***** Sumo 2024 *****

929 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by OCEN99
OCEN99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been following the spring tournament currently underway after it showed up in my Youtube recommendations, and it's been quite a surprise to see two rookies at the top of the tournament top division standings. Takerufuji, in his first top division tournament, is the sole undefeated competitor, and right behind him is Onosato in just his second tournament in the top division. These two faced off this morning.

It looks like Takerufuji will be facing the top veterans in the division from here on out, so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep his lead intact over the last 5 days of the tournament.
OCEN99
AG

Huge congrats to Takerufuji for winning the tournament after an injury scare on day 14, making him the first rookie in 110 years to win the yusho.
Dr.Rumack
GrapevineAg
AG
I record "Fight Sports: Grand Sumo" and then binge watch several episodes on occasion. I really like it as a pure sport. I don't follow it close enough to know all the fighters, but I recognize a few.
cochrum
AG
Man they move so fast! They would be awesome lineman in football lol
Tanker123
Are either of them Mongolian? Some of the best Sumo wrestler have been Mongolian wrestlers in the modern times. Just being curious.

This is a Mongolian wrestler turned Sumo champion. He has thus retired but he is considered one of the best Sumo champion of all times. I believe he was around 6'6" 340 lbs. You can see that he had a lot of muscle going on. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Mongolian+Sumo+Wrestler&FORM=IRIBIP
OCEN99
AG
Takerufuji and Onosato are both native Japanese. The current yokozuna Terunofuji is Mongolian, as well as the the two guys ranked just below him (Kirishima and Hoshoryu).
OCEN99
AG
Pre-tournament rankings for May are out today. Looks like Onosato and Takerufuji both got big promotions this round.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.