The Great Canon and Life of St. Mary of Egypt was Yesterday

893 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Sapper Redux
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Its probably the most drastically different experience between my protestant roots and orthodoxy. No lights are on, just a few candles up front and for the readers as the church gets dark from the sun setting. There are five parts. The first, third, and fifth part is a walk through of the bible, highlighting Gods mercy and justice and man's failings in front of God, and ending with the story of Jesus. With each line read. it ends with the laity saying 'Lord have mercy' and a full prostration. Lots of full prostrations. The second and fourth parts are a reading of the life of St. Mary of Egypt. A repentant sinner who lived a life of extreme asceticism and devotion to God out in the desert across the Jordan river.

Here's a pretty informal telling of the story:

And here is reading of the actual text of the life of St. Mary of Egypt.

Its an incredible story of repentance and devotion. Just thought I'd share as I nurse sore legs today.

When I try to describe to others what was missing from my nondenominational upbringing, its easy to say the 'fullness of the faith'. But that is really hard to actually nail down what that looks like. It was hard for me to see it when I was an inquirer. And this service and preservation of the life of St. Mary of Egypt is just one example of the 'fullness'. You listen to the story, and ask God for mercy over and over again, and leave knowing you can better perform the church cycle of forgive, confess, repent, and partake. All while increasing in prayer, fasting and almsgiving.

Palm Sunday is coming up on April 28th, if anyone wants to come taste and see I'll happily host. There is a fish fry afterwards, we'll have more than two fish and five loaves. Come join.
747Ag
AG
The story of St. Mary of Egypt is incredible. I love it.
TSJ
AG
I am feeling the soreness today! What a beautiful service though!
Klaus Schwab
I love St. Mary. Her story is amazing. Hope the fast is going well for everyone. Almost there.
Klaus Schwab
one MEEN Ag said:

Its probably the most drastically different experience between my protestant roots and orthodoxy. No lights are on, just a few candles up front and for the readers as the church gets dark from the sun setting. There are five parts. The first, third, and fifth part is a walk through of the bible, highlighting Gods mercy and justice and man's failings in front of God, and ending with the story of Jesus. With each line read. it ends with the laity saying 'Lord have mercy' and a full prostration. Lots of full prostrations. The second and fourth parts are a reading of the life of St. Mary of Egypt. A repentant sinner who lived a life of extreme asceticism and devotion to God out in the desert across the Jordan river.

Here's a pretty informal telling of the story:

And here is reading of the actual text of the life of St. Mary of Egypt.

Its an incredible story of repentance and devotion. Just thought I'd share as I nurse sore legs today.

When I try to describe to others what was missing from my nondenominational upbringing, its easy to say the 'fullness of the faith'. But that is really hard to actually nail down what that looks like. It was hard for me to see it when I was an inquirer. And this service and preservation of the life of St. Mary of Egypt is just one example of the 'fullness'. You listen to the story, and ask God for mercy over and over again, and leave knowing you can better perform the church cycle of forgive, confess, repent, and partake. All while increasing in prayer, fasting and almsgiving.

Palm Sunday is coming up on April 28th, if anyone wants to come taste and see I'll happily host. There is a fish fry afterwards, we'll have more than two fish and five loaves. Come join.
Prots are missing the liturgical calendar which excludes feasts that have eternal realities. I feel really bad for some of my evangelical members who are obsessed with the red heifer and prophecy while they are completely missing out on actual Christian Tradition. It's brutal to watch but they want it their way.
Leonard H. Stringfield
Egypt is well known for it's long history of pagan goddess worship.
CrackerJackAg
AG
Leonard H. Stringfield said:

People in North American people have a long history (10,000 years plus) of faith worshipping the sky, trees and their ancestors.

Only the last .03 of their existence has been nominally correct.

Only about 3% of people that have ever existed accepted Christ as their savior.

Leonard H. Stringfield
CrackerJackAg said:

People in North American people have a long history (10,000 years plus) of faith worshipping the sky, trees and their ancestors.

Fascinating.
Many of those pagan ideas over in the mid-east were absorbed by the Catholic sect. Including emphasizing the mother of the savior, involving worship, prays etc. etc. Lots of idolatry contained within that system. Are you familiar with the ant people spoken of by the Hopi of N America?
Sapper Redux
The Franciscans and the Dominicans weren't incorporating anything from native beliefs. They were quite strict about breaking down native culture, part of the reason you had multiple massive, bloody Pueblo uprisings. The Jesuits in New France did much more to understand and incorporate native traditions in how they preached, resulting in much more success. However, the idea that native traditions flowed back into European Catholicism has no basis in any literature I've ever seen.
CrackerJackAg
AG

CrackerJackAg said:

Fascinating.
Many of those pagan ideas over in the mid-east were absorbed by the Catholic sect. Including emphasizing the mother of the savior, involving worship, prays etc. etc. Lots of idolatry contained within that system. Are you familiar with the ant people spoken of by the Hopi of N America?

Ridiculous. Ignorant. Embarrassing yourself.
PabloSerna
AG
I don't know about all that. I happen to know that it was a Dominican friar, Bartolme De Las Casas, that wrote the Spanish crown about the rights and mistreatment of native peoples. I have translated diaries from Franciscan missionary priests that see the dignity of native people in everyday life. So, there is much more to it.

Probably the most significant event in the spreading of Christianity took place in central Mexico where an Aztec, Juan Diego, encountered the. Virgin Mary. The miraculous image on his tilma he showed the local Bishop nearly 500 years ago, still hangs in the basilica in the center of Mexico City.

The conquest of the Americas was a violent and at the same time an incredible event. The Aztec people had foreseen this in their literature, which was preserved by those pesky monks- amazingly God had prepared the way.
Leonard H. Stringfield
Yes, from Maryism (pagan godess worship) to celebration of Easter (Pagan Goddess Ishtar) the system has a history of sacrificing truth at the alter of acceptance, growth and $$. Corrupt. Nasty.
Sapper Redux
De Las Casas was not typical.

The Pueblo Revolt in 1680 had an explicitly anticlerical (particularly anti-Franciscan) aspect.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.