**** Nintendo Switch 2 Thread ****

4,852 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Artorias
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With all the rumors and leaks coming out in the past couple of weeks, I figured I'd throw up a thread where we can post new info for those interested.

Basically, here's what we "know" so far...

• Price is expected to be in the $400 range.
  • Release date some time after April 2024.
  • LCD, no OLED on the launch model.
  • New cartridge format, but most are expecting full backward compatibility.
  • Performance - various devs have described it as somewhere between a PS4 Pro and PS5. (One article said within 15% of Xbox Series X.)
  • Will be using Nvidia DLSS upscaling.
  • Dev kits are able to run an enhanced version of BOTW in 4K, 60fps.
  • Able to run the Matrix Unreal Engine 5 demo with no visual difference to current gen.
  • The most heavily rumored titles for the launch window are Metroid Prime 4, a new 3D Mario, and a new Donkey Kong game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And just for my personal wish list, I would love to see all the Resident Evil games ported to Switch 2.

I expect a ton of the biggest sellers of the current gen to be dropping within the first couple years.

That, coupled with the already extensive Switch library, and just a couple AAA Nintendo releases in the first year or two, and I think Nintendo is primed to have another massively successful console on their hands.

Really feels like they learned all the right lessons from the disaster of the Wii U.
Artorias
AG
GIVE ME METROID PRIME 4!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Artorias
AG
I worked on MP3, I am well aware how long it has been. MP4 and Elder Scrolls 6 are the two games I have been waiting on FOR - E - VER !!!
WGann3
AG
I passed on the Nintendo Switch as I've been way more of a PC gamer for most of my life, but I was always a big Nintendo fan on the side... Owned an SNES, N64, GameCube, and Wii and that was the last console I purchased. I've been close to picking up a switch in the last few years just to play some of the 1st party titles like Odyssey and just never did it. But this Super Mario RPG remaster might literally get me to bite the bullet and score a used Switch 1 so I can play it... That's how much I adore that game.

So what I'm trying to say is I really hope the Super Mario RPG remaster sells so well that they make a true Super Mario RPG 2 now that Nintendo and Square are playing nice again these days. Unfortunately the Paper Mario series just never moved the needle for me.
Artorias
AG
Mario Odyssey and the two Zelda games are more than worth getting a Switch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Artorias said:

I worked on MP3, I am well aware how long it has been. MP4 and Elder Scrolls 6 are the two games I have been waiting on FOR - E - VER !!!
What did you work on for MP3? Great game.
Artorias
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Artorias said:

What did you work on for MP3? Great game.
Built alot of the worlds for Bryyo, Skytown, and Pirate Planet
Designed the Front End and Pause Screen/Visor menus
Scripted most of the cinematics in the game
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's awesome.
WGann3
AG
Artorias said:

I'll go ahead and just take the beating... never been a big Zelda fan at all. Played through A Link to the Past, OOT, and Majora's Mask and while I liked them all fine I just didn't love them like everyone else seems to. I dunno Link just looked so gooberish in everything and I think I let that ruin it for me haha. So I'd be in on the Switch mainly for the Mario and Metroid titles. The two open world Zelda's look cool though if you're a Zelda fan. Really cool you worked on MP series.
aezmvp
Always heard hood things never played it.
zip04
AG
I'm a PC gamer who owns a switch. BOTW was really good and was worth playing. Odyssey isn't worth buying a switch for, but was a fun game for short play times (30-45 minutes at a time). I stopped playing TOTK at about 10 hours in and haven't gone back yet and am in no rush to do so. Starfield, Baldur's Gate 3, and Cyberpunk 2077 are consuming all of my gaming time right now.
fig96
AG
Haven't owned a Nintendo in a long time but will definitely be picking up one of these…probably in like 2025 when you can actually get one.
WGann3
AG
It's an extremely accessible JRPG. Pretty short too. But it's magical.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
10 hours of TOTK is basically the tutorial. Did you make it to the surface?
zip04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

10 hours of TOTK is basically the tutorial. Did you make it to the surface?

I have more than 10, don't know for sure. I've got about 1/3rd the surface map uncovered and a little under ground. Haven't done any bosses though.
The Fife
Artorias said:

I worked on MP3...
Civen
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

• Ughhhhh. Flashbacks to the WiiU where backwards compatibility meant "we just shoved the wii hardware in the back of the case"

Took forever to load, was a super awkward experience trying to use it.
    CC09LawAg
    WGann3 said:

But this Super Mario RPG remaster
    You just made my entire week with this information. I never thought this day would come!

Man, I would love it if this thing had a revival and they'd make some sequels. One of my favorite games of all time.
    DallasTeleAg
    I kind of felt the same with TotK. It never grabbed me like BotW, and I have around 25hrs or so in TotK.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    Civen said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

• Ughhhhh. Flashbacks to the WiiU where backwards compatibility meant "we just shoved the wii hardware in the back of the case"

Took forever to load, was a super awkward experience trying to use it.
    Yeah, the way Wii U did it was not great. Two separate interfaces is just annoying. (That said, the animation of the Pikmin carrying your data over was pretty adorable.)

My hope would be that your entire Switch account carries over, NES/SNES/N64 Online stays the same, and your Switch games load up in the same menu, or at worst, it has a subfolder for all your Switch games.

There's also been some chatter that due to a new cartridge, only downloaded games would carry over. That would absolutely suck for guys like me who prefer physical media. 80% of my library is physical. Two cartridge slots may add extra bulk, but I would hate to lose those...
    boy09
    AG
    WGann3 said:

Artorias said:

I'll go ahead and just take the beating... never been a big Zelda fan at all. Played through A Link to the Past, OOT, and Majora's Mask and while I liked them all fine I just didn't love them like everyone else seems to. I dunno Link just looked so gooberish in everything and I think I let that ruin it for me haha. So I'd be in on the Switch mainly for the Mario and Metroid titles. The two open world Zelda's look cool though if you're a Zelda fan. Really cool you worked on MP series.
    I've never played any other Zelda games, and BotW and TotK are probably my 2 favorite games of all time.

I bought a Switch when Odyssey released just to play that. I never really had any intention of playing the Zelda games because it didn't seem like my thing. Glad i finally did.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    I notice that a ton of people weren't into Zelda before absolutely love BOTW/TOTK, and a lot of older Zelda fans who didn't love the new open-world. (Admittedly they are completely different type of games.)

There are things I miss, like chests, new items, more dungeons, and a more linear storyline, but that said, I love pretty much all Zelda games.
    WGann3
    AG
    Interesting to hear. If I wind up giving in to temptation and buying a Switch on the cheap for Super Mario RPG and Odyssey, I'd possibly give the two Zelda games a shot just to see if hype was warranted. I do love me some 3rd person open world games - sunk hundreds of hours into Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn on PC (edit to say I realize these aren't exactly apples to apples comparisons).

I've got a 3 year old and soon to be 6 year old that the Switch makes all the sense in the world to break them in on before I can actually get my hands on a Switch 2 later next year. I'm hoping some serious sales happen for this holiday season and I can grab a new one for a reasonable price.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    Latest rumor is that the cheaper Switch 2 will not play physical Switch cartridges, but the higher end one will.

https://mynintendonews.com/2023/10/15/rumour-nintendo-planning-to-release-version-of-the-switch-2-without-backwards-compatibility/

Great news, imo. I have no problem paying more if it means keeping my Switch library.
    hph6203
    AG
    Hopefully the wording is just poorly laid out and the lower priced version will play last gen digital content. That would be incredibly stupid if not. It doesn't seem like they're shifting architecture so I doubt there's any reason why the lower priced version wouldn't be capable of playing Switch games.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    You'd think so, but being Nintendo, hard to say for sure.
    Andrew Dufresne
    I really wish they would call it the Super Switch
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    Super Nintendo Switch
    Andrew Dufresne
    Are any of y'all Kirby fans? I've always felt like it was an underrated franchise. I know the games sell and are popular to an extent, but it seems Kirby is the least talked about when it comes to Nintendo exclusives.
    NC2001
    AG
    I'm still waiting for a good football game on the Switch. I'd love to see NFL Blitz or NCAA Football (if it ever gets released).
    dtkprowler
    AG
    We play a ton of kirby in our house. Great games for kids, especially forgotten land or whatever it is called. Lots of cool power ups and mechanics. Pretty beatable game for younger kids. Some harder challenges if you want to up the difficulty.
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    So any thoughts on when we finally get an official announcement Direct?

There's usually a Direct in February, but most people seem to be saying it'll probably be spring.
    IrishAg
    NC2001 said:

I'm still waiting for a good football game on the Switch. I'd love to see NFL Blitz or NCAA Football (if it ever gets released).
    I'm still waiting for a good football game to be released on any platform right about now
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.