Kids are not spreaders of COVID?

4,396 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rubble
Keller6Ag91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/sweden-germany-no-deaths-children-due-covid

Quote:

Children do not readily acquire this pathogen, spread to other children, spread to adults, take it home, get severely ill, or die from it. It is that simple. We know children tend not to transmit Covid-19 virus and that the concept of asymptomatic spread has been questioned severely, particularly for children.

Children, if infected, just do not spread Covid-19 to others readily, either to other children, other adults in their families or otherwise, nor to their teachers. This was demonstrated elegantly in a study performed in the French Alps. The pediatric literature is clear science on this. Overwhelming data shows that the SARS-CoV-2-associated burden of severe disease or death in children and adolescents is very low (statistically zero).
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
P.U.T.U
AG
We have known this for well over a year and I have first hand experience. My 2 year old daughter got it from her masked teacher and was sleepy for a morning, woke up from a nap back to normal. Vaccinated wife got it and just lost taste and smell. My 5 year old son and I did not quarantine and never tested positive. Out of the 10 kids in her class my daughter was the only one to get it.
KidDoc
AG
Love those links some great data there.

However, much of that data was pre-delta and delta tore through schools much more aggressively than prior strains. I expect Omicron will be even more transmissible by kids in the coming months and will hopefully be very mild and give them sustained natural immunity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TarponChaser
KidDoc said:

However, much of that data was pre-delta and delta tore through schools much more aggressively than prior strains. I expect Omicron will be even more transmissible by kids in the coming months and will hopefully be very mild and give them sustained natural immunity.

Delta seemed to infect plenty of kids but just like prior strains was little more than a cold for kids.
Aston94
AG
TarponChaser said:

KidDoc said:

Delta seemed to infect plenty of kids but just like prior strains was little more than a cold for kids.
The question wasn't the severity, but whether kids were spreaders. There is a difference. Kids not having severe cases is awesome either way, but them being spreaders makes the issue more complicated, as they tend to be with grandparents and older teachers who do not always get mild cases.

aggiederelict
Whom presumably should be vaccinated and boosted right in order to get full protection?
P.U.T.U
AG
KidDoc said:

Between natural immunity and if the Omicron appearing to be milder I think we will not be able to tell if a kid has a common cold or Covid.
Beat40
It's already incredibly difficult. In my son and daughters school, 3 siblings were all in school. The oldest was tired that evening and had a slight clear runny nose. For whatever reason the dad decided to do an at hone COVID test and it was positive. Tested the other 2 kids plus 1 that isn't old enough to go to school and all were positive.

All 4 kids were positive and 2 of them ended up not showing symptoms or they were so slight it was barely noticeable.
Aston94
AG
aggiederelict said:

Whom presumably should be vaccinated and boosted right in order to get full protection?

No, I wouldn't vaccinate my kids. Not sure where you got that from my post. Having information that is accurate is most important to me.
aggiederelict
No I meant the grandparents.
PerpetualLurker
If you haven't seen it already, UTSW publishes a heat map of cases by age. Fascinating stuff and very consistent with what you wrote.

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/covid-19/about-virus-and-testing/forecasting-model.html
DadHammer
AG
You say "tore" through, but none of the kids I know showed much sickness at all from delta.
KidDoc
AG
DadHammer said:

You say "tore" through, but none of the kids I know showed much sickness at all from delta.
I did not mention anything about severity in my post and that was intentional. I did not say there were dead children and overwhelmed hospitals just lots of mild to moderate sick kids with + COVID missing lots of school and filling up clinics. The pediatric hospitals in Texas were actually more burdened by RSV but the media and government don't find that very exciting.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DadHammer
AG
No need to over react. How do you know the kids where getting delta? Where the schools testing them? Just curious.
Bruce Almighty
AG
In the school that I work at, the original strain was worse than Delta. We also wore masks with the original but stopped by the time Delta hit. It was the same at my son's school.
KidDoc
AG
Many schools required any kids with a runny nose to get tested, that has improved over time. Many parents also requested testing.
AggieUSMC
AG
IDK, I got my case of COVID from my 11 year old son.
ReloadAg
AG
Welcome to late March 2020. This has been known for a very long time and it's why covid protocols in schools are ******ed.
DukeMu
People ages 10-35 largely spread the Delta virus. The same will be true for Omicron. Vaccinate and you can congregate.
GenericAggie
AG
KidDoc said:

What is the mortality rate of kids 1-18 from Delta?
Coates
DukeMu said:

People ages 10-35 largely spread the Delta virus. The same will be true for Omicron. Vaccinate and you can congregate.

Nothing in this post is true.
KidDoc
AG
GenericAggie said:

KidDoc said:

Extremely low aside from high risk children and the rare cases of MIS-C which do almost all survive but it is 5-7 days in the PICU.
willtackleforfood
AG
How will Doctors sleep after they needlessly harm our most vulnerable?

GenericAggie
AG
KidDoc said:

GenericAggie said:

KidDoc said:

Extremely low aside from high risk children and the rare cases of MIS-C which do almost all survive but it is 5-7 days in the PICU.

Not exactly a scientific answer. How low is extremely low as a % of cases?

From a scientific and medical perspective, why are we pushing this vaccine on children with an extremely low mortality? I'm honestly curious as to a professionals' opinion. I am NOT trolling you.
KidDoc
AG
I'm not pushing this vaccine on children, and I disagree with the CDC on their stance as I have said many times on this forum and at work.

Aside from the high risk population that is-- CF, Type 1 DM, CP, etc.
NyAggie
AG
Keller6Ag91 said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/sweden-germany-no-deaths-children-due-covid

Quote:

Children do not readily acquire this pathogen, spread to other children, spread to adults, take it home, get severely ill, or die from it. It is that simple. We know children tend not to transmit Covid-19 virus and that the concept of asymptomatic spread has been questioned severely, particularly for children.

Children, if infected, just do not spread Covid-19 to others readily, either to other children, other adults in their families or otherwise, nor to their teachers. This was demonstrated elegantly in a study performed in the French Alps. The pediatric literature is clear science on this. Overwhelming data shows that the SARS-CoV-2-associated burden of severe disease or death in children and adolescents is very low (statistically zero).

But…but…kids in school need to wear masks….but…but…masks….but…but….
GenericAggie
AG
Thank you for responding. I know this is a very heated topic.
Rubble
AG
From first hand experience, one of my 4 year olds brought it home from daycare. 2 weeks later, all 5 people in my house tested positive and we're in recovery mode now.
KidDoc
AG
Rubble said:

From first hand experience, one of my 4 year olds brought it home from daycare. 2 weeks later, all 5 people in my house tested positive and we're in recovery mode now.
I'd love to know if that was Omnicron variant, I strongly suspect it is widespread and likely rapidly becoming the dominant strain.
Rubble
AG
KidDoc said:

Rubble said:

I'd love to know if that was Omnicron variant, I strongly suspect it is widespread and likely rapidly becoming the dominant strain.

Don't know. We live in Michigan and as you probably know, it's running rampant up here, just don't know what strain.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.