Northern Exposure…..

9,137 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by maroon barchetta
deadhead aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
…..now streaming on Amazon Prime….such a great cast of personalities and so cleverly written…

I forgot just how annoying and obnoxious Dr. Fleischman is early on….Maggie smoking hot as always….Maurice, Chris, Ed, Holling, etc., etc., etc…..gonna be a fun ride again !!
91_Aggie
AG
Remember when she wore a texas a&m shirt?
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Watching now! I was a bit too young for it when it came out. I have been so sad that it has not been streaming the last few times I have looked over the years. Enjoying it so far. John Corbett is too big fir this show. Fleishman was obnoxious in the pilot but has settled down as I go through season 1.
C@LAg
John Corbett. Been nailing Bo Derek since 2002.

My younger self's hero.

torrid
AG
At one point, I think the producers of the show were going on a speaking tour at various colleges including UT and A&M. Presumably they drove from one to the other. I remember hearing towns named "Snook" and "Old Dime Box" in the show.
Aggies76
AG
Watched first 3 episodes tonight. I think when we watched it in the 90s we missed the whole first season, so it's good to get the back stories.

One of our favorite shows. Thanks Deadhead for letting us know.
LMCane
deadhead aggie said:

…..now streaming on Amazon Prime….such a great cast of personalities and so cleverly written…

I forgot just how annoying and obnoxious Dr. Fleischman is early on….Maggie smoking hot as always….Maurice, Chris, Ed, Holling, etc., etc., etc…..gonna be a fun ride again !!
back when I was a teenager

literally lost my virginity in 1990 as the woman (18 year old) and I were both so into this show and watching it together. the original "netflix and chill"

fond memories!
deadhead aggie
AG
i'm into Season 4 already and i gotta admit, it's a totally different experience watching it today.....

i guess when it first came-out, everything on the show seemed to be so unique, eccentric, and bold.......case in point, the focus on Native American culture and tradition.........i don't recall many sit-coms at the time dedicating any screen time to this......yeah, NAs are abundant in Alaska, but the show goes the extra mile in highlighting and celebrating it so much.....nowadays, multiculturalism is force-fed down our throats on TV, so the mysticism of it all is gone......

and of course there's the music.....cinema, opera, rock-and-roll, blues, etc.......that's what i remember the most about the show......all spun by Chris in the Morning...he was the real deal.....he was who my buddies and I wanted to be.....the perfect life and the perfect mind.......
batchuser
91_Aggie said:

Remember when she wore a texas a&m shirt?

Was that the chick that was passed around the Dallas cowboys locker room and was knocked up by jerry junior?
maroonblood
AG
I remember watching that show back in the day. The writing was very unique, dry, and witty. My daughter, who is now a sophomore at A&M, loves to watch Gilmore Girls. I watched an episode with her recently, and the banter reminded me of N.E.
MookieBlaylock
AG
My dad used to watch this show mostly for Maggie- now I get to watch it with my son and mostly for Maggie

The circle of life
Aggies76
AG
Anybody enjoying this as much as I am ? We are in the middle of season 3. Love these characters. This may be my second favorite series ever.
deadhead aggie
AG
maroon barchetta
Aggies76 said:

Anybody enjoying this as much as I am ? We are in the middle of season 3. Love these characters. This may be my second favorite series ever.

I've been watching an episode while eating dinner or (on the weekend) lunch. I'm in Season 3 (I think). Chris just launched a piano with what he says is a catapult, but it looked like a trebuchet to me.
Aggies76
AG
Adam is so great
Aggies76
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I've been watching an episode while eating dinner or (on the weekend) lunch. I'm in Season 3 (I think). Chris just launched a piano with what he says is a catapult, but it looked like a trebuchet to me.

It was a trebuchet. The producers brought over a guy from Europe to build it for them. The g-forces acting on the piano caused it to start breaking up in mid-air when it was launched.
maroon barchetta
Aggies76 said:

maroon barchetta said:

It was a trebuchet. The producers brought over a guy from Europe to build it for them. The g-forces acting on the piano caused it to start breaking up in mid-air when it was launched.

It was fantastic!
Sex Panther
AG
Just finished season one. It's a great show... I was really, really young when it first aired but I remembered my parents loved it. Looking forward to season 2
FL_Ag1998
AG
Opinions on the show post-Joel?

My dad and a teenage me loved the show and it was a mandatory weekly viewing appointment for us. But I do remeber that it just wasn't the same after Joel departed.

Although conversely, I wasn't into Maggie in the beginning with her super short cut, but once she grew it out a little.....wow!
Aggies76
AG
I haven't rewatched the post-Joel part, but I remember the final season seemed a little strange.
WestGalvestonAggie
Absolutely some of the best television ever made during its time. It still holds up remarkably well all these years later. And the music. Outstanding!

Oh, and most of the cast is still alive, which is kind of amazing...
Rudyjax
AG
They wanted to do a re-boot with Joel returning, but it never happened. Very sad.

Thanks for the reminder. i'm going to do a rewatch.

Gonna be weird being older than all but 2 of the main characters instead of younger.
Philo B 93
I tried to watch it a few times over the last few decades via Netflix DVDs in the mail. I never got into it, but I always wanted to. Well friends, sometimes life wants you to wait until the time is right to experience certain events, and for me that time is now (read in Chris' voice).

I'm halfway through season 3, and I'm happily addicted. And even though the show lives in my head more than any show in the last few years, I still wouldn't call it "great". It's just such a mental vacation every time I watch it, that it's climbing the ranks of my all time favorite tv shows with every episode. I had to wait until my 50s to get it.

I hope we get to discuss some of the weird things about the show like the random fourth wall breaks or politically incorrect things that seemed so normal in the early 90s. "I don't love you for your mind, Shelly. I love you for your body."
Aggies76
AG
Just watched the breaking of the 4th wall in S2E6. Normally I'm not a fan of this because it takes me out of the story. But somehow this managed to be funny because it fit right in with the show's quirkiness. I especially liked how they all stayed in character.
Philo B 93
I'm 2 1/2 seasons in on my first watch. A small part of me now lives in Cicely, Alaska. How can that be? Here are a few things I've seen in less than half the show's run (spoilers through Season 3 Episode 9):

1. Joel Fleishman is threatened at gunpoint into serving his duty in Cicely (episode 1).
2. Joel Fleishman is kidnapped and held Stephen King Misery style by Adam and Eve Arkin.
3. A questionable relationship between a 62 year old man and a 22 year old girl.
4. An ex-astronaut capitalist runs two guys out of town because they're gay.
5. Maggie has sex with Chris to get him over a dry spell, an event that is publicly celebrated by the town.
6. A massive fourth wall break during a pistol duel between Maurice and a Russian.
7. The town has a miraculous cure for the flu which consists of covering the body with animal poop.
8. A healthy 75 year old woman is proud that she is down to smoking only one cigarette every other hour.
9. Same 75 year old woman dances on her grave with a high school Indian kid.
10. Holling makes a public event out of fighting a woman police officer because of spring fever.
11. Holling stands his bride up on her wedding day, and all is well.
12. Ostriches stop laying volleyball size eggs because they don't like capitalism.
13. Something something about Chris the DJ. Coolest guy on tv.
14. No cops in town.

I realize the weed was weaker back in 1990, but the writers must have used a lot of it. Still.... great freaking show.
Rudyjax
AG
Gonna start a rewatch.

We used to watch reruns of northern exposure at 12am. Sports center at 1am. And Law and order at 2am.

Aggies76
AG
"5. Maggie has sex with Chris to get him over a dry spell, an event that is publicly celebrated by the town."

I thought that was just "The Big Kiss". Maggie got cold feet, right?

This episode is one of my favorites. The way Joel was trying to pry info from Chris about what Maggie was like in bed… so funny.
Txmoe
AG
Thanks, OP, for alerting me to the fact that NE is on Amazon. Been working through the episodes and enjoying rediscovering the show. Currently a third of the way through season 5. General reactions so far:
  • Even though I can fast forward through the theme song, I never do cuz it always makes me happy.
  • While Joel is obnoxious early on and Maggie is hot as can be, I'd forgotten that a good bit of the friction between them is generated by Maggie. In fact, Maggie's "man issues" make her come off a little crazy.
  • Glad they added Elaine Miles (Marilyn) and Peg Phillips (Ruth-Anne) to the opening credits even though it took until season 3.
  • I'm happy any time I see Adam or Leonard show up.
  • I love how they include and involve Native Americans in the series. They are treated very matter-of-factly and I haven't seen any of the usual stereotypes. (I'd forgotten about the Thanksgiving episode where the NAs throw tomatoes at white people. Marilyn's speech at the end was particularly memorable.)
  • I generally like Anthony Edwards but his story line was a total snooze fest for me.
  • You can tell a big shift in tone moving from season 4 to 5. Series creators Joshua Brand and John Falsey left the show after season 4 to develop other series. They selected David Chase (creator of The Sopranos) to be the new showrunner and he took it in a different direction. The show lost a lot of its whimsy (IMHO, one of its best features), and so far in season 5, each episode is just one of the characters suffering an existential crisis.

Still a great series and completely original!
maroon barchetta
Maggie is a woman. Over 30 by that point.

You think she might be crazy?
Aggies76
AG
I rarely fast forward through the theme song. And there are some NE Spotify channels which I'm currently enjoying.
Txmoe
AG
Aggies76 said:

I rarely fast forward through the theme song. And there are some NE Spotify channels which I'm currently enjoying.
One of the things I forgot to mention is all the great music you hear at Holling's bar. Great 90s country and many lesser-known gems. Whoever picked the music for the series definitely knew good music.
maroon barchetta
Txmoe said:

Aggies76 said:

One of the things I forgot to mention is all the great music you hear at Holling's bar. Great 90s country and many lesser-known gems. Whoever picked the music for the series definitely knew good music.

It's called The Brick!!
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Thanks for bringing this up, my wife an I have been trying to find shows we missed in the 1990-2000s.
We watched NE sporadically at the time, but now can binge it in order.
That era of TV up until the 2010s had too many great shows to watch them all.
Rudyjax
AG
My wife never watched it.

She was half in and out first episode.

My daughter looked at it for 2 seconds, and said, it's old. No.

LOL
Aggies76
AG
torrid said:

At one point, I think the producers of the show were going on a speaking tour at various colleges including UT and A&M. Presumably they drove from one to the other. I remember hearing towns named "Snook" and "Old Dime Box" in the show.

Very cool. Just watched that episode tonight (S4E9).
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.