Business & Investing
Sponsored by

1 BTC = $0.06M today. New All Time High

11,643 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by kyledr04
Algorithmic Epiphany
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do we hit $69,420 before Friday?

Oh man this is gonna spiral out of control this cycle.

Hope everyone is prepared.

The times, they are a'changin.
jagvocate
AG
Prepared … for what? Either you own it or you don't. If you own it, are you really trading it for $USD?

If you don't, the Sun shall
Also rise.
donkeykick90
AG
diamond hands
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Tendies for all
TxAG#2011
Cringe
txaggie_08
AG
Weird how some of y'all have to constantly pump it on this site.
one safe place
A lot of things have gone up in value and a lot of things have gone down in value. Most things do both. A number is a number until sold or traded or used to buy something else.
txaggie_08
AG
one safe place said:

A lot of things have gone up in value and a lot of things have gone down in value. Most things do both. A number is a number until sold or traded or used to buy something else.
BTC needs to show more utility and less speculation. Happy for y'all riding the waves up, probably be smart to cash in on some of that FOMO.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
At what price does BTC need to be before it's not a speculative asset anymore?
GarlandAg2012
AG
lol

I'm a crypto believer but this is dumb. "How expensive do tulips need to get before you start believing this isn't just about speculation?!"
txaggie_08
AG
You seemed to skip over the utilization part of my post. Using BTC isn't practical in most situations, and until it is it won't be anything more than an asset that's value is driven by speculation.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think it has great utility, but I won't try to argue with you, as you obviously have your mind made up. I was just interested in the speculative portion of your post, and curious at what price you would consider it not speculative. I'm assuming you think it's fool hardy to allocate 401k dollars to it?
Pepper Brooks
AG
For legal business transactions in the US, I agree it's not currently practical due to the regulatory environment. For P2P, it's arguably as easy, if not easier, than Venmo.

Especially for sending money across borders.

I can put $10 into CashApp/Strike's app from my Chase account and send it to anyone who has a Bitcoin wallet, anywhere in the world, and they would have immediate settlement for less than 1% in fees. Right now. No bank account necessary.

In the case of Strike, I can send dollars across the BTC network rails and the app will give the recipient pesos if they want. It doesn't have to be Bitcoin.

The issue isn't a lack of utility. The issue is that most people don't know, or aren't willing to accept, that it's an option. That level of ignorance is quickly changing for the better and will accelerate as FOMO kicks in.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
I bleed maroon
AG
I'll be the first to admit I don't understand where value is created from bitcoin. Therefore, 2.5 years ago, I invested in COIN, based on the Randolph and Mortimer Duke philosophy.

30 months later, I have recovered to within 15% of my initial COIN investment (was down 70%+ at one point), even with the recent massive runup. On the flipside, a couple years ago, Venmo gave me $10 in free bitcoin for signing up for their crypto service, and it's up 30% since the gift. Crypto is not foolproof, and has significant risks not present in other asset classes.
txaggie_08
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

I think it has great utility, but I won't try to argue with you, as you obviously have your mind made up. I was just interested in the speculative portion of your post, and curious at what price you would consider it not speculative. I'm assuming you think it's fool hardy to allocate 401k dollars to it?

You can feel free to speak to the utility of it. I'd be interested.

I'm not 100% against BTC, but not sure I'd allocate a very large percentage of my retirement savings to it. If you wanted to allocate 1-5% I don't see any issue in that as a speculative play. But how are you buying BTC in a 401k? I would imagine in that case you aren't buying actual BTC but an etf, miner, etc.? How is that not speculative? There is zero actual BTC in your account for utilization, just an index/miner that tracks the price of BTC. I'm pretty sure the whole reason for BTC, according to those acquiring it, is as an alternative to traditional currency. Not much use there in this instance within your retirement accounts if the only way to recognize gains of that asset is to cash it out in USD.
txaggie_08
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

For legal business transactions in the US, I agree it's not currently practical due to the regulatory environment. For P2P, it's arguably as easy, if not easier, than Venmo.

Assuming the Buyer/Seller are comfortable with the risk that the BTC exchanged in that transaction may be worth much more/less in a very short period of time. You're still having to base that value against a currency, like the USD, and we've seen the price volatility of BTC against the USD.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Sure. That goes back to my comment about people's mindsets being the road block. The utility/ability to do the transaction is there regardless.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

bmks270
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Especially for sending money across borders.

I can put $10 into CashApp/Strike's app from my Chase account and send it to anyone who has a Bitcoin wallet, anywhere in the world, and they would have immediate settlement for less than 1% in fees. Right now. No bank account necessary.

In the case of Strike, I can send dollars across the BTC network rails and the app will give the recipient pesos if they want. It doesn't have to be Bitcoin.

The issue isn't a lack of utility. The issue is that most people don't know, or aren't willing to accept, that it's an option. That level of ignorance is quickly changing for the better and will accelerate as FOMO kicks in.

The issue is it's a solution looking for a problem.

Pepper Brooks
AG
Which existing payment rail includes instant settlement?
Separately, the fee structure is more competitive than visa.

I'm not going to argue the merits of it being better money again. I'm pretty sure you and I have already had that discussion.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

ac04
the utility is the protection of your purchasing power from debasement.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
txaggie_08 said:

You can feel free to speak to the utility of it. I'd be interested.

I'm not 100% against BTC, but not sure I'd allocate a very large percentage of my retirement savings to it. If you wanted to allocate 1-5% I don't see any issue in that as a speculative play. But how are you buying BTC in a 401k? I would imagine in that case you aren't buying actual BTC but an etf, miner, etc.? How is that not speculative? There is zero actual BTC in your account for utilization, just an index/miner that tracks the price of BTC. I'm pretty sure the whole reason for BTC, according to those acquiring it, is as an alternative to traditional currency. Not much use there in this instance within your retirement accounts if the only way to recognize gains of that asset is to cash it out in USD.

You are correct, I was referring to the ETFs that are now available. And FTR, I am much more bullish on it as a store of value than a currency that we will all be individually be using one day. But from the perspective of a currency, it does fulfill all of the requirements of one (durability, portability, divisibility, uniformity, limited supply, and acceptability). Those traits are why it will always have value. From a utility standpoint, besides a store of value, I don't know if we will ever be trading sats for groceries, but I do think there is incredible value for countries who choose to settle foreign transactions with an asset like Bitcoin that is external to each country's individual currency.
NoahAg
Bitcoiners: "Crypto is great b/c it's not a fiat currency tied to the government!"
Also bitcoiners: "Bitcoin is worth $60K today!"
txaggie_08
AG
NoahAg said:

Bitcoiners: "Crypto is great b/c it's not a fiat currency tied to the government!"
Also bitcoiners: "Bitcoin is worth $60K today!"
TexasRebel
AG
$60?
hunter2012
AG
bmks270
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

I'm not going to argue the merits of it being better money again. I'm pretty sure you and I have already had that discussion.

Credit cards work fine, are fast and cheap. No need to go through the block chain.
Credit cards also have extra protections for the user.

For large transfers a wire is actually cheaper and maybe even faster than Bitcoin.

If your activity's are not sanctioned by government or banks, then yes Bitcoin has utility. It's my belief that this is blockchain currencies only distinct offering of value. And it doesn't have to be Bitcoin.
ac04
a credit card transaction is not the same thing as settlement. not even going to bother addressing the laughable claims RE: wire transfers.
jagvocate
AG
bmks270 said:

Pepper Brooks said:

Credit cards work fine, are fast and cheap. No need to go through the block chain.

For large transfers a wire is actually cheaper and maybe even faster than Bitcoin.

If your activity's are not sanctioned by government or banks, then yes Bitcoin has utility. It's my belief that this is blockchain currencies only distinct offering of value. And it doesn't have to be Bitcoin.
Holy deep state talking points Bat Man. Why would anyone use Bitcoin for nefarious purposes when every transaction is recorded on the Blockchain?
Pepper Brooks
AG
Can we test your wire transfer theory?

You setup a Phoenix Wallet, give me the public Bitcoin address, and I'll send you some amount of Bitcoin at the same time you initiate the wire to my account for the equivalent in dollars.

I'd make a $5,000 side bet that Bitcoin hits the account and settles first three times out of three.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

hunter2012
AG
bmks270 said:

Pepper Brooks said:

I do believe that a specific benefit to Bitcoin is simply the fixed supply. There will only ever be 21 Million Bitcoin ever in all the universe ever. There is truly a value in a commodity(even if it's just an exchange medium) that cannot be inflated or manipulated to the benefit of the mint's government and is in fact deflationary by design. I do use it as a dollar hedge because given the choice it ought to be a no-brainer to select the deflationary one over the inflationary free floater. I also have extreme faith that our government will never be able to reign in it's own spending so it will continue to devalue the dollar until it is no longer the world reserve.

Also the biggest holders of Bitcoin only have a fraction of the total supply, so even if they dump or try to corner the market there's only so much damage they can do to it. The cat is out of the bag from a legal standpoint, and it's market cap is rising to the top of all commodities. In addition to all of this the ETF demand is around 10X the current supply.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Everyone in the upcoming generation will want bitcoin. Your kids and grand kids will ask why didn't you secure any for me? You'll say IT SpEcUlAtIvE still
TexasRebel
AG
It also means all 21,000,000 will get lost at some point.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I for one can't wait for Bitcoin treasure hunters. I'm imagining Indiana Jones with a neck beard.
Jack Boyett
AG
Good news. I had no idea. I bought (I think) $7k worth of BTC with my free govt COVID money. It was around $60k at the time. If I can figure out how to get logged into my coin base account I can see how much I'm up now. Lol at this thing.
TexasRebel
AG

I for one can't wait for Bitcoin treasure hunters. I'm imagining Indiana Jones with a neck beard.

If you can guess well, all bitcoin is free for the taking.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.