Job Network
Sponsored by

Remote working US roles from overseas?

836 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by moses1084ever
moses1084ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

I moved to Australia last year after 14 years in Singapore. My wife (Aussie) landed a big job so we're in Sydney now. I've worked in Product Management for the past 9ish years. My background in product has exclusively been with B2B products... hardware (edge computing equipment/rugged computers, hazardous area rated personnel tracking systems on oil rigs, drones/UAVs, and instrumentation products) and software.

Before getting into Product, I was on the engineering and construction side within Industrial automation... control systems, DCS, PLCs, instrumentation. I also have roughly 10 years of experience within the air conditioning industry.

I was curious whether there's anyone out there working a remote US role from outside of the states? I'd really like to get a local product or operations role here in Australia but there aren't a ton of openings at the moment, and quite frankly, the salaries are pretty low. On top of that, the AUD/USD exchange rate is flipping terrible.

I'm looking at remote roles but wondering whether US companies will even consider overseas candidates? I'm a US citizen (if that helps makes things easier).

P.S. If you're looking to expand your business into the APAC region, that's something I can help with.

Thanks!

Petrino1
moses1084ever said:

Howdy Ags,

I moved to Australia last year after 14 years in Singapore. My wife (Aussie) landed a big job so we're in Sydney now. I've worked in Product Management for the past 9ish years. My background in product has exclusively been with B2B products... hardware (edge computing equipment/rugged computers, hazardous area rated personnel tracking systems on oil rigs, drones/UAVs, and instrumentation products) and software.

Before getting into Product, I was on the engineering and construction side within Industrial automation... control systems, DCS, PLCs, instrumentation. I also have roughly 10 years of experience within the air conditioning industry.

I was curious whether there's anyone out there working a remote US role from outside of the states? I'd really like to get a local product or operations role here in Australia but there aren't a ton of openings at the moment, and quite frankly, the salaries are pretty low. On top of that, the AUD/USD exchange rate is flipping terrible.

I'm looking at remote roles but wondering whether US companies will even consider overseas candidates? I'm a US citizen (if that helps makes things easier).

P.S. If you're looking to expand your business into the APAC region, that's something I can help with.

Thanks!

Theres two issues going on here:

1) Its extremely difficult to land a remote role at the moment, almost impossible, due to all of the competition for every posting. Most remote postings get 1000+ applicants. You arent just competing with your local area, youre competing with the entire country!

2) Most US companies wont hire someone who lives outside of the US due to tax issues, not to mention time zone issues. The US company has to have a tax jurisdiction set up in whatever country you live in if they want to hire you. If the US company doesnt have a tax jurisdiction set up in Australia, then youre pretty much out of luck. Heck, Ive worked at companies that wouldnt hire remote employees in certain states in the US because they didnt have a tax jurisdiction there.

TLDR: Theres always a chance, you can always shoot your shot, but the chances are very very low of you landing something US remote while in Australia. Unless you have an extremely rare and niche skillset that only a few people have, then most US companies are going to prefer to hire US candidates.
FightinTAC08
AG
agree with both above but #2 is hard to overcome.

the same also applies for US based companies with US based employees - unless you are overseas for work purposes they don't want any work performed overseas (e.g. taking long PTO but need to check email and do minimal work while out of the office).

moses1084ever
AG
I've been able to find a few people locally who are working remotely.

For tax issues, they are either employed as a contractor or use a company that offers Employee of Record services (still learning about this one). There's definitely solutions for taxes and to handle employee misclassification.

Im going to have to find someone that's cool with the above AND comfortable with a different time zone (although I'm ok to work strange hours).

infinity ag
moses1084ever said:

Howdy Ags,

Thanks!

Hey!
I do product management too, with 10+ years of experience and multiple degrees. I am having trouble finding something and I am in the US (yes, in a terrible part of the country for prod mgmt jobs). Sorry to discourage you but it is going to be very hard right now as I don't think anyone will give you a chance when they have so many laid off people in the US itself. Your best bet is to move back to the US or find something in AUS.
moses1084ever
AG
Oof... Thanks, Infinity. Good luck with the hunt.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.