MS150 Less Than Three Weeks Away

1,318 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by chigger
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy local board. For the third year the Texas MS150 will end in Aggieland. The ride occurs on the last weekend of April, this year that is April 27-28. It's a two day event with cyclists riding from either the state capital, Houston Energy Corridor or Brookshire to La Grange on Saturday then La Grange to College Station on Sunday. Saturday doesn't really have much local impact except for maybe Belleville which is lunch for the Houston riders. I would expect cyclists to start entering Belleville around 945 and for there to be significant disruption through there til maybe 1.

Sunday will feature all cyclists riding from La Grange to College Station via Somerville which is lunch on Sunday. We get to Somerville from Burton on FM 1948. In Somerville we ride across the dam and lunch is in that area. From the dam we cut through Somerville to FM 1361 and ride to Snook. This requires us to cross SH 36 in Somerville so expect some delays there. Snook is the last break stop on the route and most everyone takes it. It's hot and we're 140 miles or more into the event and legs are wearing down for sure.

From Snook we get on FM 60 and ride into Aggieland. The right lane on FM 60 from Snook will be closed to cars. I would expect riders to start entering the local area around 11 and for the route lined out below to have disruptions until around 230.
  • We exit FM 60 at the airport then turn left onto Turkey Creek and ride to F&B Road.
  • We take a right on F&B and cross 2818 to Agronomy. This is a significant disruption. Officers directing traffic are asked to prioritize cyclists within reason. In past years that meant they would let us pool at this intersection then stop traffic and let a large group pass, holding up traffic for a couple of minutes at a time until there weren't really any cyclists to accommodate.
  • We take a right on Agronomy and cross university on to west campus. This is the other significant disruption with a similar approach to F&B and 2818. From there we cross under Wellborn at Albritton Tower then over to Kyle Field and the ride ends next to Aggie Park.

The other significant disruption that has gotten people frustrated the past two years is that the left turn off of SH 47 onto FM 60 is closed. You will be forced to turn right (west) onto FM 60 then go down a bit and do a U Turn to get into town on 60. If you try to do an immediate U Turn you'll find a police officer there to change your mind. My recommendation is if you're coming in on 47 take Villa Maria to 2818 or even Texas and avoid the 47/60 intersection that afternoon.

A friendly reminder that it takes time to close down an event like this so the cones and portable jumbotrons will be in place well after the ride is over. Cones are likely gone by Sunday evening but last year I think we learned that the signs aren't removed until sometime Monday. I don't know for sure on that last one but last year we had some folks frustrated because the signs were still in place well after the event was over.

Lastly I'd be remiss if I didn't tell everyone this is a fundraiser and beg for donations. This is my 7th year signing up and 5th ride with 20 and 21 being cancelled. My mom and sister both have MS so this one is a bit personal for me as its a small gesture to support them in their struggle. If you'd like to contribute please follow this link to do so. If not, that's OK as that's not the purpose of this post. My clients have always been incredibly supportive and i've already surpassed my goal for this year.

OK, that's a lot. Thanks in advance for your patience. Have a great week!
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
doubledog
So noted. Have a great ride!
Tailgate88
AG
Hoping for good weather and a wind at your back! Congrats to all the riders taking part in this worthy cause.
LOYAL AG
AG
Bump. Ride is this weekend. Weather is iffy and if the storms materialize they won't do the ride Sunday. So far they aren't even telling us how to sign up for weather updates so they're planning to go forward. If Sunday gets cancelled I'll post here but the set up will probably have already been done so that area will still be a pain.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
mason12
AG
It seems like every year it rains for this and stuff gets cancelled. Wish everyone the best with the riding conditions.
chigger
AG
I mean… it is April.
JMac03
AG
Hope you are able to get it done before the rain rolls in!!
LOYAL AG
AG
Well we got it done! Hit some rain between Carmine and Burton but it wasn't bad. Thanks to everyone for their patience this afternoon. Good time by all.
maroon barchetta
Glad y'all were able to avoid the weather that went northeast!
chigger
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.