MLB com Ball 5 chant

2,254 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by RED AG 98
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You kids made MLB.com. don't think that vests your pension, but be proud (and keep the chant on time! Slow down, get it right!)

https://www.mlb.com/news/what-is-the-texas-am-ball-5-chant
VAXMaster
AG
And while we are at it, how about getting the DJ to lay off the high energy music during the ball call. You have what is considered to be the best homefield advantage in all of baseball and the stadium music operator tries to drown it out. Makes no sense but at least they are required by rule to shut up when the pitch clock starts.
FTAG 2000
AG
Will Johnson '01 doesn't know when it started?

Class of 2000 here and we were always doing this during games in the 1996-2000 time frame.

Thanks for telling us you weren't a baseball fan back then, Will.
Gyles Marrett
FTAG 2000 said:

Class of 2000 here and we were always doing this during games in the 1996-2000 time frame.

Parents were season ticket holders through the 80's and 90's while I was a kid. Spent most Saturday's and Sunday's at Olsen. It's been going on since my earliest memory of games. It's legendary so who knows when it started lol.
fatdad84ag
AG
I remember a guy named Marc R was saying it back in 1981. Of course, there were barely 1000 fans for many of those games, but we sat right on top of the visiting dugout and he was non stop verbally abusing the other players. We even had Ricebird Buddies shirts made honoring Clint Heard who was injured and was allowed to coach 1st base some innings.
StinkyPinky
AG
VAXMaster said:

And while we are at it, how about getting the DJ to lay off the high energy music during the ball call. You have what is considered to be the best homefield advantage in all of baseball and the stadium music operator tries to drown it out. Makes no sense but at least they are required by rule to shut up when the pitch clock starts.
DJ talk has infiltrated the Baseball pages! Don't let the Zoo know.

And for what it's worth, I agree. Let the chant shine on its own!
PaulsBunions
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

So you're saying they were already doing it when he arrived on campus and therefore the start date is unclear? I don't see how that's a knock on Will lol
trouble
AG
We all wish Ashley would get a clue about this
dabo man
AG
It started (en masse) at Olsen about '97 or '98. Was around forever before that, it was just done by small groups.
FTAG 2000
AG
PaulsBunions said:

FTAG 2000 said:

So you're saying they were already doing it when he arrived on campus and therefore the start date is unclear? I don't see how that's a knock on Will lol
Did you read the article?

Quote:

"I hear different things about when it started," Will Johnson, an '01 A&M alum and current broadcaster, told me over the phone. "I would say the first time I really saw it fully was in the mid-2000's, maybe '05 or '06?

If Will didn't see it until 2005-2006, he sure wasn't going to games when he was a student.
agspirit_09
AG
I love the last line in that article: "when you make 7,000 feel like 50,000, you know you're doing something right."

AgLA06
AG
It took 1 post to complain on a thread about something being great.
TheBonifaceOption
I'm sure there is some old ass ag in the 90s who was saying "gimme ball 5" after a 4-0 walk.

Ball is thrown, "gimme ball 6!! Can't find the strikezone?"

Called strike. "Well done, you finally got it over the plate."
dabo man
AG
Most of the SWC schools had a ball four chant. We started ours at five to be different. When I got to Olsen (1991) it would be small groups doing it.
NiagraSpews2014
AG
She gives 0 ****s
fightintxaggie10
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Dude, I'm class of 10, and I can tell you it was definitely not what it is today, in fact I don't remember it at all. I remember a lot of other chants.
LB12Diamond
AG
Spring 93 was my fish year and it was being done already. No idea when it first started but remember loving it when I was in school.
RED AG 98
AG
Class of 98. We did it but it was very different. Not only slower but more of a drone than what is it today - Tibetan monk style if that makes any sense. And I think it was mostly 203; others may have joined but it definitely was not to the level of crowd participation there is today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.