Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Pool Vacuum Recs?

742 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by RoyVal
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I bought my house 9 years ago, the pool came with an existing Polaris vacuum similar to the one below. It obviously had several years of work prior to my adoption of it. I've rebuilt the thing a few times but I think it's now on it's 9th life.

Any recommendations on newer model vacuums? I'm not totally sold on the Polaris vacuums and leaning towards one of the newer looking models.

Captain Winky
I have a Dolphin Premier and just got a Betta Pool Skimmer. We have a bunch of oak trees around the pool and it is a giant PITA every time the leaves drop.

The Premier has been working well without issue and we got it because it has a large bag option for picking up leaves. Now that I have the skimmer, I just wish the Premier was cordless so I could run it at the same time I run the skimmer. The skimmer gets caught on the cord and struggles.
agnerd
AG
Got the cheapest dolphin they have and it's much better than the pressure cleaner. There's no adjustments to make to get it to work right or keep it running right. It does like to turn clockwise a little more than counter clockwise, so I spin it around about 10 times once a month. But it's much better at getting the sand and dirt out. They were both good at getting leaves.
The System
AG
Any of the maytronic robot cleaners are great and will clean way better than the old Polaris. The problem is they are not cheap, don't last too long (3-5 yrs), and parts are near impossible to get. I've been waiting on a wheel kit for almost a year.

I rigged up a fix for the wheel kit, but very disappointed that maytronics would rather just sell you a new unit than try to help you repair your current one.

As someone posted above, buy the cheapest maytronic cleaner but prepare for it to crap out right outside your warranty window.
SharkinAg
AG
Captain Winky said:

I have a Dolphin Premier and just got a Betta Pool Skimmer. We have a bunch of oak trees around the pool and it is a giant PITA every time the leaves drop.

The Premier has been working well without issue and we got it because it has a large bag option for picking up leaves. Now that I have the skimmer, I just wish the Premier was cordless so I could run it at the same time I run the skimmer. The skimmer gets caught on the cord and struggles.

I run a the pool cleaner through my skimmer in conjunction with my betta pool skimmer. Huge difference. I don't know if it's an option for you, but I bought some weights for the hose and it allows my skimmer to work pretty good while using the suction cleaner.

I'm also in the market for a true robot. I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger. The skimmer has made an awesome difference for this that haven't tried one.
Texker
AG
I've had a Dolphin for 4 years. Would recommend. Not sure if the connection still exists but I bought it from Marina Pool and Spa in Colorado. Ask for Margaret.
PlanoAg98
AG
Do you recommend the SE or SE Plus? The current cost difference is only $30.

Betta SE - $328.90

Betta SE Plus - $358.90

PlanoAg98
AG
Went ahead and picked up the Betta SE Plus - $358.90 skimmer. I'll have 2 cordless cleaners in the pool and looking forward to a sparkling pool this sprint/summer/fall.
Old School Brother
The System said:

Any of the maytronic robot cleaners are great and will clean way better than the old Polaris. The problem is they are not cheap, don't last too long (3-5 yrs), and parts are near impossible to get. I've been waiting on a wheel kit for almost a year.

I rigged up a fix for the wheel kit, but very disappointed that maytronics would rather just sell you a new unit than try to help you repair your current one.

As someone posted above, buy the cheapest maytronic cleaner but prepare for it to crap out right outside your warranty window.
This is why when I bought mine, I paid the $80 or somewhere around that for the Amazon extended warranty. They will give you a replacement if they can't have it fixed within a short window. I've had a couple of friends use it with success. It extends the warranty to 6 years.
PlanoAg98
AG
I didn't see the Amazon extended warranty option for the models I bought.

Dolphin Liberty 300 Cordless Magnetic Charge Robotic Pool Vacuum Cleaner up to 33 FT - Easy Removal

Betta SE Plus - Solar Powered Robotic Pool Skimmer with Dual Charging Options, Shallow Water Safeguard, and Twin Salt Chlorine Tolerant Motors
RoyVal
AG
I just bought the dolphin S200 a few months ago and so far I really like it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.