Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Why auto insurance costs are rising at the fastest rate in 47 years

3,384 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by P.H. Dexippus
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Auto insurance
HowdyAgs03
AG
"In general, the numbers of crashes, injuries, and fatalities are up, and inflation has made the cost of repairs more expensive."

"..motorists developed "bad habits" on the road during pandemic lockdowns, contributing to current behavior. For example, as the New York Times reported earlier this year, researchers in Nevada discovered that during the pandemic, motorists were speeding more (and driving through intersections), seat belt use was down, and intoxicated driving arrests were up to near-historic highs."
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I couldn't get the article to load, but I have to imagine that litigation is a huge piece as well.

We were hit twice in a couple of months in 2021. In one case, the offender lied after the fact, but the evidence clearly supported they were 100% at fault. That took 8 months to resolve. In the second case, the other driver claimed 100% fault and there was plenty of supporting evidence. Very cut and dry. The insurance companies still fought between each other for over 18 months before we got our deductible back. Those costs have to be enormous.

Having been through both incidents and reading up on it, seems like there's a big need for litigation reform. The insurance companies are happy to fight it out and pass the costs onto consumers.
HDeathstar
Rates are rising due to Inflation, uninsured motorists, and High cost to repair (inflation)/Cars more likely to be Totaled. This is the main reason.

Think about how easily they total the cars. Alot more vs the past. also I think the electric cars with the expensive battery replacement and risk of battery failure or fire after review of batteries post accident will cause these cars to be totaled quicker than normal cars. If you are in a wreck and they say the batteries are fine, and then you park it in the garage and it melts down the house, the insurance co does not want to take on that risk of being responsible for the house.

Blaming it on Covid driving habits is dumb.
fredfredunderscorefred
BenTheGoodAg said:

I couldn't get the article to load, but I have to imagine that litigation is a huge piece as well.

We were hit twice in a couple of months in 2021. In one case, the offender lied after the fact, but the evidence clearly supported they were 100% at fault. That took 8 months to resolve. In the second case, the other driver claimed 100% fault and there was plenty of supporting evidence. Very cut and dry. The insurance companies still fought between each other for over 18 months before we got our deductible back. Those costs have to be enormous.

Having been through both incidents and reading up on it, seems like there's a big need for litigation reform. The insurance companies are happy to fight it out and pass the costs onto consumers.

Your last sentence is the reason "reforms" are needed, and it is reforms from within the insurance companies. I could give example after example, offer to sit down for lunch and a beer and explain, have a "just trust me" tone, etc, but instead can just say "just trust yourself and your own words." Insurance companies deciding to "fight it out and pass it own" is the bigger issue. Just trust me ;-)
clobby
AG
3k insurance claim to replace taillights in my truck. They were stolen a second time a few months later. No way to keep the costs low. I bet there are areas of Dallas where less than 50% of the drivers on the road have insurance.
rlb28
AG
And distracted driving wasn't even mentioned... Texting and driving deserved a mention!!!
rlb28
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

When I read your first sentence I thought you meant personal injury lawyers. That is the litigation reform that is needed most. Billboards line the streets in Texas. I could tell you 100 stories about personal injury claims that would make your blood boil.
rlb28
AG

Quote:

The statistics bear it out.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Social Inflation
nortex97
AG
There are also more EV's on the road now and they cost a lot more to repair.
topher06
Personal injury is the scum of the legal world. They give every lawyer a terrible name, but they're to sleazy to even know it matters. Sure, they have a place in 10% of cases, but they'll all try to fabricate those cases the other 90% of the time. No idea how they live with themselves
rlb28
AG
rlb28 said:

Quote:

The statistics bear it out.
A public health epidemic

Even as Americans drove less during the COVID-19 pandemic, more than 40,000 people died in traffic crashes in 2020 the largest projected number of fatalities since 2007 with many of these attributed to distracted driving. What's more, because it's difficult for law enforcement to prove distracted driving after an accident occurs, it's believed that the number of crashes and fatalities caused by distracted driving are under reported.
rlb28
AG
topher06 said:

Personal injury is the scum of the legal world. They give every lawyer a terrible name, but they're to sleazy to even know it matters. Sure, they have a place in 10% of cases, but they'll all try to fabricate those cases the other 90% of the time. No idea how they live with themselves
so true.

Customer was turning left, going up a ramp in a parking garage. A lady came from behind one of big, round columns and was bumped by the car. She fell backward, but didn't spill her coffee. Once police arrived she was claiming she was "run over".

At this point the claim has been open 8 months. I called the adjuster last week and the plaintiff is asking for damages exceeding $200,000. She did not have a scrape on her.

They will eventually settle and it will be passed along to all of us in the form of increased premiums.
infinity ag
Thanks to Biden.
LMCane
any mention of 8 million illegals driving cr@ppy cars on our major highways and speeding to get to their next gig?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I feel like it's 'all of the above'.
rlb28
AG
LMCane said:

any mention of 8 million illegals driving cr@ppy cars on our major highways and speeding to get to their next gig?
true, and a good many of them are uninsured.

And that is the other part of legislation that needs to be changed, but I'm not sure what to do about uninsured. I know from watching "Parking Wars" back in the day that they will tow and impound your car if you're caught without car insurance in Philly. LOL!

If an uninsured motorist hits you there is no recourse other than to sue them. You aren't getting blood out of a turnip, so it's futile in most cases.
2wealfth Man
AG
Thomas J Henry and Jim Adler say "hi"
wcb
AG
$2k to replace a mirror. I love tech but it's killing replacement costs.

Side note, right by our house recently a driver crossed the center line and clipped an oncoming driver. There's no way you can convince me it was anything other than distracted driving. Phones have to be responsible for 80% of the incidents these days.
Senator Blutarski
AG
Something else to consider - insurance companies put both debt and equity into commercial real estate.
Medaggie
Someone rear ended me going prob 50mph, totaled the car. Had some neck pain, but took motrin and fine. I had literally calls from 5 lawyers the next week wanting me to sign up and go to the ER. I told them I was fine, but said I should still be checked out.

I can understand why some would go through the hoops to get a 5 figure settlement. By the time my car was totaled, the insurance company payout was 10K less than the car was worth. I spent 15K more getting a new car.
EclipseAg
AG
LMCane said:

And cops retreating to the donut shops due to "defund the police" movements.

Who wants to write a ticket when the driver might at best end your career with a very public lawsuit or at worst, end your life?
Thinice
One problem we're seeing raising your collision rates is all the fancy "accident avoidance" technology. It can cost thousands to re-calibrate after any accident, no matter how minor.

But the big problem is the personal injury industry. As an adjuster here's what I see on a typical claim:

ER/Urgent Care visits of 20-30K after CT scans showing nothing.

Chiro 8-10K

MRI's @ $4000K each (usually 2-3) that show nothing

"Pain management" where they charge 8-12K per session for ESI's, trigger point or facet injections.

With all the liberal judges in the large countries it's only going to get worse.

Fightin_Aggie
AG
Inflation and Uninsured illegals who have been driving up rates for years
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
highpriorityag
hail damage claims

when you pay a PDR guy $8000 for 2 days of work something is wrong

same with roofers
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Thinice said:

One problem we're seeing raising your collision rates is all the fancy "accident avoidance" technology. It can cost thousands to re-calibrate after any accident, no matter how minor.

But the big problem is the personal injury industry. As an adjuster here's what I see on a typical claim:

ER/Urgent Care visits of 20-30K after CT scans showing nothing.

Chiro 8-10K

MRI's @ $4000K each (usually 2-3) that show nothing

"Pain management" where they charge 8-12K per session for ESI's, trigger point or facet injections.

With all the liberal judges in the large counties it's only going to get worse.
So much of this. In addition, the "medical care" is all on Letters of Protection (arrangement between Plaintiff lawyer and docs to maximize the invoiced amount and eliminate insurance adjustments).

Then the case settles for mid-six figures, or gets tried to a jury who these days increasing comes back with an outrageous verdict.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.