Range Balls Carry Distance vs Normal Ball

1,325 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Matsui
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Ok, so I went to the range for the first time with the flightscope shot tracker I bought from one y'all. Talk about deflating my ego. On the course if the distance is like 150-165 I'm pulling my 7 iron out of the bag. But over 30 shots yesterday my carry was averaging 125.3. I thought it was wrong so I pulled out my range finder. It was pretty darn accurate. Would range balls really decrease the carry that much? I was hitting into a very humid wind some yesterday. I was just really surprised. Never had the data before, always just kinda guesstimated. But I do know how far it goes on the course. Now I'm like obsessed with my data and looking at ways to improve each area, primarily club head speed.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

On the course if the distance is like 150-165 I'm pulling my 7 iron out of the bag.
Are you consistently short of your target on the course?
khaos288
AG
Range balls can vary, but some are sold as much as 40% reduced distance.

It's VERY possible your real life game data vs range ball practice data is nerfed heavily.
Aggie369
AG
Typical new range ball is like 5-7% off carry distance

Some balls are restricted carry and those are much higher %
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
powerbelly said:

Quote:

On the course if the distance is like 150-165 I'm pulling my 7 iron out of the bag.
Are you consistently short of your target on the course?
No. My carry distance is usually a couple clubs shorter than the guys I play with, but I am pretty consistent with my hybrid and iron distance. Driver is another story...
Mr.Bond
AG
Range balls are a terrible metric to use for distance
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I guess so. Oh well I guess since it's consistent at least I can use my data to improve. I gotta get my club head speed up though. My driver is avg 86mph and I'm 45. Gotta start exercising more
Mr.Bond
AG
Ever heard of a MISIG?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Bond
AG
https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3183858/0#discussion

bowhuntr
2nd the MISIG…it's not your strength. Likely flexibility and form - too much arms not enough lower body action.
G Martin 87
AG
The value in using range balls is to work on better contact and face control, not distance. If your range sessions mostly consist of trying to maximize distance in a straight line, you're not getting the most benefit.
agracer
AG
Golf Digest did a test of range balls they collected from 1/2-dozen ranges/courses and used the mechnical hitting machine to test the distances with a 7I and a driver.

This was from 2014 but I don't think a lot has changed with range ball tech

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gd-tested-range-balls

Matsui
AG
Pretty cool data
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.