Property Appraisals May Have Killed The Bond

5,689 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Hornbeck
SCHTICK00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was for and could justify the CSISD bond considering the age of facilities. But now after getting my appraisal I'm a no.
RafterAg223
AG
These appraisals are complete BS. This is simply a game at this point and I'm sick of it. I saw a 29% increase last year and fought it. I pulled legitimate comps and won. Now another 30% increase this year for me. I again have comps that will blow this out of the water, but I'm forced to schedule a protest and go through their stupid dog and pony protest show again. This is nuts. It's so bad now, that their valuations in many cases are quite a bit higher on currently listed properties than they are even listed for.
happyinBCS
I am a No also, just like last time.

whoop1995
AG
RafterAg223 said:

These appraisals are complete BS. This is simply a game at this point and I'm sick of it. I saw a 29% increase last year and fought it. I pulled legitimate comps and won. Now another 30% increase this year for me. I again have comps that will blow this out of the water, but I'm forced to schedule a protest and go through their stupid dog and pony protest show again. This is nuts. It's so bad now, that their valuations in many cases are quite a bit higher on currently listed properties than they are even listed for.
I thought by Texas law it could only be raised by 10 %max per year? Did they change the law or something? Not saying 10% is chicken feed.

Edit - maybe this is only with a homestead exemption on it? Are these rental properties?
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
cslifer
They can raise the value they assign to the property as much as they want, they just aren't able to tax you on all of that value if they raise it too much.
RafterAg223
AG
cslifer said:

They can raise the value they assign to the property as much as they want, they just aren't able to tax you on all of that value if they raise it too much.
This....they can raise the market value so much that they are coming back every year for 10% each time until they finally claw back the entire homestead cap loss gap.
Stupe
S
Why does this change your mind? The issues with the facilities are still there.

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I'm just curious.
EBrazosAg
AG
Increases valuation doesn't make the need for a bond any greater or less. It only makes the end result of the argument "we didn't raise the tax rate " less relevant to the taxpayers end payment at the end of the year. To be fair - the taxing entities are disconnected from the tax appraisers. However, they do know what is coming….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Good evening,

I'm relatively ignorant about how the property taxes are used, and I admit that, and it's all on me. But, how are the increased taxes being used? What good are they providing the residents?

"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Those medians ain't gonna pay for themselves.
etmydst
AG
Actually, you could say they do with the lower crash rates they provide.
EBrazosAg
AG
Please link the study that proves that. I think that's what we are missing….even though property appraisal and bond issue are a total derailment in relation to medians…..it could make a good prior thread post or a new thread.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Garhett_W
AG
Softball and Baseball should not be played on turf
SCHTICK00
AG
Stupe said:

Why does this change your mind? The issues with the facilities are still there.

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I'm just curious.

At some point you say enough is enough. The bond was explained to cost the same as a coffee/100k/month. I'll assume that coffee is $5 which means $25/month for a $500k property. This new appraisal means I'm now indebted another 25 coffees/month. Were at the point that government is running out of other people's money to spend and I'm at my end with the inefficiencies and lack of stewardship.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Garhett_W said:

Softball and Baseball should not be played on turf

Think the big thing here is that it would save tons in maintenance costs, make it so more tournaments/games can be hosted on them, plus the field conditions as they are, are poor at best. Pretty much any storm that comes through nukes at least a day (usually more) of practice.

Kids getting more practice time + far lower maintenance costs + the ability to bring more events here (which pushes more money through our economy) = Win
Brian Alg
The Good Aggieboy19 said:

Kids getting more practice time + far lower maintenance costs + the ability to bring more events here (which pushes more money through our economy) = Win

Notice how they never use numbers in these equations. The savings in maintenance is likely minuscule in comparison to the construction costs. And from figures the City of College Station has regarding visitors associated with tournaments and whatnot, promises of recoupment through taxing visitors are preposterous. If it is worth $200 per household or whatever to have those extra days of practice for a however many ball players we are talking about, then that's the math.

Please don't vote for this based on false promises of savings and recoupment.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
My rental thankfully has the value held the same from last year.

But my personal property increased by over $80K from last year. Every dang year we have to do this song and dance to try and keep the value reasonably adjusted a d it's a beating.

I'm tempted to explore the route of class action lawsuit because there no way any state politician should keep their elected position allowing this to happen. $100K homestead exemption passed isn't even a drop in the bucket.
woodiewood
etmydst said:

Actually, you could say they do with the lower crash rates they provide.
But do you enter an increased of the cost of delays in EMS and fire department responses that caused additional damage to life and property?
Fleen
If someone offered me the appraised value of my home right now, I would probably take it and run...
Independence H-D
Actually they have used numbers. Real numbers. And if you would bother to investigate it I'm certain that they would be happy to provide them for you.
retiredintx
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

But my personal property increased by over $80K from last year. Every dang year we have to do this song and dance to try and keep the value reasonably adjusted a d it's a beating.

I'm tempted to explore the route of class action lawsuit because there no way any state politician should keep their elected position allowing this to happen. $100K homestead exemption passed isn't even a drop in the bucket.

And if you pursue legal action, you would have plenty of support!
Dufflepud
RafterAg223 said:

Exact same situation. Fought it last year only to get another 31% increase this year.
maroon barchetta
Fleen said:

If someone offered me the appraised value of my home right now, I would probably take it and run...

But then you have to buy another house somewhere. Unless you rent.
maroon barchetta
Red Pear Luke looked into some comps for me last year. What he found didn't help me much due to some new homes in the area and sales of some others but I appreciated the offer!
JMac03
AG

Our house went up over $50k and both rentals $25-$30k. So stupid.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Thank you for the kind words! Happy to help again this year if needed
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
The biggest problem here is that values are from "January 1st" which was also when interest rates were closer to 6.0% vs the 7.5%+ they are now.

The difference between the market from end of year 2023 to today is that:
  • Inflation was expected to drop in Nov/Dec of 2023 and market was expecting 6 rate cuts over 2024.
  • Inflation has actually continued to trend up above 3%+ and now the market is 50/50 on forecasting a rate HIKE in 2024....

These folks at the County Appraisal District likely don't understand simple fundamentals in that as Interest Rates go UP - Property Values/Prices go DOWN because the COST to finance increases. So the available supply of buyers shrinks at any given price range and people have to move down in desired purchasing power because they don't meet the income requirements needed for the same amount of loan dollars.

Best example of this is looking at Commercial Real Estate Values - have they been going up since Jan of 2023?

doubledog
RafterAg223 said:

First year that my house was appraised higher then the estimated value on ZILLOW.
George Costanza
Don't forget that an increase in valuation doesn't necessarily mean a corresponding increase in school taxes. School districts are limited to an increase in property tax revenue of 2.5% per year so more than likely increased valuations will result in a corresponding tax rate decrease.
Marlin39m
Taxing unrealized gains is so wrong.
MiMi
S

Thank you for the kind words! Happy to help again this year if needed
For those of us interested in appealing, what is the best way to get comps for our home? Any other 'evidence' we should gather to show them that the Brazos CAD appraised value is significantly higher than current market value?
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Brian Alg said:

The Good Aggieboy19 said:

Notice how they never use numbers in these equations. The savings in maintenance is likely minuscule in comparison to the construction costs. And from figures the City of College Station has regarding visitors associated with tournaments and whatnot, promises of recoupment through taxing visitors are preposterous. If it is worth $200 per household or whatever to have those extra days of practice for a however many ball players we are talking about, then that's the math.

Please don't vote for this based on false promises of savings and recoupment.

They did use real numbers. See below
Brian Alg
Independence H-D said:

Actually they have used numbers. Real numbers. And if you would bother to investigate it I'm certain that they would be happy to provide them for you.
Again. Notice that there are no actual numbers here.

CSISD claims the turf thing will save $274k per year. Prop B is $13.27 million.

If you divide that out, annual savings there is something like 2% of the project's cost. I am not sure if that would even cover the interest on the bond.

Not sure if they accounted for resurfacing costs in 10 years. But that is a major consideration if they didn't.

There are reasons someone might want to vote for the bond. But claims that maintenance savings and extra taxes from tournament visitors will make it closer to costless are BS.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
ukbb2003
Marlin39m said:

Taxing unrealized gains is so wrong.

Seriously! Just do a state income tax. At least it is on money I have actually received.
woodometer
AG
I'm so disillusioned over these property tax increases every year. I never thought I would say this but I'm now in favor of eliminating property taxes and replacing it with a state income tax. If the government were increasing income taxes at the same rate each year there would be riots in the streets. Most people dont understand how property taxes work and they just hear from the entities that they didnt raise taxes and pay the bill. Any reduction in school taxes that the legislature passed last year will be wiped out by the county and cities this year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.