Tornado in Perryton

3,064 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by topoftexasag
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There was a tornado in Perryton a little after 5 pm today.

I'm told that they've already had more than 50 911 calls for dead people. Of course, some calls may duplicate others and some may just be incorrect, but that would still leave quite a few deaths.
TequilaMockingbird
https://weather.com/storms/severe/video/tornado-damage-in-perryton-texas
eric76
AG
Another guy and I were going to go out about 8 am for some quick radio work after the wind was scheduled to die down (it's not much fun to be standing up on the south end of a metal roof with a moderate wind from a northerly direction), but the wind hasn't died down as forecast and he went with a fire truck to help out with the efforts in Perryton.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I've heard one confirmed death so far.
Potcake
AG
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/15/weather/severe-weather-south-thursday/index.html
Sea Pony 07
AG
We were lucky-our house is fine. We're about a mile from touchdown. Lots of hail and wind and no one in town has power. I'm sitting in my car charging my phone. Our other cell doesn't have service right now (Att)

The sirens didn't go off.
eric76
AG
Sea Pony 07 said:

I've heard one confirmed death so far.
I've only heard of one confirmed death so far, as well.

Also, a whole lot of injuries. I don't remember the number, though.
Sea Pony 07
AG
3 confirmed deaths, 75 injuries. We just ran a bunch of supplies up to the high school. If anyone is in the area, they are staging a shelter there and the red cross I'd staging at the expo center. The high school really needs blankets, flashlights, and non-perishables.
91AggieLawyer
AG
The damage appears to be EF3-ish judging from the videos. Doesn't capture everything obviously.
TequilaMockingbird
TequilaMockingbird
TequilaMockingbird
eric76
AG
This is what was told to me this morning by someone who went over to help with the rescues last night:

1) Nobody has any idea of the number of fatalities, but it is a lot more than three.
2) Even a mobile home tied down according to the best practice would not have survived. The tornado apparently took all but the floors of some mobile homes and scattered them for quite a distance.
3) The upper two thirds or more of their big cell tower in Perryton is gone.
4) He has no idea how many people are now homeless, but said that it is quite a lot of people and most have absolutely nothing left.
5) They left the emergency generators from the firetrucks at the Expo Center.

He was there working til around midnight after a regular day of work. I was surprised to see him up already.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
This is just unbelievable devastation. Those folks need prayers and support for sure.

Sea Pony 07
AG
If you are donating supplies big needs right now are formula, feminine hygiene products and size 5 and 6 diapers.
eric76
AG
It looks like the total fatalities will be 3. Everyone is apparently accounted for now.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

The tornado hit about 5 p.m. in the northwestern part of town and traveled southeast to the other side of town, creating a path of destruction in its wake.
https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/perryton-texas-tornado-damage-survey

That's unusual. They usually travel southwest to northeast. The Jerrell monster back in the late '90s actually did some sort of an East to West movement.
Aggie1
AG
I worked steel construction in the Waka Elevators as a summer job when I was a student. From the top it was common to see tornadoes often. We didn't have time to get to the ground - too many ladder steps. So we would stand on the topside auger box and tie ropes around us and hope for the best. Sometimes the tornadoes woukd swoop by pretty close. Luckily we were spared.
Perryton was the closest city of any size.
Lot of tornadoes in that country!
topoftexasag
AG
Really devastating to our town and its people. Money and donations poured in early and most all has been distributed to families and individuals. No help from state or federal government. Need will be for small businesses and if they can re-build. Will take years to get main street back to something that resembled what it used to be.
Sea Pony 07
AG
The owner of Expressions posted on Facebook that their corner of the building wasn't salvageable and most the buildings and merch wasn't insured on the block due to the age of the buildings.
topoftexasag
AG
Will be interesting to see who rebuilds and how. I have heard there is an investor looking to buy the 100 block of main and put in a strip mall type building. Hope the economy is able to rebound.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I really hope the town will be able to rebuild, but I am not a fan of a strip-mall type area. I liked the old-fashioned quaint feeling of downtown.
CanyonAg77
AG
I grew up in Hale Center, a tornado ripped through its downtown in 1965. Most of the old buildings with 1920s character were destroyed, or rebuilt in 1960s style. Some were never rebuilt, and there are gaps in downtown.

HC was already in decline, don't know about Perryton. I hope they can recover, but a disaster like this is often a town killer
topoftexasag
AG
SBA is now allowing businesses to apply for long term, low rate loans. This is a step in the right direction and will hopefully help some.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.