Metroplex
Sponsored by

Frontier Fiber - Flower Mound

1,075 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Wheatables02
DropDemNuggetz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello all - I'm moving into a new house in Flower Mound here in the next month and currently plan to utilize Frontier's 500 fiber internet plan (what I have at my current residence with no significant issues). I was speaking with the current owner of the home that I purchased (who has spectrum) and he indicated that he had heard others around the area having issues with Frontier. I don't see why the performance of the service (I'm mainly concerned with outages) would be any different from where I currently live (west Plano) however I thought best to see if anyone on this board uses them (or has previously) and can provide perspective, whether positive or negative.

Thanks in advance.
AggieMPH2005
Welcome to FloMo! What part of town will you be in?

We have had frontier for the last 3-4 years and have been much happier with it versus spectrum.
Spaceship
AG
We're in Flower Mound and have Spectrum. It's worked really well for us. My next door neighbors have Frontier and are always having issues. I guess it depends on your specific area.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
Thank you! We will be off Cross Timbers Rd about 1.5 miles west of Long Prairie.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
Spaceship said:

We're in Flower Mound and have Spectrum. It's worked really well for us. My next door neighbors have Frontier and are always having issues. I guess it depends on your specific area.
I've read plenty about this disparity in service quality, but most of that seems to hinge on whether you have fiber or their older DSL/cable option. It seems like most of Flower Mound has fiber capabilities/coverage, however I've seen differing reviews from people stating they are in Flower Mound and have issues (which doesn't align with the original assumption that an area that receives fiber capability shouldn't have much issue).
Spaceship
AG
DropDemNuggetz said:

Thank you! We will be off Cross Timbers Rd about 1.5 miles west of Long Prairie.
We're in Bridlewood, FYI. Welcome to FloMo…it's such a great place to live.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
Thanks for the information as it seems we will be in the same service area. On paper I prefer Fiber over the cable option given the benefits (and the fact that Frontier's fiber is better priced than Spectrum). I may give it a go and see how the first 3-6 months go, with Spectrum being the back up option.
AggieMPH2005
I'm not too far from either of you at Flower Mound Road and Long Priarie.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I'm not in FM but I do have Frontier fiber internet service and it has been awesome!!!

Absolutely zero issues and install was a breeze. In fact I did not even need to use their router or wifi device at all as I had Google Mesh boxes and the incoming signal just goes right into my box. So no configuration issues with a router or having to disable its wifi, etc.

I have great quality throughout the house and the Frontier signal has never even had an outage to my knowledge in 1 year. I have 4 people utilizing a lot of internet data:

4 streaming Tvs or Rokus
My sons Meta Quest VR and Nintendo Switch and Xbox he plays a lot of online games
6 computers/laptops
4 phones
1 watch
1 ipad
1 myQ garage system
3 security cameras
2 online accessible thermostats
Trustmyvoice
AG
We've got Frontier in FLOMO and it works wonderfully. 1GIG symmetrical and its been really dependable, maybe one or two outages of less than an hour in 2 years.
ghollow
AG
I live next door in Highland Village. I have had Frontier since it was first available here. It was Verizon back then. I have no complaints. It has been very reliable. I call them up every 2 or 3 years and threaten to leave them and I always come out of the conversation with a better plan.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
TAMUallen
AG
FWIW I just saw this on nextdoor in grapevine

"Frontier Internet Outage. . . Our Frontier fiber connection has been down since early Tuesday morning. I understand their entire network is down, nationwide, including customer support lines. No one seems to know when they will be back up. Just wondering if this is true. Are there any Frontier customers with internet right now? Anyone heard anything about a time to resolution?"

I only had frontier for a short while when I was also in grapevine near main street. They bought it from Verizon. There were ZERO problems for years through Verizon. Speeds met or exceeded what was paid for with zero interruptions. Frontier took over the existing and instantly there were problems regularly.

In west texas, I have family that had used Frontier but not fiber and they had so many problems they switched over to starlink
Shumba
AG
Flower Mound resident here. First off, welcome. Flomo is a great place to raise a family. We have two kids in the school system and have been happy with it so far.

I have had Frontier for the last year or so, and up to this week, it has been great. I heard there was a hack and they had to take a lot of systems off line this week. I typically get 940 Mbps down, but the last couple of days I have only seen 94 Mbps when I run the speed test. I'm hoping they get it fixed soon.

I did have Verizon 5G home service before I switched to Frontier, and I'm thinking I might get it again as a fail over plan (it looks like their plans start at $45 a month), just in case Frontier goes down. I liked the cost of the Verizon plan, but I could never get over 300 Mbps down (and they were promising up to 1 gig). I work 100% remote, so I can't have internet issues.
Wheatables02
AG
I'm in Wellington around there. Have had frontier since it was Verizon FioS. It's only gone out maybe three times in 15 years. If someone is having issues it's because they didn't set their router in a good place and didn't add a mesh for their wireless.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.