Buc-ees coming to Amarillo?

3,459 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Aggie1
TequilaMockingbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buc-ee's gets commission's approval for rezoning of additional land in Amarillo
Michael Cuviello
Amarillo Globe-News

Buc-ee's received approval from the Amarillo Planning and Zoning Commission during Monday's meeting to rezone an additional 3.38 acres of land adjacent to Interstate 40 and Juett Attebury Road for a future site for Buc-ee's in Amarillo.
The additional acreage acquired will bring the total acreage of the new site to 27.73 acres, with the additional property necessary to provide an easement to serve as a truck exit for SpeedCo Inc., a subsidiary of Loves Travel Stops and Country Stores, to the interstate, which had previously rejected earlier proposals that would have to build over the access road to their business.

Originally approved by the city council for the new site, this project was to begin construction in March of this year, but a dispute among property owners in the area had delayed the land purchase and construction. With these disputes settled by Buc-ee's, the new zoning, which is an exception to the future land use map of the city, was approved due to the commercial development of this area close to the airport.

The commission stated that this approved rezoning was consistent with other developments in the area and would not have any detrimental impacts on the area. Other projects already in the area include the Texas Visitors Center, which is across the road and a truck wash.

Now approved by the commission, the rezoning will move forward to the Amarillo City Council for final approval. Once approval from the city has been given, Buc-ee's will likely give a construction start date. The new site is expected to be around 53,000 square feet with about 120 gas pumps and about 150 employees, with a cost of about $30 million to build.

An economic incentive package to bring the Buc-ee's Travel Center to Amarillo includes reduced tax collections over the first 20 years of the business. Officials from Amarillo expect an annual economic impact of $8 million from this new travel center.

https://www.amarillo.com/story/news/2023/07/21/buc-ees-gets-approved-for-rezoning-additional-acreage-for-amarillo/70424223007/?utm_source=amarillo-globe-news-daily-briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailybriefing&utm_term=hero&utm_content=nagn-amarillo-nletter65

Aggie1
AG
https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/state-regional/whats-the-status-of-buc-ees-in-amarillo-2022-overview-catch-up/
CanyonAg77
AG
Anyone flying out of Amarillo will need to add another 15 minutes to their planning, to get through the intersection of I-40 and Airport Blvd.
BrazosBendHorn
CanyonAg77 said:

Anyone flying out of Amarillo will need to add another 15 minutes to their planning, to get through the intersection of I-40 and Airport Blvd.
No kidding. the Buc-ee's in Bastrop was causing such a bottleneck on SH 71 that TXDOT had to construct some major highway improvements.
BrazosBendHorn
BTW, there are any number of videos about Buc-ee's on YouTube. This one about two Brits checking the place out is as good as any.

I do take issue with Buc-ee's referring to the meat/cheese/bread food item as a "kolache." (Granted, that's how everyone in this part of the state refers to them.) But this item is more properly known as a klabosnek (as the good folks at Hruska's (or any other authentic Czech bakery in Texas) will remind you. If it's fruit & pastry, it's a kolache. If it's meat & bread (sometimes with cheese) it's a klabosnek.

Klobasnek

RedAnimal12
CanyonAg77 said:

So just exit I-40 at lakeside and head north, take the SE 3rd exit east, and then jump on Airport Blvd.
CanyonAg77
AG
RedAnimal12 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

So just exit I-40 at lakeside and head north, take the SE 3rd exit east, and then jump on Airport Blvd.

Well, that would force more traffic to go past the new location of the Texas Air and Space Museum, assuming they ever move over there.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.myhighplains.com/news/local-news/upcoming-amarillo-buc-ees-location-seen-officially-under-construction/

Quote:

AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) Commuters in the Amarillo area in the first week of October may have noticed a change to the southeast corner of East I-40 and Amarillo Boulevard: After more than a year and a half of organization and procedural bumps in the road, the upcoming Amarillo Buc-ee's location was able to officially begin construction.

The project has been long-awaited by the Amarillo community and closely monitored by local brand enthusiasts, after the Buc-ee's location was approved in February 2022 but stalled due to legal trouble concerning the property.
CanyonAg77
AG
I was confused because your quote says I40 and AMARILLO Boulevard

They since corrected it to AIRPORT Boulevard

Aggie1
Aggie1
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/story/news/2023/10/10/buc-ees-announces-amarillo-groundbreaking-first-in-texas-panhandle/71130491007/

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/amarillo-buc-ees-breaking-ground-in-two-weeks-i-40-airport-worlds-cleanest-bathrooms-beaver-nuggets-gas-station-route-66-chicago
Quote:

Buc-ee's will officially break ground on its Amarillo location in two weeks.
The ceremony is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Oct. 26.
Located at I-40 and Airport Blvd, Buc-ee's Amarillo will occupy 74,000 square feet and offer 108 fueling positions and 24 EV charging stations.
Buc-ee's Amarillo will bring at least 200 full-time jobs to the area, with starting pay beginning well above minimum wage, full benefits, a 6% matching 401k, and three weeks of paid vacation.
Aggie1
AG
Quote:

Buc-ee's, the Texas-based convenience store brand, has acquired more than 3.3 additional acres of land to use for its newest site in Amarillo.
RockyGamucci
Hope not- Buccees sucks. An Embarrassment to our great state
CanyonAg77
AG
RockyGamucci said:

Tell me you didn't read any of the thread without telling me you read none of the thread
RedAnimal12
RockyGamucci said:

Heckuva first post. Also hates duct tape & freedom.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.myhighplains.com/news/local-news/buc-ees-location-in-amarillo-now-hiring/

now hiring
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.