Too many TO's in basketball

872 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Southlake
Lake08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kills the game
JJxvi
AG
Too many takeoffs
bobinator
AG
The stoppages are out of control for sure. And it adds to a larger problem which is coaches having too much control over what's happening on the floor. I thought they made a good step when they took away the ability to call live ball timeouts from coaches but then they reversed it.
Rocinante
I dream of a day when basketball has no timeouts and no stoppages. Basically like soccer (except clock operates the same way). It would be awesome.

It was impossible in the days of tv but maybe someday a streamer buys the rights with a different business model and generates revenue like soccer- jersey patches, in game sponsor logos, etc. Would be a much better product.

Not going to happen in college. Too decentralized to make drastic changes. If it happened it would be the nba in season tournament or wnba or g league.
bobinator
AG
I'm not that extreme on it, but I think one of the main problems with basketball in general right now is how much control coaches have on the game itself.

The game should be about the players. How well have you prepared them to make decisions, call plays, identify defenses, etc? This possession-by-possession micromanaging at the end of games was already bad enough with everyone holding their timeouts until the end but now it's even worse with practically every single close play going to a review in the NCAA Tournament.

To me coaches being able to call live ball timeouts is frankly ridiculous. I'd also be for stricter coaches boxes too. Part of why it's gotten out of hand is coaches are right on top of the floor. Should be an automatic tech if the coach steps on the floor.
Rocinante
But why not that extreme?

Football too. Imagine a game with no stoppages and no commercials. It would be beautiful. We as sports fans are so easily taken advantage of. More and longer commercials and stoppages all of the time.
bobinator
AG
Because it's just not going to happen. There's absolutely no way you'd make up the revenue loss. I mean you're talking billions of dollars just on the NCAA Tournament alone.
frenchtoast
I bet we could make up the loss in ad revenue with our resources.
Southlake
Easy: is why I record games at least in hour before I start watching.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.