Walton hall

4,502 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by maroon barchetta
bobcat90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter missed her deadline of housing assignments, and she didn't get her preference of a dorm. She's been put into Walton Hall. Please share if your kids lived in this dorm their freshman year.
TommyBrady
AG
Its not luxurious by any means and its old, but it's location is pretty good. It's right next to Hullabaloo Hall and all the amenities there. It's right across the street from Sbisa and the underground for food. It's also right across the street from Northgate and all that stuff.

Another Doug
AG
Kids post dorm tours on YouTube/tiktok , you can probably find one. Btw, how does she know already, I thought selection for freshmen doesn't start until the 6th
trouble
AG
I had no idea Walton was co-ed
bobcat90
AG
She got an email today.
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

I had no idea Walton was co-ed

And it has air conditioning.
chickencoupe16
AG
bobcat90 said:

My daughter missed her deadline of housing assignments, and she didn't get her preference of a dorm. She's been put into Walton Hall. Please share if your kids lived in this dorm their freshman year.
Walton wasn't coed in my time but if the culture's still the same she'll be in for a time. Not necessarily bad or dangerous or anything but certainly strange.
trouble
AG
I knew about the AC
trouble
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

bobcat90 said:

Walton wasn't coed in my time but if the culture's still the same she'll be in for a time. Not necessarily bad or dangerous or anything but certainly strange.

Every single person I know who lived in Walton is weird. And I mostly love them.
bobcat90
AG
What do you mean strange?
chickencoupe16
AG
bobcat90 said:

What do you mean strange?
Think Dungeons and Dragons meets all the negatives of Bonfire. Or just read this Reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/aggies/comments/2841jw/whats_the_worst_thing_youve_ever_heard_about/
aggiepaintrain
AG
if she can find roommates the Standard across University is way better

histag10
AG
There are some really amazing and awesome men who lived in Walton. They would literally give you the shirt off their back.

Just don't touch the handrails and make sure you have your meningitis vaccine.
rptsAg03
Our son is in Walton as a freshman. Really, all of us old people remember Bonfire Walton, but Walton is honestly your pretty standard dorm now. Co-ed. AC. Small rooms, but has been an overall pleasant living experience for him. I assume this assignment is for an LLC of some sort?
chickencoupe16
AG
histag10 said:

There are some really amazing and awesome men who lived in Walton. They would literally give you the shirt off their back.

Just don't touch the handrails and make sure you have your meningitis vaccine.
I agree. And there are two that instantly come to mind for me. Doesn't mean even they aren't strange.
bobcat90
AG
What do you mean llc?
chickencoupe16
AG
bobcat90 said:

What do you mean llc?
Living Learning Community. The idea is you house engineers with other engineers, pre-med with pre-med, etc and they have friends to study with.
bobcat90
AG
Oh interesting. Not sure if that's why she's there. She befriended someone online as a roommate. The truth has come out. She wouldn't tell me who her roommate is until tonight. Needless to say, I'm not ok with her choice. She's an adult but I'm paying. Really wanted her to try to fit in better than she did in high school but she's rooming right now with a trans. A trans who is a guy wanting to be a girl. He is legally a man! I can't i really can't. I had a breakdown. Maybe I'm a bad person but why begin this way? To just be in the normal status quo is all i want for her. She wanted to go to ut but didn't get in. I was happy and thought A&M will be a better place, a better environment but she looks for controversy
Am i horrible for saying this?? If it was your child, how would you feel?
Another Doug
AG
You are not horrible for having thoughts on this subject, however I will say this is a small town and this is a very public forum.
threecatcorner
Weird. I wonder how much they've redone it. It used to be men only and did not have air conditioning so it was one of the cheapest dorms.

So does that mean they have converted or torn down all the non-AC dorms?

I'm not sure how old it is but I'm thinking it's pretty old.

It's close to Northgate.
TommyBrady
AG
bobcat90
AG
What do you mean by saying this is a very public forum. Did i say too much?
bobcat90
AG
No meaning I'm not horrible? No meaning you wouldn't allow either?
threecatcorner
Probably suggesting it wouldn't be too hard for your daughter to stumble across this board, read what you wrote, and get her feelings hurt.

Or someone who knows her could read it and figure out who you're talking about.
Bunk Moreland
If it was my money paying for it I don't think there's any way I could let my kid begin their journey in college with that living situation. I can't imagine how difficult it is to sort through all your thoughts right now.

Praying for you. And her. And the potential roommate.
maroon barchetta
Not sure if I believe the OP.

https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/3411532/replies/65943053#65943053

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/3185207/replies/58833160#58833160

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3184958/replies/58825286#58825286

https://texags.com/forums/59/topics/3450688/replies/67195233#67195233
NateDog
AG
You're not a bad person for being concerned for your daughter's well being and wanting what's best for her. She'll find out pretty quick whether she made a mistake taking on this guy for a roommate.

It may work out just fine, so don't despair, and don't allow the situation to become a wedge between you & your daughter.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Just decline the opportunity and find alternate living accommodations. Problem solved.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
doubledog
It is all about the room mate.
Walton has charm and stories to last a life time.

TyHolden
AG
Is their motto still Walton Loads?
threecatcorner
I doubt that dorm has gotten better in the 30+ years since I've seen it.

Also, I don't know if things have changed any, but back when I attended A&M, they did not guarantee that you would get to stay with whatever roommate you picked out, so she might or might not even wind up really rooming with this person.
bobcat90
AG
Yeah… happy to share my life with you. It truly is unbelievable. I could write a book. Not sure what your intent is by copying all of my past posts but i could create a timeline if you'd like.
bobcat90
AG
Yep. Pulled her outta there and she's got her own place now.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I thought all the dorms are coed now? I know Moses is! When I went to visit my nephew, I was shocked!
trouble
AG
I have no idea. My big kids have been out for 6 years now and being a corps mom skewed my view of everything on campus anyway
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.