UConn travel problems

3,264 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GrayMatter
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's 2024 and they're near the largest city in the US. How could they not find a plane to get them here to Phoenix on time. According to the local news they got here at 3 AM. The time change is 3 hours which is an issue with the games in 2 days. How does something like this happen?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Wasn't there a problem with their original plane?
bobinator
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Yeah, it's not like they uber'd to laguardia and couldn't find tickets. Their charter had mechanical issues and it's not exactly easy to find a backup jet on short notice.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Complete Idiot
bobinator said:

Know Your Enemy said:

it's not exactly easy to find a backup jet on short notice.
Is that something you've struggled with?
bobinator
AG
Yes. It's the worst. You're trying to get to Aspen for the annual #GetBetter summit and your private jet has mechanical problems and your wife is already using the backup private jet... it's a real hassle.
Complete Idiot
Know Your Enemy
AG
Seems like the airline needs a #getbetter class.
bobinator
AG
*huge pause*
How we handle ourselves on planes says a lot about who we are as people. I'm not saying that I handle this the right way, I probably don't, it's just the way I handle it. But getting on a plane and traveling shouldn't be too easy. Okay? We need to embrace the challenge. The person in front of you doesn't know how many bins they need and holds up security for 30 minutes fumbling around in their bags? That's okay. How do you embrace that challenge? You have to focus on what you can control. Is your ID ready? Is your boarding pass already pulled up on your phone? That's what you can control. I don't really understand how they assign the seats, Josh has tried to explain it to me but I'm better off not knowing. But I just focus on my seat. Could I sit in first class? Probably. I don't know how money works or how much of it I have, my wife handles all that. I don't know if we could afford it. But I don't want to sit there because it's too easy. We have to embrace the challenge. That's why it's called coach. It's for coaches. It's for people that want to work hard to get where they're going.
#GetBetter
jja79
AG
I would have thought they have a booster with a plane big enough to get the team to the Final Four and then the travel party arrive late.
EliteZags
AG
anything under 8 figures would only be able to fit the 7-8 man rotation

for the full roster and staff you're looking at like Gulfstream 550 which is Elon/Mark Cuban/Sean Combs
jja79
AG
You can tell I don't have one.
GrayMatter
AG
Our "it's officially the offseason" indicator
jja79
AG
I just found it odd since it could potentially affect their chance to repeat.

Rip Hamilton, Ray Allen and Donyell Marshall should have stepped up.
frenchtoast
This sucks for UConn. Imagine if it happened to us in the fantasy world in which we make a final four.
bobinator
AG
I mean they got in a little late two days before the game. They'll be fine. It's not like when we traveled to Arkansas in that ice storm and had to bus in from St. Louis or whatever.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Yeah. They might only win each game by 10 points rather than their normal 20-25 point win!
jja79
AG
They got in at 4AM today which is 7AM for them. Media day so they got very little rest. It's definitely not going to help them.
bobinator
AG
They don't play for two days still. I mean obviously it's not going to help them but it's not going to hurt them either. During the regular season there's late travel with way faster turnarounds.
_lefraud_
AG
Alabama's last two weeks:

Tuscaloosa to Spokane
Tuscaloosa to LA
Tuscaloosa to Phoenix

Uconn arriving late is nothing compared to what Bama has endured (as a 4 seed)
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
If it was any of us, we'd take a few days to get back on schedule. But college kids? They are perpetually giving themselves jet lag, staying up all night on weekends, sleeping late when they can... they'll be fine.
StinkyPinky
AG
Complete Idiot said:

This is greatness
Tobias Funke
AG
I came here to complain about people using Texags as their own twitter account, but then I saw that gif and my day improved about 74%.

Bobinator's Buzz impression bumped it up to 80%. Pretty good little day on the board.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Has the line now moved from UCONN -1000 to UCONN - 999.9 because of this arrival delay?
mikesyracuse1
Unless things have changed recently, the NCAA coordinates the flights, hotels, practice times at the venue and secondary gyms, etc for the entirety of the tournament in consultation with the teams. It works great until it doesn't.

Of course sometimes you get the over the top charter planes and other times just a regular charter jet with no bells and whistles. And then if you have a problem, like UConn, you end up flying on an Allegiant jet.

Mikesyracuse1
94chem
Texas Rangers say cry me a river.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Tobias Funke
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Has the line now moved from UCONN -1000 to UCONN - 999.9 because of this arrival delay?
You're obviously not a golfer
jja79
AG
They usually don't fly 2600 miles and 3 time zones during the regular season either. Sorry for starting the thread.
bobinator
AG
It's still interesting! And it sucks for them. I just don't think it will matter at all for the game, compared to like a regular season game where they're flying in the night before or something.
jeremy
AG
Tobias Funke said:

I came here to complain about people using Texags as their own twitter account, but then I saw that gif and my day improved about 74%.

Bobinator's Buzz impression bumped it up to 80%. Pretty good little day on the board.

I'm glad you explained that! I read Bob's quote and thought he had a stroke or something. He doesn't know if he can afford first class!?? Whaaat!?

Now a re-read it with a Buzz voice and it's Gold!!
McInnis80
jja79 said:

They usually don't fly 2600 miles and 3 time zones during the regular season either. Sorry for starting the thread.
UConn still has several Big East games which are bus rides such as Providence, St Johns and Seton Hall. I do remember when when were in the 1st and 2nd round games in Anaheim and the Ags were 45 minutes away while UCLA stayed next door to the arena. I think the referees were able to stay at their home, the California State Home for the Blind.
sanaug
AG
Thanks for the chuckle!
_lefraud_
AG
1 seeds get better hotels, accommodations...not sure why that is hard to understand.
TyHolden
AG
so it's time to lay the money down on bama???? i doubt it will matter.
DTP02
AG
I like Bama +11.5, but definitely not to win.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.