Volvo questions - XC60 - Houston dealership - Overseas delivery

473 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Tim Weaver
Strongwind86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a bunch of Volvo questions... Wife is looking for a new ride. Currently in a 2019 Lincoln Nautilus. We are pre-retirement - 4 or 5 years out.

Started looking at the Volvo XC60. The XC40 looks small - Don't need the third seat in the XC90. Would be a 24 or 25 model year. Gas/mild hybrid model.

Any experience in recent model (post covid) Volvos? I don't know much about Volvos - Come from a family that drives primarily Ford products, although I've owned Chrysler (minivans) Honda (minivans/accord/element) and some GM products in the 80's... My assumption from an ownership perspective is they are similar to BMW / VW / Mercedes Benz.
Maintenance costs run in line with other European models?
Assume the first 3-4 years / 40-50,000 miles of ownership are pretty normal as it goes on operating/maintenance?

Plan is to keep the car 5-6 years. We would average 12,000 miles a year on the car.

Any Volvo contacts in Houston area? Live out in Cypress. Downtown or westside dealers?

Volvo offers overseas delivery... anyone done the program?

Volvo Overseas Delivery Program

We are planning a trip to Sweden/Denmark in the next year or so - this could be part of the trip. Understand you plan the delivery through your local dealer after deposit. Looks interesting.

Thx SW '86
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
My sister did this. They picked up overseas.

I like Volvos except after 4-5 years, when warranty expires, they seem to nickel and dime you to death.
jrrhouston98
AG
Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company. This is from a buddy that works for Volvo and said they are not worth buying anymore.
Strongwind86
AG
jrrhouston98 said:

Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company. This is from a buddy that works for Volvo and said they are not worth buying anymore.

So Ford owned Volvo from 1999 to 2010 when it sold to Geely automotive in China. That was 14 years ago. Did something happen recently that changed your buddy's opinion?

I know the Polestar group is Volvo/Geely - but Volvo backed out continuing to fund the JV in February 2024?

It seems like Volvo is still operating on its own?...
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Strongwind86 said:

jrrhouston98 said:

So Ford owned Volvo from 1999 to 2010 when it sold to Geely automotive in China. That was 14 years ago. Did something happen recently that changed your buddy's opinion?

I know the Polestar group is Volvo/Geely - but Volvo backed out continuing to fund the JV in February 2024?

It seems like Volvo is still operating on its own?...

I think Geely owns 8 percent of Volvo group but 70ish percent of Volvo cars.

I think their cars now are being built more for Chinese market and tastes.

No more crazy R models with high HP and fantastic dynamics.

Now Hybrids and Electric and low pressure turbos to lease people and their dying old customers.

I saw a lot of Polestar EV Uber drivers on the west coast.
Tim Weaver
jrrhouston98 said:

This. I am a massive Volvo fan (currently daily driving an 05 XC70 with 200k miles), but I'm not touching any new Chinese ones.

They are beautiful cars, but the power trains are pretty buggy. The motor noise is also pretty weird and agricultural sounding which is off-putting in a luxury car.

They EAT brakes. Some owners are reporting needing a full set of brakes after as little as 10k miles.

The XC90 was voted the worst new SUV as far as reliability goes.

So yeah. Thanks China for ruining another fantastic brand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.