Fiberglass pool?

1,001 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Cartographer
MrsGDub04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi, does anyone have experience installing a fiberglass pool at their home? Was curious if there were any local companies that did this, and also if people have any recommendations for or against doing fiberglass. Thanks!
LOYAL AG
AG
I don't but my concern in this area would be soil stability. We're going to do a pool this summer and it'll be concrete. Pool Guy said 8" concrete in some spots and 12" in others, I don't recall the reasoning for the difference. We're out near the river so there's a decent amount of sand where we live but that aside the clay concentration in this area will stress whatever your pool is made of.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
doubledog
Our fiberglass pool lasted about 20 years, then one bad (draught) summer and that was that.
AG1996
as a structural engineer, i would have issues with soil movement and fiberglass. It can be done, but concrete is pretty much a guarantee. Here are the things to consider and some advice

1. With fiberglass you have limited options as to shape and are most definitely limited on size. if it that is not an issue great, but nice to get what you want.
2. Do you want a hot tub? you can save a ton on a concrete pool leaving this out. We have used ours 2-3 times over 2.5 years. Would not have one again.
3. do you plan on being in the house long term? if not, fiberglass might be an issue for resale. Talk to a good realtor.
4. If you go fiberglass make sure you are comfortable with their plan to install and mitigate soil movement issues. Ask about this specifically.
5. as with anything around here and with clay soil, keep the yard and flower beds watered around the pool all year. Even in watering restrictions you have to keep it watered. the shrink we get around here as the clay dries is incredible. Also, NEVER empty your pool of water.
6. do you want a deep pool? may be an issue with fiberglass, but saying that I had a 9' deep end in my last house and will never do that again unless the pool is massive. My pool now is max 5'. People and kids don't really dive in, just want to play.
Jbob04
AG
We have a fiberglass pool and absolutely love it. I actually wanted it over concrete due to the clay at our house. Fiberglass pools are backfilled with crushed stone which moves easily with the soil. We used Aqua Pools and I highly recommend them.
MrsGDub04
AG
Thank you for the replies! What is the danger of having a drought? Does it cause the pool to crack?
johnnyblaze36
AG
AG1996 said:

3. do you plan on being in the house long term? if not, fiberglass might be an issue for resale. Talk to a good realtor.
I'm an agent and currently have an eight year old home under contract for a buyer of mine. They asked if the pool was gunite or fiberglass. When I told them it is gunite his response was "Great-that just saved this sale". I'm not exactly sure why he was so opposed to fiberglass but it is a valid point worth considering.
Cartographer
Soil movement is a real problem here.

Many stories of pools that pop out of the shell due to uplift, roots pushing through the sides of the pool, soil caving in walls. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Do what you want but there's a reason you don't see many of them in our area. If you want to go the cheaper route, maybe consider an above ground pool.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.