Which major has the highest acceptance rate?

3,606 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Heisenberg01
KENOAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My kid is not top 10% and is not sure of how to go about this application process. She put Mays as her number one but is afraid of getting deferred. What would be a couple suggested majors to give her the best chance to be accepted and figure the major out later? Thx!'
AggieKeith15
AG
Economics. She can transfer into Mays later or stick with it and get a business minor if she wants.
AggieKeith15
AG
Any insights on what she wants to do after her undergrad? Also, is she into reading or is she more math oriented? That would be helpful to understand what types of jobs she might consider if she's not sure still.
Buck Turgidson
We used to have a lot of kids go Ag Eco - is that still a popular major? Seems like a degree that can be tailored to be basically a business degree.
aggie93
AG
AggieKeith15 said:

Economics. She can transfer into Mays later or stick with it and get a business minor if she wants.
It's extremely difficult to transfer into Mays.
aggie93
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

We used to have a lot of kids go Ag Eco - is that still a popular major? Seems like a degree that can be tailored to be basically a business degree.
They added Agri Business as well now that is even more Business focused.

Another great major is Maritime Business at Galveston. It's a more specialized program but has a Mays connection and an extremely high job placement rate with high salaries. Very possible to do a Masters in 5 as well. You also won't have a class with more than 50 kids and most will be 25 or less. Easy to move to College Station with a change in major though Mays is tough.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I majored in Ag Eco with an agri-business specialty (CO '76). Had to take a couple of animal science classes w/labs, an ag policy class, a farm & ranch management class, two eco classes, two stat classes, an econometrics class; the rest were electives from the business school. Bus law, finance, stocks and bonds, banking, management, two accounting classes, etc. Took a farm and ranch appraisal class too. Loved all of them.

The new CFP degree or minor is under the Ag Life School. It looks to be pretty good.
The Marksman
AG
aggie93 said:

AggieKeith15 said:

To the best of my understanding, Mays takes only 100 total transfers every year. That includes transfers from other universities and other majors within A&M. Mays is not a school you transfer into. It's also very difficult to get into even coming out of high school.
aggie93
AG
The Marksman said:

aggie93 said:

AggieKeith15 said:

To the best of my understanding, Mays takes only 100 total transfers every year. That includes transfers from other universities and other majors within A&M. Mays is not a school you transfer into. It's also very difficult to get into even coming out of high school.
I know one kid that transferred in to Mays but he was Engineering and had a 4.0. My understanding is anything less than a 4.0 and it's extremely unlikely.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Momster
I am fortunate enough (yet very broke lol) to have 3 kids attending A&M. My oldest went to Blinn then transferred into A&M after 2 years and just graduated December 15th. Started his internship in the athletic department today. My middle son entered A&M as a freshman in Sport Management but wasn't happy so went into TAPs for 2 semesters then transferred into Mays with a 3.9 gpa. His advisors told him that they do look at internal change of major Mays transfers a bit differently than outside school transfers and they don't have a hard 100 limit if that makes sense on the change of majors. Keys are having the proper course work completed with a competitive GPA. Not impossible to do but should have a reasonable back up plan if Mays says no. My youngest Aggie is a freshman and she was admitted via Gateway last Fall and is now in TAPs considering Ag Business because she won't have the competitive resume for Mays. There are so many pathways and opportunities for students these days and just because one door closes it doesn't mean there isn't another option. I just recommend being familiar with the coursework required for each major and having a viable backup plan ready to put into action if option 1 doesn't work out. Just my 2 cents…which is probably all I have left in my bank account lol.
Comeby!
AG
Here's the May's pathway.
https://tap.tamu.edu/_files/_documents/GEST-Map-to-Mays-Worksheet-2023-2.pdf

My daughter wanted Mays but without auto admit, it's nearly impossible. She applied ecos and just got word back today.

double b
AG
Comeby! said:

Here's the May's pathway.
https://tap.tamu.edu/_files/_documents/GEST-Map-to-Mays-Worksheet-2023-2.pdf

My daughter wanted Mays but without auto admit, it's nearly impossible. She applied ecos and just got word back today.

That's awesome. Congrats on her admission decision!
94chem
Why is Business a better degree than Economics anyway? Economics seems like it would be more challenging and more well-rounded.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
The Marksman
AG
94chem said:

Why is Business a better degree than Economics anyway? Economics seems like it would be more challenging and more well-rounded.
You underestimate the influence a degree from Mays Business School has and the quality of said degree. Mays is one of the top business schools in the country and is very well-regarded, especially in Texas. An education at Mays sets graduates up perfectly. A&M has a good economics department too, but Mays is elite.
94chem
Is it primarily for entrepreneurs? I'm asking because I work for a $15billion company, and I don't think any of the people running our business were business majors. Don't know for sure, though. I do know that when the AFS magazine comes out, it always features people who started businesses, and never people who innovated or invented things unless they personally monetized it.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
The Marksman
AG
Definitely a lot of entrepreneurs for sure, but also a ton of accountants and CPAs.
94chem
The Marksman said:

Definitely a lot of entrepreneurs for sure, but also a ton of accountants and CPAs.

Ahhh. That makes sense. I was thinking that being in the college of business meant you were a business major, which in my experience is only a marginally employable degree without significant experience or grad school. In other words, hire an engineer and teach them business after a few years. But accounting, that's different. Boring, yes, but highly useful straight out of school.
94chem,
Heisenberg01
AG
I can pretty much guarantee that any company that size has a CFO that has a business degree, most likely in finance. Most places the CFO controls a lot of how much the company is spending and how it's financed. Many companies advance the CFO to CEO when time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.