Range Rover Caught Fire

2,528 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by erudite
Chris Work
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought someone on here might have some insight on this. Or, it might serve as a warning.,,,

Yesterday, my wife's 2018 Range Rover (less than 60,000 miles) caught on fire on 249 on her way from IAH to Bryan to get our dogs. She is fine thankfully. Range Rover is toast. Front end was in flames and is largely gone. We had some minor glitches with the electronics on this SUV and I replaced 1/2 the brakes a year ago. Other than that, it was a good vehicle until it wasn't.
Silvy
AG
Chris Work said:

I replaced 1/2 the brakes a year ago.
Well at least we know why it caught on fire
CanyonAg77
AG
Silvy said:

Chris Work said:

I thought it caught fire because that is traditional for English automotive electric systems
Chris Work
AG
The brakes weren't the issue. I did all the service at Land Rover. I knew there was a break issue and they said one or the other needed to be replaced. I don't recall which. That was $5,500. I would have done both if needed. So far, this is a typical smart azz TexAgs response.
Buck Compton
AG
Chris Work said:

The brakes weren't the issue. I did all the service at Land Rover. I knew there was a break issue and they said one or the other needed to be replaced. I don't recall which. That was $5,500. I would have done both if needed. So far, this is a typical smart azz TexAgs response.
I know this sucks. Glad your wife is okay.

But the brakes thing is a running gag on this board for years now. A poster once chastised anyone for doing their own brakes. Someone can dig up the thread. Maybe it'll help to laugh.
Jock 07
AG
$5,500 for brakes?
JSKolache
JSKolache
AG
Range Rovers are ***** Their electronics have been garbage for decades. Nice to look at and they are hoping you trade in after 3 years.
OnlyForNow
AG
Being serious here.

There is a reason we all talk **** about Range Rovers, they are POS.

Glad your wife is ok, and sorry about your car loss, get insurance money and move on. Don't buy another one.
fixer
What are you replacing the Ronge Rover with?
SCHTICK00
AG
Jock 07 said:

$5,500 for brakes?

Sounds to me like it's closer to $11,000 for brakes
Silvy
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Silvy said:

Chris Work said:

I thought it caught fire because that is traditional for English automotive electric systems
It's a relatively new thing. Back in the day, the Irish would take care of automotive electrical systems
OnlyForNow
AG
This is an IRA joke right?
Chris Work
AG
Probably a Lexus.
Silvy
AG
Chris Work
AG

Sims
AG
The previous 2 posts in succession couldn't have been more well timed.
maroon barchetta
Chingao!
malenurse
AG
You should get something known for reliability and no electrical issues.

Alpha Romeo Stelvio
Corps_Ag12
AG
Probably for the best, otherwise you'd of been screwed over on trade in eventually.
Bronco6Gen
Didn't they have a recall in 2018 because of leaky fuel rails? I seem to remember something about that.
GrapevineAg
AG
OP, glad your wife is okay.

Back in the day, there was a reason they called Lucas the "prince of darkness" - English autos were notorious for lights going out and other electrical failures. "Don't let the smoke out of the wires" or something to that effect.
Goat Man
AG
OP, I am very glad your wife is ok.
Here is my Rover story: Good friends of ours had a Range Rover many years ago. I believe she bought it a bit used and had problems from the start. The final straw was her watching the rear spoiler fly off while driving along the SH 6 bypass and realizing she had to make the loop and pick it up because she had already paid to replace the original spoiler and knew how ridiculously priced it was.
With that being said if I were loaded I might still own one. They are beautiful and the ride and drive is fantastic.
Redstone
AG
Bought a Toyota and that brand was the top of my list to avoid.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm glad your wife is OK. I'm sure this is a stressful time for you guys. I hope your insurance company makes this an easy process. I would recommend Lexus next.
aTm2004
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Being serious here.

There is a reason we all talk **** about Range Rovers, they are POS.

Glad your wife is ok, and sorry about your car loss, get insurance money and move on. Don't buy another one.

And don't buy her a Chrysler product unless she wants to have RRTSD.
erudite
CNN Daily Mail reporter is shaking in his shoes while typing up the news now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.