NFL Changing Kick-Offs for 2024

1,470 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by W
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ESPN: NFL owners approve massive revamp to kickoff play

What are y'all thoughts?

At first glance, I really like this. Actually brings legitimate strategy and player skills into kick-offs again. We might actually see a rebirth of the feared return man which would be awesome.

IMO the key to all of this is the fact that touchbacks go to the 30 yard line now. We all know a lot of the kickers can consistently blast the ball out of the endzone, but giving the other team a free start at the 30 isn't ideal.

It all sounds like a good idea to me. They were also smart to make this a 1 year rule... will force them to take another look at it next year to at least tweak some things if needed.
Mike Elko
AG
If I'm the Dolphins, it's Tyreek "Cheetah" Hill time.
07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
The Porkchop Express
How in the world do they plan to enforce banning the swivel hip-drop tackle?
_lefraud_
AG
ST coordinators are going to need to get creative
MookieBlaylock
AG
Excited for the magic timeout that will give Mahomes the ball at the other teams 45 if called with 20 seconds left in the game
toucan82
The Porkchop Express said:

How in the world do they plan to enforce banning the swivel hip-drop tackle?

I hope they make that call reviewable so we get 2-3 long reviews each game with nobody having any idea how the replay ref will decide
AGDAD14
What happens to the surprise of a well executed surprise onside kick?

What am I missing?
Unemployed
AG
AGDAD14 said:

What am I missing?
There will still be onside kicks but no longer have the element of surprise. The ref will have to be informed beforehand and then both teams will line up in the traditional kick-off formation.
W
AG
this will be interesting late in games

a team clinging to a 1 or 2-point lead definitely does not want to give the opponent the ball at the 30-yard line (touchback)

but also cannot squib kick anymore
The Porkchop Express
Doesn't it give the team kicking off a giant advantage because they can see where the guy is catching the ball and the exact second he catches it?
AGDAD14
Unemployed said:

AGDAD14 said:

What am I missing?
There will still be onside kicks but no longer have the element of surprise. The ref will have to be informed beforehand and then both teams will line up in the traditional kick-off formation.

Can the team kicking change their mind and either kick it deep or squib kick it?

Why would the receiving team put any body deep, if the kicking team can only onside kick it?

I think this changes the game in more ways than one.
The Porkchop Express
AGDAD14 said:

Unemployed said:

AGDAD14 said:

What am I missing?

Can the team kicking change their mind and either kick it deep or squib kick it?

Why would the receiving team put any body deep, if the kicking team can only onside kick it?

I think this changes the game in more ways than one.
That brings up another point. What happens if the kicker just screws up and shanks it or pops it up in the air? And how can the refs tell intent from a bad kick vs. an unintentionally intentional onside kick?
W
AG
another interesting aspect...

how many successful blocks does the receiving team need to make...for their speed-burner kick returner to break through?

let's say the kickoff is caught at the 10-yard line

it might only take 3 good blocks to create a hole for him to go the distance
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.