Stuck socket on idler pulley

1,155 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by ME92
ME92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2012 VW Tiguan problems

My daughter is replacing her serpentine belt. It's a tight space to reach the various pulleys. She has a socket, extension, and ratchet on the tensioner pulley.

But, now the stupid thing is stuck. The back of the ratchet is up against another immoble structure and she can't access the release button nor the direction switch.

There is a slight amount of wiggle in the ratch turning back and forth. The socket and extension are solid on the nut on the tensioner pulley.

I can't get to her to physically help as she is across the country. I'm looking for recommendations for ways of getting this ratchet/socket off.

Thanks in advance!

Second question: what would cause a serpentine belt to suddenly shred? Unknown how old the thing is but it looked ok in January when it was removed to get to the alternator. If it was routed incorrectly wouldn't the engine not function properly immediately rather than waiting for my kid to be 1300 miles away from her parents' help to fail?
Tim Weaver
The tensioner or any idler pulley bearing might have seized, which would shred the belt.

As far as the ratchet goes she's gonna have to switch directions and tighten the bolt back up. She'll have to use a wrench to loosen that bolt all the way.

Maybe she can get a flathead screwdriver in there to flip the direction? You gotta start thinking outside the box but really the only option where this comes out is to flip the direction switch.
Tim Weaver
You didn't say what car it is, but a lot of vehicles have more access through the wheel well. You'll have to pull the fender liner probably but that can give you a better view of the situation.
ME92
AG
Thanks all!
She worked on tonight and got it off in two minutes.

No idea why the ratchet and socket decided to cooperate tonight.

She also got a loaner tool from O'Reilly's and got the belt on in under ten minutes.

The right tools make easy work.
tree91
AG
Shout out to your daughter for putting on her own serpentine belt! I assume that there's a good parenting shout out warranted, too.
Tim Weaver
Thats awesome to hear. I love to see parents teaching their kids how to not be helpless with relatively simple repair jobs like this.

Good on her and you!
MouthBQ98
AG
Nice work. The classic ratchet bind trap. Backing the bolt out backs the ratchet into something that then binds it up or prevents the reverse mechanism from being activated before the bolt is fully out. You learn to watch for this and never get to that contact point again.

Sometimes you have to grab the socket with a tight Vise grip and tighten the bolt back in a bit to free the bind.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I was about to say turn the extension with another wrench or by hand. The ratchet will free spin but you should be able to turn the socket, thus the l turning the bolt and freeing the wrench!
austinag1997
AG
ME92 said:

Thanks all!
She worked on tonight and got it off in two minutes.

No idea why the ratchet and socket decided to cooperate tonight.

She also got a loaner tool from O'Reilly's and got the belt on in under ten minutes.

The right tools make easy work.

Honestly, sometimes taking a break helps.
tree91
AG
I was thinking about this thread today and it reminded me of this old pic. Had to post it.

erudite
ME92 said:

2012 VW Tiguan problems

Second question: what would cause a serpentine belt to suddenly shred? Unknown how old the thing is but it looked ok in January when it was removed to get to the alternator. If it was routed incorrectly wouldn't the engine not function properly immediately rather than waiting for my kid to be 1300 miles away from her parents' help to fail?
I've done work on the 1.8T that family owns... Similar I would guess.
1) Radiator fan hitting and shredding the pulley (unlikely, spin fan check for play)
2) Belt tensioner bearing locked up/failed (Most likely)
3) Failed water pump impeller caused WP pulley to sieze (unlikely)
4) Failed alternator pulley, belt wrapped itself around the pulley and then shredded itself (possible)
5) Belt slipped off (possible, you said didn't know how much it had been on there).

Take the belt off and rotate the idler pulley + tensioner pulley by hand. Make sure there isn't belt debris in the gears and you(r daughter) haven't jumped time.
ME92
AG
Thanks for the help everybody.

My daughter is definitely on the start of the car repair learning curve but she's a good student!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.