Rehoming 3yo Australian Shepherd

1,359 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by GhostWipe15
delablela
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are rehoming our Australian Shepherd. I have reached out repeatedly to multiple Texas Aussie rescues and they have not written me back for several months. I've also exhausted our local contacts. I was hoping not to have to "vet" homes for him, but figured TexAgs was our next best bet for finding him a good home, especially the kind we are looking for.

Jasper is a neutered male, 3.5 years old, AKC registered. We were given him by a family who had to offload him quickly due to health concerns, so we agreed to take him in at about 7m old. He was originally adopted by them with his brother, and the siblings were separated at that point (I believe this has led to some insecurity for him). He is overall a very good, well-trained dog. He knows sit, stay, place, down, recalls with a 3-burst whistle. He is good around large animals. He hates cats. Gets along with other dogs, does well at doggy daycare. He is very scared of thunder and fireworks (barks). Will do anything for cheese. Jasper loves chasing ANYTHING that runs and will occasionally herd/nip (this includes people). He is protective, although we have not seen him be aggressive with that, there is a possibility that he may (we haven't put him in that situation). He has been around small children (we have 4) and does really well with them except he runs into people and tends to knock small children over (this would apply to elderly as well). Jasper is constantly, and I mean constantly on the alert, making sure everything and everyone is ok.

Why are we rehoming?
  • Jasper struggles when left home for more than 5-6 hours at a time. We are a very active family with multiple children in activities/sports and are gone too long for him.
  • Jasper needs space. We live on a postage stamp in a newer neighborhood. This dog needs MINIMUM 10 - 20 acres to run around on. This is non-negotiable. I am not kidding when I say he is a beast and bloody fast. My husband bikes him 3 miles a day religiously and this dog needs more. He is at his happiest when he is out on the family ranch running circles around the house keeping tabs on everyone. Unfortunately, my extended family is unable to take him.
  • I was recently diagnosed with a chronic illness, and we didn't have the capacity to keep up with him before and most definitely do not now.
  • He needs a dogmate. We absolutely cannot take on another dog, but I think he would do well in a place where he had (preferably) another Aussie to play with daily. According to doggy daycare he has a blast with other Aussies, and does ok with everyone else.

He is otherwise healthy, up to date on vaccinations, goes to the vet yearly for checkups, microchipped, well kept, in good shape, and can run almost eternally.

We are located in the San Marcos/Kyle area. Serious inquiries only. Rehoming fee negotiable not looking to make money here but will only let him go to a good home.

PuryearFratDaddy
AG
Sorry to hear of your circumstances, I would post on the Outdoors board as well. May find a home or ideas/resources. Good luck with Jasper!!!
delablela
AG
Will do! Thank you!
Complaint Investigator
AG
There's a group called Adoptable Sport and Working Dogs on Facebook.

I'd post why he'd make a good sport/working dog (chases balls, quick etc.) and post him there.

I'd also rethink your 10-20 acres thing as a must. A dog who is worked in a sport daily can be worn out by an experienced handler. Flyball, herding practice, agility, slat mill, spring pole, hiking etc. I've got three Malinois on 1/2 an acre and they are worn out most days, but I also work them hard every day I'm home.
delablela
AG
Good points. I feel like we've tried all that. He's not super into play, mostly just surveillance. But someone else may have better luck with him in that.
GhostWipe15
AG
I wish I could help.

We are in the same area, and have a 8 year old mini aussie, but we are only on a 3/4 acre lot, and our dogs have the home to them selves while my wife and I are at work or on short day trips. They have a doggy door so they are free to go in and out and play as they wish.

I dont think our set up would be good for Jasper.

If you have posted on facebook or anything like that, let me know where to find the post and I can share it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.