Another Optimum rant/question

1,490 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Pondering65
TexAg1987
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rate went up again. For those that have threatened to cancel and received a price break, what did you say or who did you talk to?

The most that I have gotten was an offer to reduce my package to a lower one to save $5, and also lose my ability to get the SEC network.

No Fiber companies in my neighborhood.
A little scared to use Satellite internet because my wife often works from home and needs good speed and reliable signal.

Maybe need to ditch the cable portion and just stream. If I can get everything with one service. Hate having to remember which is on which provider.
91_Aggie
AG
they have tightened down... the only way to get a break is to be ready to move to another provider and tell them you want to cancel so they'll send you to their retention group which might get you a better deal... but they could also call your bluff and accept your cancellation
Golf1
AG
I use YouTube tv and just optimum for the wifi but my interest went up and I asked them the process on cancelling because they keep bringing the price up and then they offered the same price as metronet which is $60 for 1 GB of internet.

I'm planning on moving this year and when I do, I'll probably give metronet a try. Optimum always cuts in and out on wifi.
aggiesed8r
AG
Why are you not streaming already?

Sorry. Edit to say I see you are 1987 Ag
TexAg1987
I do some. Wife is class of '76 and she is even more resistant.

Mainly haven't done the research to find a service that still provides all the channels we like to watch without subscribing to so many that it defeats the purpose.

We have amassed a bunch of TV's in the house (all bedrooms, kitchen, outdoors, Master bath...) and they are all wired for cable. Getting them all switched to streaming capable will be a small chore. This is probably what was holding me back more than anything.
aggiesed8r
AG
If you have wifi, will cover all the TVs. Cable cutting forum in the nerdery is a great resource if you're ever bored. I streamed about a month trial to make sure I was happy before cutting the dish.
TexAg1987
Thanks
Txmoe
AG
aggiesed8r said:

Why are you not streaming already?

Sorry. Edit to say I see you are 1987 Ag
As an...ahem...older dude I'm happy to say that we're fully streaming in our household.

Works great until the sprinkler guy cuts the internet line coming into your house and everything in your house stops working! (Yeah, I figured out how to use cell phone as hotspot until line was fixed but still a pain.)
iisanaggie
AG
I call anytime they raise our rate, usually once a year. I always start with the retention department and skip the initial customer service people.

I start by complaining about my higher bill. Sometimes that is enough for them to check for ways to lower it. If they don't initiate that process, I ask for current deals. If they say they are only for new customers, I question why they don't value long-time customers and remind them that I have other options (even if the other options are crappy). If none of this works, I threaten to cancel. If that doesn't work, I begin the cancellation process. I have only made it to this point once. I got it all set to disconnect, and then got a call the next day to offer me a deal.

Sometimes, I get annoyed with the first person taking too long, can't understand them, or just generally being unhelpful. I hang up and call again to try to get a better start to the process.

A few very important things:

1. If you are happy with what you currently have, remind them multiples times that you want nothing to change.

2. If you are okay with some changes, make sure you are very clear about what you are losing/getting.

3. Do not hang up until you have a confirmation email and/or the name and ID number (or whatever they call it) of the employee you talked to.

4. Confirm what the total will be once all of the taxes, fees, etc are added.

Good luck!
Barnyard96
AG
How is the service with Optimum? fast?
Pondering65
AG
Dislike optimum with a passion…way over priced and cut throat and down right rude when you call to cancel…it's only then they care about the customer. Switched to frontier and love the fast service (fiber) for 60% less…cut the cord with dish and switched to YouTubeTV and saved another $100+. Overall I save nearly $200 a month. Stay away from optimum
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.