Explain the MNB Blackout rule

1,161 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by OutdoorAg
Martin Cash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Astros are in NYC tonight. Game is on TBS, but it's blacked out for us, 1,800 miles away.

Why?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
- Are you in the NYC blackout area?
- Is the info in your cable provider / streaming provider set up to have your home location around houston or in the houston blackout area?
Martin Cash
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

- Are you in the NYC blackout area?
- Is the info in your cable provider / streaming provider set up to have your home location around houston or in the houston blackout area?
No, I'm in Central Texas. Hence the 1,800 miles away reference. I can stream it through Fubo, but why is it blacked out for viewers 2,000 miles away?
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't know the specifics for the Astros, but generally speaking the RSNs paid a lot of money to have exclusive rights within a certain area. The RSNs don't want to pay all that money and then have you watch the game on some other channel. Or have you buy the MLB.tv plan and then not watch it on their channel.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Blackout rules apply to the regions of both trans playing, not just the home team. Also the blackout areas for national games are probably larger than the regional ones
Martin Cash
AG
But if a game is on Fox TV or ESPN you can watch it anywhere. Makes no sense.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Martin Cash said:

But if a game is on Fox TV or ESPN you can watch it anywhere. Makes no sense.

ESPN yes. Fox, not really. They usually run 2 games on Saturday nights at the same time. Some parts of the country get it, others don't. The key factor with those two networks is there is no competing RSN broadcast.
ausag
AG
Probably a good thing you aren't able to watch tonight's game!
toucan82
Basically someone gets paid to come up with ways to make games harder to watch, then they hire one of their friends as a consultant to come up with reasons people aren't waching games
10andBOUNCE
AG
I did not understand a few weeks ago why I could not stream the Cubs game when they played the Astros. I am in the DFW area. Shouldn't I only get blacked out against any game they play the Rangers?
Mike Elko
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Blackout rules apply to the regions of both trans playing, not just the home team. Also the blackout areas for national games are probably larger than the regional ones
Freudian slip?

Bones08
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

I did not understand a few weeks ago why I could not stream the Cubs game when they played the Astros. I am in the DFW area. Shouldn't I only get blacked out against any game they play the Rangers?
The blackout regions can get really insane.

If you live in Des Moines, Iowa you are blacked out from Cubs, Royals, Cardinals, Twins, White Sox, and Brewers. Which means you can be blocked out from 12 teams and 6 different games assuming they are all playing opponents outside the six.

If you live in Anchorage, Alaska you are blacked out from Mariner games despite being almost 1,500 miles away.

Edit: Hawaii looks to be blacked out from Angels, Dodgers, Athletics, Padres, and Giants.
AustinAg2K
The blackout rules aren't meant to get you to go to the game, they are meant to get you to use the cable service. In reality, all it does is make people mad. I think everyone can see it's a bad deal for MLB except MLB.
dvldog
AG
MLB blackout map:

YokelRidesAgain
AG
I don't think any visual representation can reflect MLB's insane blackout rules.

People in Iowa can't watch the Royals.

Or the Cubs.

Or the White Sox.

Or the Twins.

Or the Cardinals.

Or the Brewers.

MLB surely hopes they will all become diehard Diamondbacks fans any day now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agracer
AG
AustinAg2K said:

The blackout rules aren't meant to get you to go to the game, they are meant to get you to use the cable service. In reality, all it does is make people mad. I think everyone can see it's a bad deal for MLB except MLB.
It's especially infuriating because the Royals singed a crappy deal with Bally Sports which in not available on any of the National TV streaming providers and only the local Spectrum TV service. Oh, you can buy the Bally Sports ap for $19.99/mo…. Which is about the same as the MLB TV service.

Just get a VPN on your tablet or if possible your router and stream whatever you want if you have MLB TV (got it free thru T Mobile).
Leander - Ag
AG
MLB are complete idiots
OutdoorAg
AG
Maybe they are blacked out because no one like a team that keeps on cheating.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.