Austin
Sponsored by

2024 Property Taxes

3,715 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
Red Pear Felipe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Howdy Ags!

I'll be using this to thread to post any news about our upcoming 2024 property taxes. I'll be editing as we get more news on our taxes. Gig 'em!

The deadline to apply for a homestead exemption is on April 30th. The deadline to protest is on May 15th or 30 days after the notice of value was delivered to the property owner, whichever is later.

Property Tax Rate

New year brings changes to property tax system

I'm a Texas homeowner. When will I see my tax cut?

Travis County homeowners see $600 property tax cut

Property tax statement concerns grow, deadline nears

Round Rock's thriving economic development program powers local jobs, low property taxes

Texans are paying the 7th highest property taxes

Texas Republicans want to eliminate property taxes

Despite cuts, Texans still struggling with property taxes

Tax breaks OK'd for Travis County child care centers, landlords

Weakness in CRE market could create heavier property tax burden for homeowners

Lt. Gov. Patrick asks senators to study the cost of eliminating property taxes
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
shertown04
AG
I will be paying extra properly taxes for.a long time because my builder was 6 weeks late finishing the house. Our house was supposed to finish end of 2020 but got delayed to Jan 2021 so I couldn't file homestead until 2022 since I didnt live in the house Jan 1 2021. 2021 value was 294k. 2022 value was 562k. My mortgage company then took this jump and their algorithm somehow determined my taxes would double again in 2023 and forced an extra $1k/month into my escrow. I called multiple times and sent them my actual 2023 property tax statement showing my taxes went down and they lowered it $100. If they can't figure out a better estimate this year I'm just going to pay lump sum myself and skip escrow.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
Where did you build? Was the initial amount only calculating the taxes based on the land value? That's something that usually happens with new builds. I always tell my clients to make sure the builder tells them to calculate what the monthly payment is going to be with land plus improvements. I knew someone from my former school where I taught at that had a freak out moment when his monthly payment went up by about $500-600 because the payment was based on the land alone.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
HECUBUS
AG
Market values here (central West) went up 70% from '21 to '22.
SteveBott
AG
70%? That's a new one. The numbers I've seen is a 40% increase to end of 22 but a 5-10% decrease in 23.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
Texans are paying 7th highest property taxes

Quote:

The states that pay the lowest real estate property taxes are:
  • No. 1: Hawaii 0.27 percent
  • No. 2: Alabama 0.39 percent
  • No. 3: Colorado 0.49 percent
  • No. 4: Nevada 0.50 percent
  • No. 5: South Carolina 0.53 percent
  • No. 6: West Virginia, Louisiana, Delaware, Utah (tied) 0.55 percent
  • No. 10 Arizona, Idaho, and District of Columbia (tied) 0.56 percent

New Jersey had the highest property tax rate in the country with 2.33 percent.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
Texas Republicans want to eliminate property taxes

Quote:

Residents in Texas pay an effective tax rate of about 1.7 percent, one of the highest in the country, according to Rocket Mortgage. A median list price for a home is close to $285,000, with average annual property taxes of nearly $4,800.

During Tuesday's vote, Texas Republican voters told their party leaders they want to eliminate property taxes. The question was posed to Republican primary voters as a way to help shape the GOP's legislative priorities. Since it wasn't an official ballot initiative, it won't immediately change the property tax system in Texas, but could put pressure on legislators.

Part of the push for tax cuts in the state is spurred by the state's massive budget surplus that has hit record levels of $33 billion, according to The Texas Tribune.

I recently did see this when I went to vote last week. Would this actually be able to get passed?
SteveBott
AG
Pretty sure that was just a primary voter dream wishlist. There is no real push in the state legislature, yet, to abolish the property tax. Mainly because there is no viable replacement. (Think income tax)
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
I noticed my tax assessed value went down in Hays County!
tamc93
AG
TCAD needs to get under control. Market is down, but new record high for my house.

fourth deck
AG
Appraisal came in lower this year than '23 here in Round Rock.
jopatura
AG
My appraised value in '24 dropped over $100k from '23. Our neighborhood absolutely got destroyed in '23 because we're sandwiched between new builds. I guess someone actually looked at the values this year because they are pretty accurate. Of course we're still playing catchup on the 10% cap. TCAD.
Aston 91
AG
I'm in NW Austin and our appraisal went up $86k. Land value stayed same, house went up about 17.5%. Completely random - most houses on our street went down, some stayed the same and one other house went up a grand total of $6k. I'll be protesting (again) - there is no objective data that supports such an increase.
Furlock Bones
AG
market value jumped 300K. TCAD is out of ****ing control.
AgGrad99
AG
Mine when up a bunch, again. Always does, so I dont expect anything different.

I just took a look, and it's nearly doubled in 5 years. Five!!
SwansAg14
AG
SE Austin - down 2.5% from last year. Still plan on having Ownwell challenge and see what the final result will be.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
they're going to squeeze you regardless of appraisal. They know their budget and how much theyre allowed to increase without going to voters. If your appraisal doesnt increase enough to meet budget growth (2.5 or 3.5% depending on jurisdiction) they will raise the rate. The state keeps buying down rates, but the locals eat up the savings before it gets to homeowners (when they can). If your jurisdiction is voting on anything other than a no new revenue rate your taxes are going up, regardless of appraisal.
fig96
AG
Leander here and we're up 5k, I can deal with that.

Had a crazy initial appraisal last year for 100k over what we paid after building in the summer of '22, filed the protest directly with WCAD with our sales docs and a suggested price and they gave us 60k under what we bought it for.
txags92
AG
Down 2.5% in Bastrop County. Lots of new homes still being built around us, but the available ones seem to be taking longer to clear the market.
momlaw
AG
Experience with appraisal protest firms?
The good and the bad?
Some of the online reviews indicate there are a number of bad ones.
Thanks
tamc93
AG
We have used Five Stone.

Success is relative in the market the last few years, so more of establishing a pattern and history for me.

Hopefully this year they have success.
ausag
AG
I used one other, but they started charging fees even if they didn't save you any money. I switched over to TaxProtestMap. They only charge if they save you $. No issues with them so far!

Here is a link to signup ($15 credit):

https://www.taxprotestmap.com/invite/m3gdkb7et9
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I protest myself and Ive never not had it come out in my favor. How much do you pay a company to protest?
ausag
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

I protest myself and Ive never not had it come out in my favor. How much do you pay a company to protest?
I had the same experience as you and wasn't worth my time. TaxProtestMap charges 33% of what they save you. Seems like alot but you are still saving. Better than nothing.

https://www.taxprotestmap.com/dashboard/faq
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
when you say 33% of what you save, does that mean savings on your appraisal or the resulting savings in property taxes?
tamc93
AG
Typically on the taxes they reduced.

In my case, they have reduced the value, but not the taxes since the appraised value shot up so high and the 10% rule is being applied.

No taxes saved, no % for them. I do get charged a flat rate of under $200 if they do not save anything for their effort. I am fine with that since my time is worth more than that.
SwansAg14
AG
I use Ownwell. This is my second year but last year they were accurate in their predicted protest value (lowered it by $35K) so I am using them again.

https://www.ownwell.com/?owl=36DA7Z9B9
Reload8098
AG
Tennessee doesn't have an income tax and sports some of the lowest property taxes in the nation. There's either some serious fraud going on in our state grovernment or massive social services but sumptn is up.
txags92
AG
Reload8098 said:

Tennessee doesn't have an income tax and sports some of the lowest property taxes in the nation. There's either some serious fraud going on in our state grovernment or massive social services but sumptn is up.
Tennessee doesn't have a border with Mexico they need to defend because the feds won't.
austinag1997
AG
SteveBott said:

Pretty sure that was just a primary voter dream wishlist. There is no real push in the state legislature, yet, to abolish the property tax. Mainly because there is no viable replacement. (Think income tax)

I would overwhelmingly support a state income tax over property tax. I want to retire one day and own my home. Right now, I am set to rent it from the County.
Reload8098
AG
txags92 said:

Reload8098 said:

Tennessee doesn't have a border with Mexico they need to defend because the feds won't.

But I don't think that explains decades of high property taxes.
Reload8098
AG
How about a higher sales tax? That way even illegals are contributing instead of just being a money suck.
txags92
AG
Reload8098 said:

txags92 said:

Reload8098 said:

But I don't think that explains decades of high property taxes.
What mechanism does Tennessee use to fund education? The border issue is not a recent thing in Texas, and a big part of our education funding issue is how to fund districts with low tax bases, a large number of students overall, and high numbers of kids that require ESL or other remedial assistance to catch up to where they should be. Then again a big part of our issues are how much money gets spent to fund cadillac football programs, while ignoring other parts of the educational system.
Reload8098
AG
Lottery and some of the property tax. Memphis has the highest property taxes in TN and the worst schools. We moved to Knoxville/Farragut and the property taxes are some of the lowest property taxes in the nation. Farragut public Highschool average SAT is over 1300.
txags92
AG
Reload8098 said:

Lottery and some of the property tax. Memphis has the highest property taxes in TN and the worst schools. We moved to Knoxville/Farragut and the property taxes are some of the lowest property taxes. Farragut public Highschool average SAT is over 1300.

I am old enough to remember when the lottery was going to fix texas school funding…
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.