Outdoors
Sponsored by

Job Question

3,698 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by zooguy96
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I ask this question here, because this forum gets more traffic, and I trust the OB.

I am currently employed in Company A. I've only been employed for 4 weeks; this job got me out of teaching, for which I am forever thankful, even though it was a pay cut. It's not what I want to do forever, but is fine for now. I've been going to different locations of Company A for training, and so, have no real "supervisor" who I work with every day.

I interviewed for Company B last week (higher education). I was contacted via email today, and the hiring committee recommended offering me the position. The head guy for Company B wants to talk to my current supervisor - they said it's their Hr policy (which would put me in an awkward position with my current employer if they don't offer me the job - which I don't foresee) - but, I really don't have an immediate supervisor. I have a trainer who tells me which location to go to for training and whomever I'm training with. He said that he'd like to chat with me about the current situation.

I've only been there a short time - so Company A doesn't really have a good understanding of my work.

I preface this with the fact that I've wanted to work for Company B for a very long time. I've had 6-8 interviews, 2nd interviews, and never heard back from the various portions of their organization. The position I interviewed for has the chance to expand in the next couple of years, and there are many divisions of Company B that I'm interested in long term, as well as the division I'd be in.

I'm going to suggest to the head guy from Company B that taking to my supervisor from the school system, where I was employed for 9 years, would be a much better representation of who I am as an employee, and not out me in a bind with company A.

Thoughts? I don't think I'm being unreasonable, and really don't want to give up an opportunity with Company B, but do not want to put myself in a bind with Company A.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
NoahAg
Quote:

The head guy for Company B wants to talk to my current supervisor - they said it's their Hr policy
That sounds like a really crappy policy. Hopefully not indicative of the rest of the company's policies.
zooguy96
NoahAg said:

Quote:

The head guy for Company B wants to talk to my current supervisor - they said it's their Hr policy
That sounds like a really crappy policy. Hopefully not indicative of the rest of the company's policies.

Well, it's higher education, soooo….
Windy City Ag
AG
I would explain your situation to the hiring firm and see if this can be waived.

I agree that asking to talk to a previous supervisor prior to your officially taking the job is one of the more moronic HR policies out there and should make you question the role HR will be playing in your new gig.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
My advice is probably not popular but I would
Do nothing that jeopardized the job I had. I've never needed or wanted to speak to a former employees supervisor when I hire them. If they left because they hated the job, odds are a butthurt supervisor won't be kind to them, and if the candidate liked his job, he wouldn't be interviewing with me.

If they insist, I'd send them to your previous supervisor that you have already contacted and you know will be good to you. I've even had good friends give me as a reference so they know they'll get good reviews. Id let the supervisor know what you're interviewing for, the responsibilities it requires, and make sure he was coached appropriately to render a glowing review. This is also why I don't ask supervisors…there is just nothing good I can glean from it.

I think the policy is ridiculous and id disallow that emphatically.
EMY92
AG
I would explain to B that while you're happy to share who you currently work for, request that they do not contact. You're still in the probationary period with the new company and would risk losing your job if B contacts A. I would suggest B contact the school you worked at previously for a more relevant source of info about you, although no one does more than indicate that you worked there from x date to y date.
TRIDENT
AG
I would take the chance and let your dream job talk to whoever they want to and not over worry about potential current job awkwardness. GL!
redaszag99
Years ago I had a potential job that wanted to talk to my current supervisor.

I told them that it would not be possible without jeopardizing my current employment and they dropped it.

I suggest that you do the same.
Desert Power
AG
I would have them talk to previous supervisor from job before Company A. Don't involve company A at all. You're technically still "training" so they don't have anything to report.
rab79
AG
Do you have an alternate landing spot if B doesn't offer and A let's you go?
agsalaska
AG
Why did you want to get out of teaching so badly? My wife's a teacher and loves it and I'm considering doing it for a few years before I retire. I spend a lot of time at our school and with kids and love every second of it.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
zooguy96
agsalaska said:

Why did you want to get out of teaching so badly? My wife's a teacher and loves it and I'm considering doing it for a few years before I retire. I spend a lot of time at our school and with kids and love every second of it.

No discipline. It took 15 "demerits" to get referred to the principal. The principal really did nothing. Erego, spent most of my time disciplining rather than teaching.
JB93
From my worldview...I would never ask that of someone I was trying to hire and if a company ever asked me to do that I would walk. Just look what they've put you through already..8 interviews and they still can't make a decision on you???? That seems a warning sign.

From a spiritual view...my prayer about life changing decisions is that I have a peace about the decision that leaves me no doubt that it is the correct path. If I don't have that peace about it - as much as I might want it - I don't do it. I don't know you or your situation, but the fact you've come to a board of strangers says you are struggling with this decision suggest you do not have a peace about it. Perhaps worth thinking on.

No one knows you but you, so I'm not trying to say my opinion is right. But you asked for opinions, so there it is. I wish you the best in this choice.
agsalaska
AG
Ok.

I guess it just depends on where you are.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
docb
AG
As the owner of a business if I knew I had an employee interviewing elsewhere I would be looking to replace that employee.
Ayto Siks
Tell Company B that your current supervisor is Art Vandelay, then get a burner cell phone... nevermind, that's a terrible idea.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I've been around long enough to remember when OP hated his non teaching job and was desperately trying to get into teaching.
zooguy96
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

I've been around long enough to remember when OP hated his non teaching job and was desperately trying to get into teaching.

That's because I was being micromanaged. I had my teaching credentials to move up in my former field, not to teach. I got laid off from the micromanaging job, and had to have a job, erego, the teaching job, which is why I was desperate, as I was unemployed.
fulshearAg96
AG
Offer them 3+ references. But talking to your former employeer is nuts. That puts you in a high risk position and honestly I cannot believe company B is asking for that.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I would explain your situation and if they don't budge, you don't want to work for a POS company like that anyways. Probably some BS move to put you in an intentionally compromising position to lower the amount of money it will take to hire you.

Best of luck!
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG

And didn't he hate a previous teaching job before that as well?
zooguy96
fulshearAg96 said:

Offer them 3+ references. But talking to your former employeer is nuts. That puts you in a high risk position and honestly I cannot believe company B is asking for that.

Current employer is probably what you meant to put, but, yes, crazy. I'm going to contact previous supervisor I had and let them know the situation - and to expect a call.

I'm going to see if I can meet prospective new job supervisor in person - he had wanted me to call after I get off work, but I'd rather explain the situation in person.
zooguy96
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I would explain your situation and if they don't budge, you don't want to work for a POS company like that anyways. Probably some BS move to put you in an intentionally compromising position to lower the amount of money it will take to hire you.

Best of luck!

Thanks. As far as I know, it is an institutional policy, which sucks.
zooguy96
rab79 said:

No.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
zooguy96 said:

rab79 said:

No.
Then in no way would I agree to it
JB!98
AG
Having been a senior manager in a large company, I was forbidden to speak with prospective employers. HR could only verify employment dates. Saved a lot of potential problems and due to this, most large companies do not even fool with it outside of verifying employment via email.

Strange request.
Tecolote
AG
zooguy96 said:

NoahAg said:

Quote:

Spent 30 years in higher education in many positions and on countless searches for people at all levels. Never once heard of this.
zooguy96
Tecolote said:

zooguy96 said:

NoahAg said:

Quote:

Spent 30 years in higher education in many positions and on countless searches for people at all levels. Never once heard of this.

Just, it's really strange. I'm driving to meet the guy in person to clarify things.
jwoodmd

It's always greener
MrWonderful
AG
JB!98 said:

Having been a senior manager in a large company, I was forbidden to speak with prospective employers. HR could only verify employment dates. Saved a lot of potential problems and due to this, most large companies do not even fool with it outside of verifying employment via email.

Strange request.
Exactly. If I ever got that call, I would explain to them that our policy is we only verify job title and dates of employment.

Then the two immovable policies collide, creating a black hole that swallows the simulation we currently exist in.

This is stupid. Do not let them call your boss. Have them call your prior supervisor, or make one up, and tell them to explain that the company policy is only to verify dates of employment and job title.

zooguy96
MrWonderful said:

JB!98 said:

Strange request.
Exactly. If I ever got that call, I would explain to them that our policy is we only verify job title and dates of employment.

Then the two immovable policies collide, creating a black hole that swallows the simulation we currently exist in.

This is stupid. Do not let them call your boss. Have them call your prior supervisor, or make one up, and tell them to explain that the company policy is only to verify dates of employment and job title.

They're going to contact my former employer. I explained to them that currently, I don't really have a supervisor, because I am in training, and going from one location to another to train in different aspects of the organization.
zooguy96
JB93 said:

From my worldview...I would never ask that of someone I was trying to hire and if a company ever asked me to do that I would walk. Just look what they've put you through already..8 interviews and they still can't make a decision on you???? That seems a warning sign.

From a spiritual view...my prayer about life changing decisions is that I have a peace about the decision that leaves me no doubt that it is the correct path. If I don't have that peace about it - as much as I might want it - I don't do it. I don't know you or your situation, but the fact you've come to a board of strangers says you are struggling with this decision suggest you do not have a peace about it. Perhaps worth thinking on.

No one knows you but you, so I'm not trying to say my opinion is right. But you asked for opinions, so there it is. I wish you the best in this choice.

Yeah, I prayed about it before talking to the Dean. Everything worked out. Thanks everyone for their advice, even the not so positive ones.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
zooguy96 said:

That's because I was being micromanaged. I had my teaching credentials to move up in my former field, not to teach. I got laid off from the micromanaging job, and had to have a job, erego, the teaching job, which is why I was desperate, as I was unemployed.
Hopefully you weren't an English teacher, there is only one e in ergo.

/Grammar Police
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Best of luck, sir!

And just remember, it's called advice for a reason… Jesus himself could post on this board about how to tie a fishing knot, clean a deer, or shot placement on a whitetail, and several people would still judge him for his choice.
MrWonderful
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Best of luck, sir!

And just remember, it's called advice for a reason… Jesus himself could post on this board about how to tie a fishing knot, clean a deer, or shot placement on a whitetail, and several people would still judge him for his choice.

Jesus would get obliterated on the OB for budgetary purposes alone.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.