*******The Official Houston Texans 2023: The reign of Meco thread************

571,490 Views | 8722 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Texan_Aggie
IrishAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK, 2023 draft is here, DeMeco is locked and loaded and we have no clue what direction we're taking in this draft.

Here's our picks, let's get going

• Round 1, Pick 2
  • Round 1, Pick 12 (from CLE)
  • Round 2, Pick 33
  • Round 3, Pick 65
  • Round 3, Pick 73 (from CLE)
  • Round 4, Pick 104
  • Round 5, Pick 161 (from DAL)
  • Round 6, Pick 188 (from NYG)
  • Round 6, Pick 201 (from MIN)
  • Round 6, Pick 203 (from NO)
  • Round 7, Pick 230 (from TB)
  • Round 7, Pick 259*
Sea Speed
AG
Watching
IrishAg
And to kick this thread off, here is some awesome news

IrishAg
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073576-trey-lance-trade-rumors-crickets-around-49ers-qb-ahead-of-2023-nfl-draft
Quote:

"You'd think the (Houston) Texans or (Indianapolis) Colts would at least show some interest in Lance, and maybe they will," King wrote. "But so far, crickets."

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported on April 19 that the 49ers "have received inquiries from several teams" about a possible deal for Lance. Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio added that the Minnesota Vikings were one team that discussed the idea with San Francisco.

That's interesting on the crickets comment, but I think if we were interested we would wait until we get on the clock for the 2nd pick just in case something crazy happens at 1. But, overall I still have no clue what we're going to do in this draft.
gougler08
AG
Going to be a crazy draft across the board it seems, should be entertaining at a minimum!
Cartographer
Thanks Irish
Woods Ag
AG
They can get Lance for a 2nd round or later pick.

If they like him that's the move and get more assets with the first couple of picks.
IrishAg
Is Not a Turtle said:

Thanks Irish
Sure thing!
IrishAg
Woods Ag said:

They can get Lance for a 2nd round or later pick.

If they like him that's the move and get more assets with the first couple of picks.
I agree, and I would offer them next year's 3rd with an escalator to a 2nd if he plays 50% of the snaps, and a 1st if he plays 80 to 90% of the snaps next year. That would give us a ton a flexibility.

But, just in case we do love Young, I wouldn't make that trade until we were 100% sure he was gone at pick #2
AustinCountyAg
what day is the draft? Always entertaining watching Kiper and the others explain how they know more than everyone else
Cartographer
That PFT article strikes me as funny. The blurb almost reads "we're shocked we can't get the Texans to take our (likely) 1st round miss for max compensation."

If the Texans do bring him in, it'll be on the best terms we can get him.

Which is a weird thing to think since it's so hard to believe mgmt has turned the corner.
Cartographer
Starts tomorrow night and goes through Saturday
Woods Ag
AG
Agreed on waiting.

Honestly - I don't think they need to offer much more. The guy is/was raw and has been injured for 2 years and didn't play the year before that AND they're admitting they like a 7th round pick last year more than the #2 pick in the draft. That's telling in where they believe he is and they see him everyday. That stock SHOULD be way down

The talking heads will hype him bc it draws attention with where he was drafted, but I think it's all smoke to what theyll actually get
GCP12
AG
Zierlein says Bijan at 12 is a serious possibility
Ag_07
AG
I would not mind Bijan at 12 at all

Think that's right in the wheelhouse of where he'll be taken.
Agstro
AG
Here's to adding some playmakers on Thursday night!
GCP12
AG
Ag_07 said:

I would not mind Bijan at 12 at all

Think that's right in the wheelhouse of where he'll be taken.
I agree. The thought is this is a weak draft. Take a guy that everyone agrees is a blue chipper. He has CMC upside imo and CMC looked pretty damn good in this offense last year with the niners.
Bogey1996
GCP12 said:

Zierlein says Bijan at 12 is a serious possibility
I hate the idea of a rebuilding team drafting a running back, regardless of how good, high in the first round. We have way too many holes to fill. I would much rather add an Achane in the 3rd round if available or a Deuce Vaughn type later on.

Now if I'm the Eagles and already a SB team, adding a dynamic player like Bijan actually makes sense.
Ag_07
AG
Only downside to that is your pushing back when you take a WR which this team desperately needs.

The WR room is a massive black hole now that Cooks is gone.
GCP12
AG
That is fair. I am just down on the WR class.
Ag_07
AG
Which is why it would make sense to nab one early if the drop off is significant.

They literally have no #1 WR. I guess technically right now that would be Nico Collins.

Not a glaring endorsement for the WR corps as a whole.
GCP12
AG
I guess my point would be I'd rather grab Bijan and a WR like Mingo/Mims/Hyatt than JSN and Charbonnet/Achane
Agstro
AG
I would love it if we were able to grab Gibbs a little later.
coastalAg
AG
It should definitely be BPA at 12. We have too many needs to overdraft a WR at 12 that isnt going to move the needle in 2023.

We are already adding Metchie into the mix. Another 2nd or 3rd rounder plus Robert Woods and Dalton Schultz is not a bad offseason to give a young QB some options.
Snake Jazz
Ag_07 said:

Only downside to that is your pushing back when you take a WR which this team desperately needs.

The WR room is a massive black hole now that Cooks is gone.
I hate this year's WR class. Everybody says we need to take a receiver, but the truth is we don't "need a receiver" as much as we need an ELITE receiver, and I don't think there is one in this class. I'm ok with Johnston or Hyatt in the late first or early second, but that's it.
maca1028
In
Snake Jazz
I've thought for a while that Bijan made sense at 12. I know it isn't our biggest need and that you worry about the lifespan of a running back, but the sip (if he is still there) would likely be the most talented player available. I would rather them draft an elite offensive player than reach for someone.

Just an observation, but once you get past the top ten or twelve prospects, the talent level drops and you'll have about two rounds of guys all about at the same talent level.
Ag_07
AG
That's a good point.

Truth is they're gonna have options and they're gonna have decisions to make.

I think it's great that there are so many different ways this draft could go. And not just for the Texans but for entire draft.

It's gonna be entertaining as hell.
Lake08
Trade #2 pick. Get a couple 2's and a 1 next year. You need massive upgrades in talent….not one edge rusher.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
I think everything is on the table. If Carolina picks Bryce Young as expected, I expect trades and surprises. At least one of the top 4 QBs will slide down the draft in honor of Aaron Rodgers or JFF or Brady Quinn to the 20s or maybe to day 2. Bijan could go anywhere from 3 to 8 to 10 to 26 to out of the first round. Achane or Gibbs could sneak into the first round or at least High second. It should be very interesting. I also think the Trey Lance trade could be announced at any time after the top 2 picks are in.

How would Antonio Johnson fit in Demecos defense along side Petre? Having 2 good safeties seems to be key to a good turnover ratio.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think there's any chance Achane sneaks in the 1st. Everything I've seen has him in Rd 3 pick. Maybe Gibbs does but he's still most likely a Rd 2 pick.

And I've seen a couple mocks that have us taking Johnson in the 3rd
IrishAg
Ag_07 said:

I don't think there's any chance Achane sneaks in the 1st. Everything I've seen has him in Rd 3 pick. Maybe Gibbs does but he's still most likely a Rd 2 pick.

And I've seen a couple mocks that have us taking Johnson in the 3rd
Agreed, Achane is just too small to sneak into the 1st round. I don't think he goes higher than the 3rd round. Gibbs hasn't started to trend 1st round though according to most of the draft pod casts.

I could see us taking Johnson, pairing him with Ward and keeping Pitre as the Nickelback.

Overall, I'm not big on taking a first round RB, but yeah, with the lack of elite playmakers in this draft I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Bijan who really does have those unique tool sets that San Fran really loves. He's a RB who can move to the slot without any issues, so we could use him all over the field and maybe form him into a Debo style player for this offense.
Aggie95
AG
If there isn't a generational QB available (which there isn't), and you have a lot of holes to fill.. OL, DL, LB, WR, I hope they don't draft a QB no matter how much hate they'll get from the media. We also have roughly $18 Million in cap space to sign a key free agent or two.
Build the front 7 and OL and rebuild this thing similar to how they built the franchise into multiple divisional titles.
LilSebastian13
mAgnoliAg
Last Page
Page 1 of 250

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.