Houston getting serious about NHL team

3,969 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by jja79
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.chron.com/sports/article/tilman-fertitta-nhl-houston-18680051.php?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR1nWfaoTojqSpblWfrYdC_9JV6yBX1OklVXpII_8Jjl4ylbYWc4zWif8Qg_aem_ARKkEehI2is99_HKAORKBBQ86rz_R5WxU7mIbQd1BGq2B4Fdup9V_iKreQpqYu4Aa54

Is the hockey arena with convention center finished yet? Let's hurry this along. BCS needs that minor league affiliate.
turfman80
AG
It's time! Just bring the Scrotes to Houston already. Phoenix has shown no real desire to keep them.
TyHolden
Captn_Ag05
AG
The Brazos Valley Beavers at the Buc-ees Event Center. I am trying to speak it into existence.
MB19
AG
turfman80 said:

It's time! Just bring the Scrotes to Houston already. Phoenix has shown no real desire to keep them.
As long as the Houston team is known as the Aeros.
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The Brazos Valley Beavers at the Buc-ees Event Center. I am trying to speak it into existence.
FlyRod
Lifelong Bruins fan and I'd be overjoyed if Houston got an NHL team! Might even switch loyalties.
wareagle044
MB19 said:

turfman80 said:

As long as the Houston team is known as the Aeros.

Have to be.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Having a minor league team would be a huge accomplishment for BCS. I hope the business and city leaders are working on a plan to at least be in the running for a team.
wasntme
A huge turnout today for "Hockey Day in Houston" at St. Arnold's brewery today, there is definitely a huge groundswell for professional ice hockey in Houston.
Former professional players from the WHA, IHL, and AHL Aeros were in attendance, as well as all of the rinks and pro shops in town!!
Hornbeck
They need more content for Space City Sportsnet…
Texasclipper
AG
Again?
Bob Yancy
Are they called "farm clubs" in hockey? How are they formed? Is the Tamu team intramural or NCAA? What are some other SEC university towns with an NCAA team and/or a "farm" club?
wareagle044
Bob Yancy said:

Are they called "farm clubs" in hockey? How are they formed? Is the Tamu team intramural or NCAA? What are some other SEC university towns with an NCAA team and/or a "farm" club?
TAMU is a club team. Almost every SEC campus has a club hockey team which competes in the American Collegiate Hockey Association. ( https://www.achahockey.org/ )

There is also the local NA3HL team here, the Texas Roadrunners -- this is a league of amateur players (15-19 years old, i think.) looking for college scholarships, typically.

The AHL is the developmental league for the NHL ( https://theahl.com/ )

The Dallas Stars AHL affiliate is in Cedar Park

The ECHL is a developmental league for the NHL which is a tier below the AHL ( https://echl.com/teams )

The Dallas Stars ECHL affiliate is in Allen, TX

The SPHL would feed into ECHL/AHL

https://www.thesphl.com/

I believe for the AHL/ECHL/SPHL you'd have to find an ownership group willing to locate in BCS
Bob Yancy
Fascinating. Lots of moving parts. I wonder if there's data on revenue and attendance for those leagues.
KDubAg
AG
From the mayor himself..
TyHolden
AG
Is this a new franchise? The Coyotes are moving to SLC.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/arizona-coyotes-players-informed-nhl-franchise-will-be-moving-to-salt-lake-city-per-reports/
jja79
AG
Done deal. Salt Lake City is the new home. Houston not getting hockey.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Just bring the Scrotes to Houston
Monywolf
Not sure why "SombrAeros" was deleted...
TyHolden
AG
jja79 said:

Done deal. Salt Lake City is the new home. Houston not getting hockey.
how the hell does SLC win out over the 4th largest city in the nation? that's ridiculous. SLC makes a $1000 in alcohol revenue per game. Houston makes $100,000 per game.
EBrazosAg
AG
So - you have never spent a night in SLC I'm assuming….at least not in last decade…
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
EBrazosAg said:

So - you have never spent a night in SLC I'm assuming….at least not in last decade…
yes, it's joke. I've spent a lot of time SLC. It's a nice city.
jja79
AG
They won out over the 5th largest city too.
TyHolden
AG
jja79 said:

It's the 4th according to wikipedia which is the de facto source for da trufe information...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population
jja79
AG
Phoenix is 5th largest city in the US. SLC won out over 4 and 5.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Arizona might have a Cleveland Browns scenario, and be at the top of the expansion list if their land auction purpose is successful.
wareagle044
TwoTimeAg said:

Arizona might have a Cleveland Browns scenario, and be at the top of the expansion list if their land auction purpose is successful.

They screwed the pooch. They should have to sit out for the next round of expansion. Houston is a no-brainer.
jja79
AG
Apparently Houston Isn't a no brainer.
Mister Shipwreck
Several years ago, there was talk of Houston getting the next expansion team. However, there is a NHL team that is probably about to move, and it doesn't seem like they are coming to Houston.

I think we will eventually see a team in Houston - it's just taking much longer than they previously speculated.
jja79
AG
NHL Board of Governors just approved the move to SLC.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
jja79 said:

4th largest city.
Either I will find a way or I will make one.
TyHolden
AG
Nice Guy Eddie said:

jja79 said:

4th largest city.
Steady Eddy, we need proof around these parts.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
jja79 said:

Apparently Houston Isn't a no brainer.

It is if things are going to be a symbiotic relationship between the city, investors, and the NHL.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
TyHolden said:

Nice Guy Eddie said:

jja79 said:

4th largest city.
Steady Eddy, we need proof around these parts.

Google.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.