Buying physical gold/silver
265,466 Views | 1871 Replies
Outdoorag011
8:34a, 1/28/22
In reply to Hungry Ojos
https://srsroccoreport.com/public/breaking-news-global-silver-coin-sales-reach-all-time-record-2021/

Silver coin sales hit a record in 2021. People all over the world are buying silver and gold. When it takes all year to mine globally 800 million ozs but it takes 1 second to trade 800 million digital ozsā€¦.. it slams the price. Banks can trade ozs they don't have. The CFTC doesn't care if people naked short sell silver.
Post removed:
by user
9:30a, 1/28/22
Post removed:
by user
10:07a, 1/28/22
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
7:25a, 2/2/22
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Ronald_Ragin
7:26a, 2/2/22
This thread has been very helpful! I want to dive into converting some cash reserves to silver rounds, but can't quite figure out what level of premium charge is a great, fair, and poor deal. Have been looking primarily at buffalo rounds.

Correct if I'm wrong, but for todays market, it seems:
- sub ~5% above spot, grab it
-5-7% above spot, fair deal depending on which round
->7% above spot, keep looking

Am I way off base here? Is there a real advantage is buying US mint vs private mint generics with some security indicator?
Post removed:
by user
12:15p, 2/2/22
Post removed:
by user
12:17p, 2/2/22
Aggiemike96
1:30p, 2/2/22
In reply to Ronald_Ragin
Exactly what Fat Sexy said. The lowest I see right now is $2,539 for a 100-ounce MintID bar (have to buy 10 of them though). That's a $2.60 premium per ounce (11.4%).
Lonestar_Ag09
1:43p, 2/2/22
For the noobs here just getting started (I'm through 5 pages of the 13 pages of this thread) is there explanation in this thread or can yall refer me to where to learn more about the basics...

Like what is spot, premium and any other numerous terms that mean nothing to the unwashed
mwp02ag
2:56p, 2/2/22
https://www.texmetals.com/buyers-guide

I found this useful when I first started.
Aggiemike96
3:43p, 2/2/22
In reply to Lonestar_Ag09
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

For the noobs here just getting started (I'm through 5 pages of the 13 pages of this thread) is there explanation in this thread or can yall refer me to where to learn more about the basics...

Like what is spot, premium and any other numerous terms that mean nothing to the unwashed
First, I'd recommend that you define your purpose for acquiring precious metals. Is it because the coins are cool? Is it to hedge against inflation? Is it to diversify your investment? Is it a hobby?

I have two primary objectives for my purchases. First, I love the Perth Mint's lunar coins. Bought two Tiger kilos a few weeks ago for example. Price isn't that important as I think they're cool. Second, I buy bars to hedge inflation and diversify my investments. They're not very liquid, but I can sell if need be.
Lonestar_Ag09
5:38p, 2/2/22
In reply to Aggiemike96
I would say because yes coins are cool but mainly just diversify and have other forms of savings other than just cash and traditional investments. cant really go wrong with a physical investment you can hold and store
Post removed:
by user
12:23a, 2/3/22
Post removed:
by user
12:30a, 2/3/22
Post removed:
by user
10:13a, 2/11/22
GE
11:50a, 2/11/22
I haven't read through much of this thread but wanted to check - is it safe to assume that the more you have to invest at a given time, the closer to the current spot price the gold purchased can get? If true, are there any rules of thumb for how close different amounts invested can get you to spot?
Post removed:
by user
2:05p, 2/11/22
Apache
2:48p, 2/11/22
Quote:

However, many analysts continue to watch silver's industrial component as the world develops green energy.
Green energy = less demand for silver?
Post removed:
by user
3:10p, 2/11/22
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
4:03p, 2/11/22
It takes about one ounce of silver to produce a solar panel today. So folks assume that with more solar, the price of silver will be driven up. Silver is the most conductive industrial metal (I think there's something else that's more conductive but it's vastly more expensive than silver). Gold is basically only used for jewelry and bullion.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Post removed:
by user
4:52p, 2/11/22
Post removed:
by user
2:38p, 2/14/22
jagvocate
3:09p, 2/14/22
In reply to [removed post]
Yes it has been quiet but I expect "the move" will be very fast and catch a bunch by surprise.
Post removed:
by user
12:24a, 2/16/22
Post removed:
by user
3:50p, 2/17/22
mwp02ag
10:52a, 2/22/22
Texas Metals has a sale on their 2022 Texas Silver Rounds dedicated to the Goliad Campaign, use code TSR222 for $2.22 off each coin which drops them to $29.10 each. I love this series.
CC09LawAg
7:05p, 2/22/22
In reply to mwp02ag
mwp02ag said:

Texas Metals has a sale on their 2022 Texas Silver Rounds dedicated to the Goliad Campaign, use code TSR222 for $2.22 off each coin which drops them to $29.10 each. I love this series.

I've been waiting on a dip to buy but went ahead and got in on this. I'm slowly trying to convince myself I need to stop trying to time my buys and just spread them out.
Post removed:
by user
8:13p, 2/22/22
CC09LawAg
8:23p, 2/22/22
In reply to [removed post]
FAT SEXY said:

Buying over time is definitely the best way to go. That said, it never hurts to have extra dry powder for rare buying opportunities.

Wanted to buy my first gold coin simultaneously but I think I can wait on that one to drop a bit lol
mwp02ag
9:06p, 2/22/22
In reply to CC09LawAg
Yep! It's just under 79 oz of silver for one oz of gold. Gold is on a little run and silver is lagging a bit.

I still have not gotten over the initial thought that if im not buying 100 oz of silver it's worthless. It was so hard for me to realize buying 1-5 coins every pay that I can really adds up over time.
Post removed:
by user
9:42p, 2/22/22
Post removed:
by user
9:50p, 2/22/22
CC09LawAg
11:13p, 2/22/22
In reply to mwp02ag
mwp02ag said:

Yep! It's just under 79 oz of silver for one oz of gold. Gold is on a little run and silver is lagging a bit.

I still have not gotten over the initial thought that if im not buying 100 oz of silver it's worthless. It was so hard for me to realize buying 1-5 coins every pay that I can really adds up over time.

As I told a friend, I am viewing precious metals as the old school bitcoin - nobody can flip a switch and suddenly make me penniless. Canada turned me off to just blindly dumping my money into the market. I'll play the game, but once the game is gone, it doesn't take much to be "rich".

Gold is sexy but I like silver because I can just randomly give a 1 oz coin away and not feel the pain in my portfolio.

Today was my first big silver purchase. Will probably try to watch my silver to ammo ratio.
RockOn
7:35a, 2/23/22
In reply to Aggiemike96
Aggiemike96 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

First, I'd recommend that you define your purpose for acquiring precious metals. Is it because the coins are cool? Is it to hedge against inflation? Is it to diversify your investment? Is it a hobby?

I have two primary objectives for my purchases. First, I love the Perth Mint's lunar coins. Bought two Tiger kilos a few weeks ago for example. Price isn't that important as I think they're cool. Second, I buy bars to hedge inflation and diversify my investments. They're not very liquid, but I can sell if need be.
If one is looking for a store of value that could easily be converted back to dollars in say 20 or 30 years - what gold coin or round would be best for that? I've been reading about the differences on texmetals website, but I'm not sure how rounds are viewed differently than coins in this manner.

(I own a 5-figure amount in GLDM gold etf but would like to also own some physical)
Outdoorag011
8:13a, 2/23/22
In reply to RockOn
Rounds and coins both have a place. Certain rounds are recognizable to most dealers. They will give you spot price or below spot for them. The problem becomes if you go to sell to someone who isn't a dealer or doesn't know that particular round, you may be at a standstill.

Coins are recognizable the world over. The gold eagle, maple leaf and krugerrand are recognized all over the world, even by people who don't stack precious metals. In my opinion, the most sought after/recognizable gold coin in the world is the krugerrand. All three are great coins and you can't go wrong with any of them, but the krugerrand takes the cake in my opinion.

Once again, you can't go wrong with an American gold eagle or Canadian maple leaf. Another thing to factor in though is premium. I haven't looked in a little while but I bet the premium on all three of these coins are pretty high at the moment. That is one thing rounds are better at, they usually have lower premiums. But for long term hold, I would go with an American gold eagle, Canadian maple leaf or South African Krugerrand.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 14 of 54
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings