Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Car & Home insurance renewal

3,471 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Comeby!
ag0207
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like everyone else my rates are going up this year after holding pretty steady last year. I was going to shop around some but I don't want to fill out multiple online questionnaires. Any recommendations on someone/a company that can shop rates for me?
confucius_ag
AG
Call your regular agent. They have access to other companies.
I thought my Germania agent only sold Germania policies......turns out he has access to Progressive, Allstate, etc.
cslifer
I have seen the Liere Agency mentioned on here for years. Farmers finally broke me with their rate increases this year and I gave Liere a call. Quick, painless and saved me over a grand/year between my home and auto.
classicdoug
AG
I have been with Liere (Safeco) for about 10 years. I called Service Insurance Group in Bryan last week. Between my 4 cars and house, I'm looking at saving about $3600/year by switching to them and Mercury insurance. This is comparing apples to apples, except SIG is actually valuing my house higher. I emailed Liere yesterday to give them a chance to meet their quote, but I'm not holding my breath.
Diggity
AG
I would say in a normal market, you' should see a good savings if you've been a long time customer with a good claims history and make a move. They're basically buying a dividend stock.

If you bounce around every year or so, I think you're less likely to see much savings.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
classicdoug said:

I have been with Liere (Safeco) for about 10 years. I called Service Insurance Group in Bryan last week. Between my 4 cars and house, I'm looking at saving about $3600/year by switching to them and Mercury insurance. This is comparing apples to apples, except SIG is actually valuing my house higher. I emailed Liere yesterday to give them a chance to meet their quote, but I'm not holding my breath.

This is interesting. I've been with the same insurance broker for many years. I assumed brokers mostly have access to the same markets and pricing - so what's the deal? I would love an update on this.
jja79
AG
I relocated out of Texas a year ago. Pleasantly surprised by the cost of insurance. Got my renewal yesterday and it went down.
AggieBaseball06
AG
I've been with Liere for about a year now and have found every part of them underwhelming.
AG
Was pleasantly surprised to find out my homeowners insurance is up only around 5% this year.
Comeby!
AG
Been with them for over 10 years. Not sure if they are shopping around as much these days.
EvenPar
AG
Service Insurance Group (SIG)
Owner Brad Hurt

They've always taken care of our personal and commercial needs. Quick to respond and the best rates. Definitely give them a shot.
The Silverback
AG
I own an Independent Agency and more than happy to take a crack at it. Auto isn't much of an issue right now, rates are up but nothing crazy.

Home is the problem. If your home/roof is old, you are in trouble. And DFW Houston areas 10x worse.

Feel free to reach out anytime

Matt@Dimitexas.com
Comeby!
AG
So did Liere show up and compete or did you make a change? I'm at that point.
JobSecurity
AG
Liere just quoted a policy for me yesterday with Mercury, interesting there would be a difference in price with a different broker
Pepper Brooks
AG
I've also been with Liere for about 10 years. I shopped them against another broker last fall and Liere still had the best deal.

I am very curious about the Mercury quote as they've quoted Mercury for me in the past. I'll give SIB a shot when my auto comes up in July.
classicdoug
AG
Comeby! said:

They are working on it.

Here's an interesting thing. Liere had my wife listed first on the Mercury quote. They reran the quote with me listed first on the policy and the price came down by a little more than $3000/yr. Same 2 kids, same 4 cars, same 4 drivers, same discounts. We have no accidents or tickets and my wife's credit score is actually higher than mine. Liere even says it doesn't make sense, We're waiting on the Mercury home insurance quote

So, get your quotes run both ways just to see what happens if you have a spouse on the policy.
Aggie71013
AG
This is good feedback. Thanks for the out of the box advice.
Comeby!
AG
Shot you a note.
The Silverback
AG
classicdoug said:

Comeby! said:

They are working on it.

Here's an interesting thing. Liere had my wife listed first on the Mercury quote. They reran the quote with me listed first on the policy and the price came down by a little more than $3000/yr. Same 2 kids, same 4 cars, same 4 drivers, same discounts. We have no accidents or tickets and my wife's credit score is actually higher than mine. Liere even says it doesn't make sense, We're waiting on the Mercury home insurance quote

So, get your quotes run both ways just to see what happens if you have a spouse on the policy.
This is common and the case with every carrier. Demographics and credit are a factor in all personal insurance. So always good to check both husband and wife to see who gets the better rate.
double aught
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

I've been with Liere for about a year now and have found every part of them underwhelming.
This right here. I went with Liere years ago after reading raves about them on texags. I never felt like they put any effort into getting me a good rate or policy after the initial move. They wouldn't bother unless I called. Finally went with a different agency recently.
AgsMyDude
AG
Been with Liere for about a decade and have referred many folks who wind up saying tons. Customer service always seems good.
Dill-Ag13
AG
State Farm was surprisingly competitive for me
MAS444
AG
Was with Liere for a while years ago and even though they supposedly shopped different companies, they always put me with the same carrier. After a few years, I shopped it around and easily found better rates. Won't go back.

If you want better rates year in, year out, do it yourself.
Comeby!
AG
That's what's happening to me. Easily found better rates with the same carrier and when I asked them why they said tough sheet. Won't be recommending them again. I should've known there was trouble when they quoted my parents some obscene rates.
MAS444
AG
Most people auto renew every year without questioning it...so the brokers get their cut year after year without doing much of anything, while the carriers slowly (or sometimes quickly) jack your rates up. Hell of a business for them.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Maybe this will be helpful….i am with a broker in Austin area, I've been with them a long time and have been happy. I am paying about $2400 a year on 2 vehicles (large suv and truck), 2 drivers in 40s - clean driving record. Good coverage. This is through progressive - I shopped around a could not beat this with either a new broker or through usaa or zebra (which is as pretty useless). Called a new broker who said progressive had consistent the best rate.

I am paying around .80% of the insured amount per year on my homeowners. 2% hail claim deductible, 1% otherwise I believe. This is through allied trust. Shopped these out and couldn't find anyone to beat it.

Maybe this data point will help someone.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I had Nationwide for 10 years until today. Switched to Progressive, added a car to the policy, kept all deductibles and coverages the same, and still lowered premiums from $8600 to $4700.

ETA- home and auto combined
Comeby!
AG
Wow! Who did you use?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
went direct through the Progressive website.

I tried using PolicyGenius to shop it, but none of their partners would write a policy...I assume based on the age of the roof (15+ years). I tried shopping Allstate, but again, they would not quote a homeowner's policy after spending 15 minutes or more entering personal and property information.
Comeby!
AG
EvenPar said:

Service Insurance Group (SIG)
Owner Brad Hurt

They've always taken care of our personal and commercial needs. Quick to respond and the best rates. Definitely give them a shot.
His communication (or lack thereof) has been pretty bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.