West Texas
Sponsored by

Safe parking overnight in Abilene

1,738 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by wildcat08
TequilaMockingbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trying to get ideas. I'm meeting my son in Abilene next Friday, where we're planning to ditch one of our vehicles (likely mine) and driving together to Waco for a football game. We'd spend the night, make a quick trip to Rockdale, then drive back and probably get back to Abilene around 3-4 pm Saturday.

I figure the airport would would be a likely choice. But I've also wondered about just parking at Walmart or maybe Abilene Christian University (I used to do a lot of work there). Or maybe at the hospital on the south side on US 84.

Any ideas?
wildcat08
AG
The airport would work and be the safest. The Wal-Mart at I-20 & 351 would probably be your best bet otherwise. Lots of trucks park on the south side, and you could probably park near them. With ACU back in session, you might get a ticket there.

Edit to add: Wal-Mart has the advantage of being free, so there's that.
TequilaMockingbird
So, I called the Abilene airport. Turns out their "secure" parking isn't even fenced in. They do the occasional patrol. I'm sure it's somewhat better than Walmart, but not by much.

I think the Walmart on I-20 will do for one night.
TequilaMockingbird
This worked out for me. Would recommend.

Oh, and they they tore down the Whitten Inn!
wildcat08
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

This worked out for me. Would recommend.

Oh, and they they tore down the Whitten Inn!
Very goodwas wondering how it went.

Yeah, we were out of town for a week or so, and came back and it was half gone. Interested to see what they put there. More eating establishments, I'm guessing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.