Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pinto beans cook time seems long

1,470 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by rlb28
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I covered some pinto beans with water last night. I put them on the stove at 7 a.m. (instructions say simmer for 1-2 hours) and came back home at 10 a.m. and they were still hard. How long do pinto beans need to simmer typically?

Headed back home now to check on them.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Bring them to a boil first. It always takes around 2 hours for me. Also, if you left, and too much water evaporated, it will increase the cooking time.
rlb28
AG
Still not soft five hours later. Maybe i put too many beans in the pot. I put the whole package- 2 lbs
Bruce Almighty
AG
rlb28 said:

Still not soft five hours later. Maybe i put too many beans in the pot. I put the whole package- 2 lbs
For that many beans, you'll need at least 12 cups of water.
h_town_ags
put some lard in there while they are boiling and that will help. my neighbor from mexico that has a restaurant told me that trick
rlb28
AG
I put 9 or 10. Thanks
Ogre09
AG
Maybe your simmer temp was too low. What was your stove set on? Did you leave the lid on? Was it bubbling and steamy?

Maybe you used too little water when soaking. When you soaked the beans, was the water all absorbed in the morning? Were the beans full looking?

Maybe you did not bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer. If you put a big pot of cold water on the stove, left the heat low, and didn't put a lid on it may never get hot enough to cook.
Rattler12
Did you salt the water first? There's a side that says it doesn't affect them and a side that says it keeps them hard ........quien sabes
rlb28
AG
Ogre09 said:

Maybe your simmer temp was too low. PROBABLY

What was your stove set on? Did you leave the lid on? LID WAS ON, BUT TITLED, NOT COMPLETELY TIGHT.

Was it bubbling and steamy?

Maybe you used too little water when soaking. When you soaked the beans, was the water all absorbed in the morning? NO

Were the beans full looking? NOT SURE

Maybe you did not bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer. If you put a big pot of cold water on the stove, left the heat low, and didn't put a lid on it may never get hot enough to cook. IT WAS BOILING
I just went home and the beans are cooking perfectly. However, it took 7 hours. I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what. I will cook another pot and listen to all comments from Texags. Thanks
rlb28
AG
Rattler12 said:

Did you salt the water first? There's a side that says it doesn't affect them and a side that says it keeps them hard ........quien sabes
Yes, but very little
Matsui
AG
Mine usually 2-3 hours. Cracked lid Steady boil
Beckdiesel03
AG
I had black eyed peas that did this one time. No matter how much I cooked them they never softened.
Rattler12
rlb28 said:

Rattler12 said:

Yes, but very little
Hard water in your area or soft? May make a difference ...........maybe you should put some chili in your beans ?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I cook a pot of beans almost every week and this is what I do for a basic pot.

1. I don't soak the beans. I don't notice any difference in taste or cooking time with soaked vs non soaked. Some say it helps with digestion, and maybe it does, but the best way to help with digestion is to eat more beans.

2. Add 8 cups of water and any aromatics like onion, garlic, chile, and any herbs, but no salt or acids like tomatoes and vinegar. I'll also add a couple tbsp of lard or oil if I'm not adding any bacon later.

3. Bring to a full boil, lower heat to med-low and cook partially covered until beans are tender. This usually takes about 2 hours. Check water level every now and then and if it gets low, add a 1/2 cup.

4. When tender, add salt and anything else and cook for another 15 minutes or so.
rlb28
AG
Hard hard water
Rattler12
rlb28 said:

Hard hard water
Methinks that's the problem
HtownAg92
AG
I always fry up the bacon, then add the onion, garlic, dry spices and beans and saute them in the bacon grease for a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes and stir around for a few minutes more before adding the liquid. Bring to a full boil for about 3 minutes, then reduce to simmer.
HTownAg98
It's either one of two things: too much acid in the water (tomatoes would be a likely culprit) or old beans. Next time, add some baking soda to the water when you soak the beans. They'll cook faster and be softer.
rlb28
AG
HTownAg98 said:

It's either one of two things: too much acid in the water (tomatoes would be a likely culprit) or old beans. Next time, add some baking soda to the water when you soak the beans. They'll cook faster and be softer.
I added tomatoes at the end.

Could be old beans.
JYDog90
AG
I think if they're still hard after 4 hours you're supposed to call the doctor.
Formerly Willy Wonka
ToddyHill
AG
I would suggest it could be the water, as in calcium. In the canning industry, calcium chloride is routinely added to beans as it's a 'firming agent.' It keeps the beans from turning to mush.
B-1 83
AG
The Wife is a bean pro. Her secret is her abuelita's clay pot. She never soaks beforehand. It's just beans, water, salt pork (NEVER bacon), and a sprinkle of salt. That's it. It comes to a boil for 30-45 minutes, she turns them down to a very low boil, lightly covers, and they're done in 3 hours.

It's the pot……
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
TyHolden
AG
Anybody got a good recipe for spicy borachos? I usually throw in bacon, tomato paste, jalapeños, onions, brown sugar, and seasoning.
Hwy30East
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1394477

Try these and make them as spicy as you want to with the peppers.
TyHolden
AG
Hwy30East said:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1394477

Try these and make them as spicy as you want to with the peppers.

I've never tried that but I'm going to now seeing all the blue stars
austinag1997
AG
I soak beans in water overnight before I cook them
cypress-ag
AG
Fresh beans always help but I just started throwing them in the crock pot and damn it was easy. I put them in when I leave for work and come home and they are perfect. Season just like I did in my dutch oven and add my salt, bacon etc. at the end.
rlb28
AG
Google is your friend… this is a game changer. In the OP i was all screwed up. Beans took too long.

Instantpot for 45 minutes. Whatever seasoning and extras you want like onions, bay leaves, serranos, etc.. Done. Perfect beans.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.