Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Got my first Band-Move response Letter

7,900 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by zmurda
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write and express your views related to the recently developed band policies in the Big 12 Conference. The Conference is a membership organization and our office does not have the authority to enact policy without the vote of our member institutions. The decision to move the bands outside of the 25-yard lines and away from the visiting team bench area was not taken lightly. After several years of review, the athletics directors, faculty representatives, presidents and chancellors voted to approve several measures related to sportsmanship and game management including the band seating policy.

The recently adopted regulations are not intended to be disrespectful of the bands, the young people who perform in them or the traditions of our universities. The Aggie band is outstanding and I personally enjoy watching it perform. But I don't believe the policy adopted by our member institutions is unreasonable and I am confident all bands can continue to contribute positively to the game atmosphere without being seated behind the visiting team bench. The adjustment will enhance the communication level for the visiting team, including the Aggies when they play on the road.

Thank you again for your support of the Aggies and your interest in college football.

69huslinone
AG
That is a load of ..... tu brand manure....

it is about the bucks, nothing but the bucks, and everyone in the conference sold out for the bucks.

Our band has been on the fifty since Kyle was built.

Argh. Pattuee.
5C
AG
GGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
Rec
AG
they have been thinking about THIS for several years??? do we really even need these people?
gonzo97
I cannot believe this is such a big issue. I have never heard a single coach, player, fan, mascot, cheerleader, trainer, ball boy, official, or water boy state that they honestly believed the band effected the teams ability to communicate during the game.
Jock 07
AG
That's what they have headsets for
nu awlins ag
AG
gonzo, really? you've never heard a coach or player complain about the band!!! Come on, it has decided amny games over the years and it is about time that someone stepped in and did something about it!! I commend the officials for their efforts. It is efforts like this that............for Pete's sake, these people actually got together and thought this out, let alone put it on paper!!! Comic genius or real men of genius, you decide.
MarvinZindler
AG
On a related note, the Big 12 is considering posting the "When To Go For the Two Point Conversion" chart on every sideline in order to make the playing field more level.
ZoneClubber
AG
quote:
it is about the bucks, nothing but the bucks, and everyone in the conference sold out for the bucks.

check yourself. How is the conference or an opposing school going to make money off of moving the band? They don't make money from an opposing school's seating.

Somebody at the conference level must have really sold this as being a problem.

General student seating behind the bench would be far more disruptive than the band.
ThatNguyen
5C
AG
^
|
|
|
moron.
Chuckwaggie
AG
I think the Big 12 should worry more about their referees actually showing bias on the field of play, ala the sip loving zebra, pumping his fist after a touchdown.

This is just part of the whole problem that includes the NCAA. They would rather bust teams with so called "racial" mascots, even when that institution had permission to use that name.

TRIVIAL!!!
navy57
S
What's next? A conference-wide ban on orange water coolers and ice chests?

And maybe they could move the student body to the other side, too.

How STUPID !!

Gig 'Em, Aggies !!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Received from:

Melanie Ellis
Melanie@big12sports.com

Probably the dude's secretary, couldn't write back himself.
AggieKatie2
AG
I think BB has done some smart things while he has been here but he still doesn't understand what tradition means to us....basically he has sold out again.
ArcticPenguin
It is all about the green backs baby!
ZoneClubber
AG

where does it say Bill Byrne was for this move? Do you know how he voted?

you are free to return to the lynch mob...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Yeah the vote could have been 7-5. I trust BB to have voted for what he knew would be our stance on this.
annie88
AG
CRAP! THIS WHOLE THING IS CRAP! I think I hate the Big 12 now!
Wildmen06
AG
I think we should start a confrence wide petition and getting the PLAYERS of the 12 teams and asking them whether or not the bands actully affect them on the sidelines. Then when they continue to ignore us give it to the media and see what excuse they come up with to justify themselves
Wyoming Aggie
AG
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!
Wildmen06
AG
Its not the fact that they are moving the bands now, its the fact they are getting away with it, i mean whats next are they just going to play the game in a sound proof bubble and we can all watch it on our new big screen video board
Wyoming Aggie
AG
Honestly, why is this a big deal? Am I missing something?
AggieBand2004
AG
Rock - It's a big deal because placement of bands, visiting fans, etc is a matter for each school to decide on their own, not for the conference big wigs to rule over.
Jock 07
AG
Kinda like a states right issue
kjaneway
AG
quote:
I think BB has done some smart things while he has been here but he still doesn't understand what tradition means to us....basically he has sold out again.
Where does it say that?

Why do some of you always assume the worst of BB?
AggieBand2004
AG
Exactly like a states' rights issue. And I'm a conservative, so I say leave it to the schools.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
We should have gone to the SEC. Is it too late?
BQ_90
AG
The big deal is why should the Big XII be instituting stupid arse rules. Can anyone name any problem between a school's band and the opposing team.

Funny how the Big XII won't address the bad behavior of the CU fans, tceh fans ramming goalpost into the visiting fan section, players getting arrested with 5 pounds of pot in a BIG XII BAG.

Like somebody on another thread said. What's next, the Big XII doesn't like fans storming the field. So, if they push this rule through, forget about fish running down the Yell Leaders.

The Cav. is pretty close to the opposing cheerleaders and fans, what's to stop the Big XII from preventing them at the game.

It's funny, the Big XII worries about crap like this instead of really trying to get a good tv deal for the conference.

Wildmen06
AG
sure its a big deal, honestly what does the band have to do with the playing of a football game, nothing at all!! The atmosphere of the game is what makes college football great, before long it seems like they may just get rid of the bands entirly claiming the reflection of the sun off the instruments are blinding the payers on the field
bigdm
AG
Another reason not to care for $bill.
BQ_90
AG
quote:

Explain how Bill Byrne has anything to do with this.

Dro07
AG
quote:

another reason to say that some people are farkin idiots.
ZombieElephant
AG
quote:
I am confident all bands can continue to contribute positively to the game atmosphere without being seated behind the visiting team bench.
That's the whole point.
Bands being behind the visiting team's bench contributed negatively to the game atmosphere.

And we like it that way.

aTm2004
AG
Waaa Waaaa!!!! I can't hear or talk to my players....Waaaa Waaaaa!!!

Well Ags, looks like we'll have to be a little louder during TO's ('04 OU style).
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.