years now. Of the 4 trucks I've owned, it's been the best so far.
Mr.Bond
AG
I got a lariat FX4 in February. I drive around 5k miles a month for work and avg around 25 mpg but can get nearly 28 if I drive "better" I absolutely love this truck. Getting an oil change was an adventure as no one stocked the filter so I had to order one but I suspect that will change as they get more popular.

I do get a lot of double looks in parking lots when people realize what it is haha.

Only thing I would change is that dumbass auto start/stop feature
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Jethro95
AG
I got the auto stop eliminator and haven't looked back.
Mr.Bond
AG
Jethro95 said:

I got the auto stop eliminator and haven't looked back.

Checking into this now
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Jethro95
AG
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

There is a thread on f150forums where the owner leaves coupon codes. Also, I got an open box one that was discounted and it was just like new.
Mr.Bond
AG
Looks like all the coupons expired. If you see another please let me know

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I can turn off Auto Stop Start with a keystroke.
Bobcat-Ag
Are you worried that the engine will just stop at 150K miles? That's the rumor out there.
Mr.Bond
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

The Kraken
AG
Not that concerned since I have a tune that deactivates the EGR.
HumbleAg04
AG
Mr.Bond said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

True. Also disabled the piped in fake engine sound, Lincoln style mirror fold, and fog lights w/ brights.
Bobcat-Ag
So, buying a used ecodeisel with closer to 100K miles should be able to last for another 100K with good maintenance? At least in your opinion if the EGR is deactivated?

I am very interested in the light duty deisel engine trucks as it seems to fit my needs the most. It would be a daily driver where decent MPG is a need, as in better than 20 mpg. I also need to fit 6 in the vehicle when we would tow a travel trailer and it looks like this would get me the towing capabilities along with some better gas mileage than the standard trucks or a comparable large SUV.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

So, buying a used ecodeisel with closer to 100K miles should be able to last for another 100K with good maintenance? At least in your opinion if the EGR is deactivated?

I am very interested in the light duty deisel engine trucks as it seems to fit my needs the most. It would be a daily driver where decent MPG is a need, as in better than 20 mpg. I also need to fit 6 in the vehicle when we would tow a travel trailer and it looks like this would get me the towing capabilities along with some better gas mileage than the standard trucks or a comparable large SUV.
Buddy has a JGC Ecodiesel. Was flawless until around 90K miles.

Now its been in the shop 3 times for Diesel stuff. Two times for EGR issues and once for a DEF injector failure.

The other trips have been for wonky climate control (no heat in winter), and random things failing and fixing themselves, like power locks, windows, radios that mysteriously stop working and start working again on their own.
JosephMarcus
how does the MPG math work out for this 3L eco diesel compared to the gas version?

sounds like you definitely are getting better MPG, but doesn't the DEF cost and maintenance cost make it where it takes a long time to recover the savings? asking for those that aren't towing of course.
Bobcat-Ag
https://www.government-fleet.com/156355/gas-vs-diesel-the-bad-investment-only-fleet-managers-know-about

This was a very interesting read.
WP69
AG
Maybe. If I were a fleet manager. He lost his argument with me on longevity....doesn't matter, it's a government truck; torque/horsepower....doesn't matter, it's a government truck.

I prefer diesels. I like the mid range punchy torque of the diesel and when I tow, I prefer to tow at 1500-2000 rpm and not 5000.
JosephMarcus
I agree on enjoying the diesel. I just always hear people say they are buying a diesel for the MPG and I don't understand how that makes sense.

There a ton of reasons to own a diesel. I just feel like if you are buying one only to save MPG and gas money- there are better options. But I dont really know the math on that so.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.