Outdoors
Sponsored by

Coon Advice

4,021 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by LoneStarBQ
frorge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was woken up in the middle of the night to some noises from my roof. Went outside to find a small raccoon digging/scratching at my chimney. Essentially where the fiberboard facade of my chimney meets my roof line. Its done quite a bit of damage and will require me to do replace a few panels. My question is, do I replace all the fiberboard and hope that whatever he was digging at goes away? Or should I look at trapping him? I live in city limits so a fun backyard hunt is out of the question.
Tom Doniphon
"Momma just used a broom to get the coons off our porch"
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
I live in city limits so a fun backyard hunt is out of the question.
That all depends on how well placed your first shot is. One shot isn't going to get the cops out there...
BrazosDog02
AG
Also, ONE good shot will prevent you having to fix a hole in your roof.
frorge
AG
quote:
Also, ONE good shot will prevent you having to fix a hole in your roof.

This was actually my main worry. That and disposing of the little guy.
Jason C.
AG
.22 LR powderless round will do the trick.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Please be advised that a full grown coon will most likely not stop a 22LR bullet. There is a small hole in the barn wall where I grew up to testify to this fact.
texags08
AG
quote:
"Momma just used a broom to get the coons off our porch"

Damn, an hour too late.

HarryAg
AG
Recommend replacing fiberboard with something stronger. Having trapped and relocated 17 of the critters from my backyard, you'll find they keep coming. Do whatever it takes to keep them out of the attic. One got into mine and tore up the AC ductwork and crapped on all the insulation. $2,000 fix. It's true what they say about them, "what they can't tear up they crap on."
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Please be advised that a full grown coon will most likely not stop a 22LR bullet. There is a small hole in the barn wall where I grew up to testify to this fact.
That's good to know. It certainly takes a lot more than 1 air rifle pellet....

As for the disposal.. Grocery sack + deep freeze + don't tell your wife = no smell till trash day
ursusguy
AG
Just a reminder, due to the Rabies Quarantine, it is technically illegal for John Q. Public to relocate raccoons.
VanZandt92
Embarrassingly, I laughed my ass off at the thread title.
VanZandt92
quote:
Just a reminder, due to the Rabies Quarantine, it is technically illegal for John Q. Public to relocate raccoons.

My uncle in Grand Saline had pet coons named Waylon and Willie. I guess they were outlaws. They were certainly ruffians.
Oso96
AG
22 CB. Makes about as much sound as a pellet gun but more powerful. My dad had the same problem and lives in the city also.

Good luck and happy hunting!!!
atmtws
AG
Golden Malrin fly bait dissolved in coke and placed in a small dish. DO NOT LETS PETS OR KIDS ACCESS IT. Works like a charm. 10000+ interweb points if he's dead, facedown in the dish.
Tom Doniphon
quote:
Golden Malrin fly bait dissolved in coke and placed in a small dish. DO NOT LETS PETS OR KIDS ACCESS IT. Works like a charm. 10000+ interweb points if he's dead, facedown in the dish.

He'll be within 5' of it anyway. Stuff works great if you want to kill coons.... just make ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE nothing else can get to it.
ATXAdvisor
AG
quote:
If you want to do this, you should head down to Tractor Supply sooner than later...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/02/regulators-move-limit-wildlife-deaths-misuse-deadly-fly-killer
quote:
Starting in 2010, the six states in EPA's Region 5, a regulatory region that includes Indiana and Michigan, joined forces to call for change from EPA. Their proposed solution: Reclassify methomyl fly baits as "restricted use" products. This would get the poison out of the hands of the general public, limiting access to trained, licensed applicators and the people they supervise.

The fly bait companies opposed that solution, however, and instead reached a compromise with EPA in April 2015. By early 2017, the agreement calls for the companies to stop distributing methomyl fly baits to general retailers such as hardware stores, and to stop making small containers. Farm supply stores will still be able to sell larger 4.5- and 18-kilogram containers, which will come with new warning labels and explanatory pamphlets. The companies and EPA plan to monitor reports of misuse through 2020, and further restrict use to licensed applicators if incidents aren't "significantly reduced."
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
quote:
quote:
That's good to know. It certainly takes a lot more than 1 air rifle pellet....

As for the disposal.. Grocery sack + deep freeze + don't tell your wife = no smell till trash day
The best part is that it was Dad that pulled the trigger & not my brother or I. It wasn't a Jerry Clower sized Boar Coon, but it was a decent sized fully grown coon.
redass1876
AG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P4HHZ0C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470872695&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=duke+traps+raccoon+trap#

Buy that. Bait it with a big marshmellow. Kill coon the next morning however you choose
ToddyHill
AG
Wow, your statement threw me a curve. Just looked up the law in Tennessee and discovered if relocation in an area of the state is allowed (no rabies in the area), one has to get a permit. I guess it's time to retire the live trap...I think I've 're-located' at least a half dozen raccoons over the past couple of years...and none without a permit. Thanks for the input Ursus.
coyote68
Call Marcel. He knows coonology.
ursusguy
AG
In the Eastern US there have been at least two major rabies outbreaks related to good intentioned people relocating raccoons.

There is a reason I am a very vocal advocate of "trap and euthanize" vs. "trap and relocate".
redag06
I've used a BB gun with a well placed shot MANY times.
They were in traps though.
VanZandt92
quote:
Call Marcel. He knows coonology.

Just shoot up in here amongst us! One of us has got to get some relief.
Centerpole90
AG
Old army OB has gone to hell. Bottom of page 1 without a...

quote:
BIG COONS WALK AT NIGHT. /NW80

frorge
AG
Seems like a pretty resounding "kill the *******". Hmm.....
Stat Monitor Repairman
https://instagr.am/p/C6gvFhDrHcD

Dad yeets toddler when coon grabs ahold of his leg.
LoneStarBQ
AG
Pellet Gun
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.