A&M cutting back on DEI

5,688 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by 12Power
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So back to tu she goes...

https://texasscorecard.com/state/update-nyt-diversity-advocate-rejects-ams-journalism-director-offer/
Dark_Knight
AG
Good riddance
leoj
AG
What a way to treat a fellow Aggie. Good luck getting any quality candidate to take over the program now.
Rongagin71
AG
Yeah, my understanding is that McElroy was offered an unusually good contract, and this was highly publicized, all before informing and getting the approval of the BOR.
I suspect the whole maneuver was done this way so as to set up a complaint if she was not hired, and I fully expect a lawsuit against the university. This how the left takes over institutions - hire us or get in trouble.
I don't expect the University to suffer any other consequences. In fact, becoming known as one of the few schools that still teaches ethical, conservative (as in report the facts separate from opinion) Journalism might do us well.
Another Doug
AG

We've had our asses handed to us in Journalism for years, then we find an Aggie, with a background in sports reporting, major newspapers, and was the Director of Journalism at a school with a journalism program that is light years ahead of our (and not to mention our in-state rival).

Threw it all away because some old ags got their ******* hurt because the lady thinks racism is a thing.

Not only did we welch on our deal, but we didn't even have the balls to say no outright, we just kept changing the terms until they left. Spineless.
Rongagin71
AG
I agree with anyone who says we should not hire racists.
Our difference probably is that I consider DEI to be racism, as does the State.

SchizoAg
AG
Another Doug said:

Threw it all away because some old ags got their ******* hurt because the lady thinks racism is a thing.
Wrong. It's because she openly states that journalists should prioritize political activism over truth-seeking/reporting. That's why the profession is so debased, and it's the last thing we want to contribute to as Aggies.
Another Doug
AG

Interim Dean stepped down today, I'm sure he sucked too.
kcucasiobmij
I mean he could have avoided telling McElroy all the dirty laundry and ****ing over his employer.

His obligation was to serve A&M's interests, not blame everything on racists running A&M from the shadows.
94chem
I didn't even know that we had gotten rid of the College of Science. Biology and Chemistry are in the College of Arts & Sciences. Biochemistry and Genetics are in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. I don't know why that happened, but anything that might keep a few pre-meds out of The College of Arts & Sciences can't be all bad.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Al Bula
AG
Perfect representation of the inner workings of higher education:

Another Doug
AG
Looks like A&M is just cutting back on leadership positions in general at this point.
Rongagin71
AG
So off to retirement Banks goes.
Former USAF officer and head of the Bush School temporarily taking her place.

Edit to post a pretty equitable article by Forbes/Microsoft News.
Notice McElroy saying she "felt damaged by this entire process" -
and she was, but it was her own fault for pushing DEI.
Still, I'm no lawyer and cannot predict how a lawsuit will go.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers/texas-a-m-president-resigns-after-conservative-pushback-against-journalism-professor-and-dei/ar-AA1eaTKL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=dd10b41644aa4b9183ebd9138f1ad4fd&ei=9

Buck Turgidson
SchizoAg said:

Another Doug said:

Wrong. It's because she openly states that journalists should prioritize political activism over truth-seeking/reporting. That's why the profession is so debased, and it's the last thing we want to contribute to as Aggies.
She's a left wing activists, as nearly all "journalists" are today. She would have spread leftist rot at A&M. We dodged a bullet.
Buck Turgidson
Another Doug said:

Good riddance to that POS too. Unfortunately, he's still on the faculty.
Rongagin71
AG
As predicted, she threatened lawsuit and, of course, was promptly rewarded.

https://texasscorecard.com/state/lawmaker-demands-answers-from-texas-am-over-1m-payout/
cevans_40
AG
Another Doug said:

We've had our asses handed to us in Journalism for years, then we find an Aggie, with a background in sports reporting, major newspapers, and was the Director of Journalism at a school with a journalism program that is light years ahead of our (and not to mention our in-state rival).

Not only did we welch on our deal, but we didn't even have the balls to say no outright, we just kept changing the terms until they left. Spineless.

Imagine caring about what the woke mob thinks this much.
Another Doug
AG
cevans_40 said:

Another Doug said:

What you considered the woke mob is the overwhelming majority of the best HS students our state is producing. All of these self-inflicted wounds are taking a toll on our reputation. Once upon a time an argument could be made there was an academic reason to choose A&M over Texas. Now our best students mostly didn't get in, or didn't get the major they wanted at Texas.
Rongagin71
AG
So, what are students learning at that university?
I prefer that, if A&M is to have a Journalism school at all,
that it NOT be a school of propaganda for either side.
But in today's world fair and balanced means conservative.

https://texasscorecard.com/state/george-soros-funds-race-centered-journalism-at-ut-austin/
2000AgPhD
Another Doug said:

How inept do you have to be to essentially get canned from a deanship TWICE? He wasn't renewed in College of Liberal Arts after one disastrous term and then they bring him back to screw it up again? I'd say the Administration got what they deserved.
Another Doug
AG
2000AgPhD said:

Another Doug said:

How inept do you have to be to essentially get canned from a deanship TWICE? He wasn't renewed in College of Liberal Arts after one disastrous term and then they bring him back to screw it up again? I'd say the Administration got what they deserved.
"Canned" right into a higher paying leadership position in the provost office.
Rongagin71
AG
McElroy scheduled to receive $1million by Monday, Aug 14.
Wonder if she will share it with anyone?

https://texasscorecard.com/state/state-rep-harrison-requests-investigation-into-texas-ams-payout/
halfastros81
AG
Agree. We will have no problem getting a quality selection to head the journalism department and hopefully it will be someone that won't have a leftist agenda in mind . My personal opinion, we should embrace being a beacon of unbiased and factual reporting rather than the typical propaganda machine that most journalism departments and outlets have become. It would be a positive differentiator.
Rongagin71
AG
Getting state info is not easy...but needed to investigate DEI and other rip offs.

https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-agencies-charge-thousands-of-dollars-for-transparency/

aggie93
AG
Another Doug said:

cevans_40 said:

Another Doug said:

What you considered the woke mob is the overwhelming majority of the best HS students our state is producing. All of these self-inflicted wounds are taking a toll on our reputation. Once upon a time an argument could be made there was an academic reason to choose A&M over Texas. Now our best students mostly didn't get in, or didn't get the major they wanted at Texas.
That's simply not true. There are a LOT of kids and a LOT of parents of kids that would like to go study somewhere that isn't a Woke indoctrination club.

If we had hired her we would basically just be trying to be a cheap lower end copy of Texas. Kids that are Woke aren't coming to A&M over Texas for something like Journalism if it is pushing the same stuff. If they are they are coming to try and change A&M not to embrace it.

The path for A&M is to offer something different. That doesn't mean we need to be hardcore conservative but simply being fundamental news based journalism would be appealing. Most Journalism schools now are pushing advocacy not reporting. Find some of the "old school" journalists and offer them a home to teach, don't try to just be another advocacy school and a lesser one at that.

BTW, Journalism is the #1 most Regretted Major. If it is something we are going to offer we need to find someone trying to do it in a new way and not follow the mistakes that other schools are making: Top 10 Most Regretted Majors
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Another Doug
AG
There is a lot of parents that say that, but if little Timmy gets into Stanford and Liberty guess where there going to go.
Buck Turgidson
Agreed - a certain segment of A&M faculty and alums have been trying to make us a second-rate copy of t.u. for decades. The football board is full of such "Aggies".

Regarding this particular professor, she was a woke ideologue who would have been a cancer at A&M. We never should have even started discussions with her. Typical of leftist race-baiters, she instantly claimed that she had been "damaged" due to imaginary racism. This was an almost automatic way to get the cowards in academia to buckle and give her a wholly undeserved settlement. She's a grifter in a way that nearly all loud race-baiters and leftist faculty are. We are better off without her, and its infuriating that she was able to extort free money from our chicken-**** administration.
Buck Turgidson
Another Doug said:

There is a lot of parents that say that, but if little Timmy gets into Stanford and Liberty guess where there going to go.
Liberty is a poor example for this comparison. You intentionally picked a woke university with the highest name recognition and ratings in various publications and compared it to a much lower ranked conservative university that is making great strides but hasn't had 400 years of good PR yet. A somewhat better comparison might have been, say, Brown or Tufts vs. Hillsdale. Given that choice, I'd recommend Hillsdale.
12Power
Wrong. It is still about 50/50. A&M doesn't need to cave to satisfy liberal opinions. We'll be glad to take the top ranking intelligent students who are conservative and have common sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.