2023-2024 Aggie Dawg of the year

1,897 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Know Your Enemy
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The award goes to Andy Garcia. Early in the season Coleman was winning nearly every week. With Coleman's injuries, Andy broke out and became a Rodman like rebounder. He is one of the finalists for national defensive player of the year, but if there was an award for national rebounder of the year he'd win it. Hit a huge 3 despite not shooting many during the year. Big dawg play. Big dawg player.

Most improved dawg- Solomon Washington. We all knew he had some dawg like qualities but took a big jump down the stretch driving through contact and even hitting some clutch 3s. He even mostly calmed down on the dumb fouls while being able to guard all five positions. The future is bright for Solomon.
txag72
AG
I'll second that motion.
frenchtoast
Was going to say Andy when I saw the thread title.
Zigzig
Agreed, so glad to have him back for another year.
Rocinante
Solo also deserves special mention for blocking a three against Kentucky, landing on his face, and continuing to play like a monster.
Know Your Enemy
AG
This is the kind of stuff that makes Method Man an Aggie basketball board HOF'er. Well done, sir.

Oh, yeah. Andy deserves some praise too. Good job.
Method Man
Meant to credit bobinator for rebounder of the year idea.
Method Man
bobinator
AG
I think what really makes Andy a DAWG this year is people know what he's capable of now and they still can't keep him off the boards. He's not some underrated guy making plays, he's near the top of the scouting report and they still can't stop him.
Method Man
How he rebounded against UH who game plans as well as anyone was outstanding.
Method Man
I've been asked to quantify what a dawg is and that's been a challenge. I would say subjectively it's the relentless ability to impose your will on your opponent regardless of their knowledge of your skills/attributes and any game planning/adjustments made to limit your ability to impact the game.

Bob? Any amendments?
bobinator
AG
I think that's it. Like you're almost unstoppable at the thing you do.
jeremy
AG
bobinator said:

I think what really makes Andy a DAWG this year is people know what he's capable of now and they still can't keep him off the boards. He's not some underrated guy making plays, he's near the top of the scouting report and they still can't stop him.

Kept watching the Houston game last night thinking, "dang, get a backside rebound! It isn't hard!!"

Then I realized that's the same thing I yell when our team is playing, but Andy isn't on the floor. Like the great ones, he makes the difficult look easy.
TyperWoods
Agree with OP
czar_iv
AG
Garcia!
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
GrayMatter
AG
Well done MM!

Agree with Andy being Top Dawg for us this year. Soloman has great potential and will battle for top dawg next year.
taylorswift13_
Any pups we hope to grow into DAWGS next year
bobinator
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

Manny has real DAWG potential, need to see it carry over.

As talented as Wade is, and to be clear he's still our best player, by a lot, his DAWG-ness is limited by his athleticism and size. Against elite teams he's only going to be as effective as his ability to shoot the three. If his three isn't falling he can't just physically impose his will on the game anyway.

But Manny could. He needs to become a better passer and work on kicking it out when he draws defenders close, but he has off the charts athleticism and his height is a major advantage.
taylorswift13_
I hope we get some dawgs in the transfer portal and I also want to see a freshman earn his paws and become a dawg!
Know Your Enemy
AG
bobinator said:

taylorswift13_ said:

Manny has real DAWG potential, need to see it carry over.

As talented as Wade is, and to be clear he's still our best player, by a lot, his DAWG-ness is limited by his athleticism and size. Against elite teams he's only going to be as effective as his ability to shoot the three. If his three isn't falling he can't just physically impose his will on the game anyway.

But Manny could. He needs to become a better passer and work on kicking it out when he draws defenders close, but he has off the charts athleticism and his height is a major advantage.

DAWGS have no physical limitations, sir.
bobinator
AG
Isn't that what I said? That's why Wade wasn't DAWG of the year despite obviously being our best player.
Heineken-Ashi
Washington is a special player. Now that the game has slown down, he has realized that he can guard any player in the country, and that he can be highly productive on offense, the only logical next step is for him to clean up his shooting motion while developing a quicker trigger, and frankly, to realize that he can be a dominate force on both sides of the court. This is the type of guy our opponents do not want to see improve any more than he has.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
halfastros81
AG
There absolutely no good reason Solo shouldn't be averaging 15 ppg or better imo. He's a really good defender as well and can defend a lot of different types of players . I can't remember which game it was but in transition the opponent was looking for him and if he was anywhere in front of them they changed direction and pulled back. It felt like prairie dogs scattering for their holes because of the hawk overhead.

I think Solo impacts the game positively for us as much as anyone. He should have played more mins. Granted he limited himself with dumb fouls 40-50 feet from the bucket. That did improve significantly in the last 10-15 games.
Know Your Enemy
AG
bobinator said:

Isn't that what I said? That's why Wade wasn't DAWG of the year despite obviously being our best player.

I must be dumb because you said the exact opposite the way I read it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.