Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Bye bye non compete

4,862 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by bmks270
cgh1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2024/04/ftc-announces-rule-banning-noncompetes
Troy91
AG
Likely not a valid rule. Expect this to be challenged in court and drag on for years.
Bonfire.1996
Banks exempt from FTC oversight? What?
cgh1999
AG
Bonfire.1996 said:

On my phone - what section are you referencing?
nu awlins ag
AG
Troy91 said:

Likely not a valid rule. Expect this to be challenged in court and drag on for years.

The courts will decide, until then, you are free to roam about the country.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Bingo

Quote:

WASHINGTONThe Federal Trade Commission on Tuesday banned employers from using noncompete contracts to prevent most workers from joining rival firms, achieving a policy goal that is popular with labor but faces an imminent court challenge from business groups.

The measure, approved by the agency's Democratic majority on a 3-to-2 vote, marks the first time in more than 50 years that FTC officials have issued a regulation to mandate an economywide change in how companies compete. The commission has historically operated like a law enforcement agency, investigating and suing individual companies over practices or deals deemed to violate the law.

The FTC's final rule becomes effective in four months. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce plans to sue the FTC as soon as Wednesday over the rule. The suit would argue that the FTC lacks the legal authority to issue the rule and would ask a federal court to invalidate it, Chamber officials said this week.

"If they can issue regulations with respect to unfair methods of competition, then there's really no aspect of the U.S. economy they couldn't regulate," said Neil Bradley, head of strategic advocacy for the Chamber.
https://www.wsj.com/politics/policy/ftc-bans-noncompete-clauses-that-restrict-job-switching-984d2187

ETA- thumbs down on this infringement on the right to contract
flashplayer
AG
I also think this gets challenged and if upheld will kill a lot of small businesses that use this as a strategy to protect themselves from being parasitized from within.
Bonfire.1996
cgh1999 said:

Bonfire.1996 said:

On my phone - what section are you referencing?
it was halfway through the article. SIFMA says banks aren't subject to FTC regulation. How could they be exempt?
Casey TableTennis
AG
If this makes it through, I imagine required notice and garden periods would begin expanding in employment agreements. If so, would likely upend to some degree how severances work.

Also expect there will be a lot of fight around what constitutes an executive that can have a non-compete vs just a key employee.

Of course a non-compete isn't what most employers care most about. They primarily don't want customers/clients and employees solicited. Imagine those would still be enforceable. If so, non-acceptance clauses will become more prevalent too, it would seem.
cgh1999
AG
I'm used to seeing/signing non-solicit documents. I can't call on clients or employees for a period of 1 year following my termination (with or without cause). I am compensated for this. It's annoying...but it doesn't prevent me from doing my job. It just makes me work a bit harder for a year.
Casey TableTennis
AG
Casey TableTennis said:

If this makes it through, I imagine required notice and garden periods would begin expanding in employment agreements. If so, would likely upend to some degree how severances work.

Also expect there will be a lot of fight around what constitutes an executive that can have a non-compete vs just a key employee.

Of course a non-compete isn't what most employers care most about. They primarily don't want customers/clients and employees solicited. Imagine those would still be enforceable. If so, non-acceptance clauses will become more prevalent too, it would seem.

Reading a bit about this and garden leaves may be on the chopping block too. Those are usually pretty short, so a bit surprising to me.
TriAg2010
AG
Looking forward to the wistful takes in a few years of "2024 man, THAT was the year businesses stopped investing in their people."
JSKolache
AG
FTC regulates truth in advertising. They have zero mandate for employment law.
Comeby!
AG
Don't think this applies to execs.
htxag09
AG
Comeby! said:

WSJ article said execs under current non competes are excluded from this. So those contracts are still valid. However, from this point on execs could not be subject to new non competes.
OldArmyCT
AG
I wonder what the effect on intellectual property will be.
94chem
OldArmyCT said:

Way less than you think. Businesses will argue this, but isn't that the reason they filed patents in the first place, to get a limited monopoly? You can't have a monopoly on people, too. I have 60 patents. I wouldn't get to take them with me. The best defense of IP is to use it for something, not to hold the inventors hostage.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Comeby!
AG
htxag09 said:

Comeby! said:

WSJ article said execs under current non competes are excluded from this. So those contracts are still valid. However, from this point on execs could not be subject to new non competes.

Yep, that's where I read it.
Pinochet
htxag09 said:

Comeby! said:

Definition of that is interesting. You have to have a policy making role and have the high compensation. That would turn a lot of well paid consultants into mercenaries that can take their clients with them, especially when you read how the noncompete definition is expanded to include all the other things employers have come up with like nonsolicitation agreements. I am currently still subject to a nonsolicit that completely limits who I can even try to do work for, with insane liquidated damages attached. This rule would be great for me personally in the short term, but not so much my industry because of the fallout.
94chem
My daughter makes $17/hr as a part-time pharmacy technician. She has a non-compete. Ridiculous.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
bmks270
AG
94chem said:

My daughter makes $17/hr as a part-time pharmacy technician. She has a non-compete. Ridiculous.

It's ridiculous practices like making all employees sign absurd non-competes why the FTC is doing this. It's a reaction to businesses bullying employees.

I've seen companies with absurd non-competes for entry level new grads. Things while still in the state, for two years you cannot perform work directly or indirectly by subcontract for any customer you worked while with the company. This is pretty insane and limiting to the employees if you work a few of the large customers in the region or sector. It severely limit's employees ability to job hop to other contractors or customers and when these clauses are industry wide in a specialized workforce it absolutely suppresses wages.

I think it's very bad for the labor market and innovation.

Imagine non-compete language in an athletes contract. It's absurd to think an average athlete would ever be restricted from joining another team once their contract is up. It's ridiculous that it's become common practice in many sectors and regions for average employees.
themissinglink
AG
94chem said:

I agree it's gotten ridiculous and it's part of why the reason for the FTC action. Most companies don't go after low level employees for non-compete issues and it's just a way to scare employees into staying.

On the flip side, there are legitimate reasons for having non-competes for VP and executive level employees. The thread below on twitter was supposed to gain sympathy for the FTC's ruling and anger towards Amazon trying to enforce non-competes but has the opposite impact on me. Most of the AWS to Google Cloud at the VP/Executive level seems pretty legitimate to me for a non-compete clause.

Pinochet
That's typical in my industry. It's two years of not soliciting any work from a client you worked on for the 2 years prior to leaving, and the same for the clients you even proposed on (without winning the work) within a year of leaving. That means all the people who have a lot of connections because they are able to manage lots of work well are screwed. They are kept around with a promise to be made a partner but can't actually take another job because their contacts are worthless for a couple years. The agreements also stipulate that even an entry level person just going somewhere else and working on the same client is assumed to be solicitation and subject to liquidated damages based on total fees charged by the entire company. If you worked on AT&T as a 2nd year and moved to a new firm who asked for your special knowledge about TV networks that somehow helped their AT&T account, you are now liable for 25% of the entire firm's AT&T bill, which is likely in the millions. All those agreements are signed again each year with the threat of not getting a bonus you already earned.

They also have nonsolicitation agreements for employees, which is a little more interesting. I understand not wanting to have people take their entire teams with them, but if you like your boss, he shouldn't be penalized for that. If this sticks, it's going to be a strange new world closer to the law firm model.
Pinochet
Ryan & Co used to sue or threaten to sue low level employees all the time when they left for greener pastures. The founder's brother was an attorney who would bankroll the suits and as I understand made a heap of money off it. They would (allegedly) harass the 22 and 23 year olds until they quit their new jobs or offered to pay the extortion fee. Makes sense that a firm that made its money from contingent fee state tax fees would also make money on threats like that.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

WASHINGTONThe nation's biggest business lobbying group and a national tax-services firm both sued the Federal Trade Commission on Wednesday, igniting a flare of lawsuits over the agency's regulation aimed at ending noncompete agreements.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce challenged the regulation in federal court in East Texas, while the tax firm Ryan LLC filed its lawsuit in Dallas. Other business groups joined the chamber's suit, including the Business Roundtable, which represents chief executive officers of some of the country's biggest employers.
https://www.wsj.com/politics/policy/big-business-groups-sue-to-block-ftcs-ban-on-noncompete-agreements-1bc8bcbb?mod=hp_lead_pos1
Bonfire.1996
It's telling that the chamber was this ready.

The chamber is an incredible lobbying partner for suppressing the cost of labor. Immigration, non compete law, just merciless against the American middle class.
themissinglink
AG
OldArmyCT said:

The flip side of this is that California largely banned non-compete clauses with limited exceptions in the 1940s and some of the most people and IP centric industries set up shop and have flourished there for decades. Not suggesting we should follow California's lead on business regulations, but I do think the the potential impact to IP is overstated for most industries.
bmks270
AG
Pinochet said:

That's typical in my industry. It's two years of not soliciting any work from a client you worked on for the 2 years prior to leaving, and the same for the clients you even proposed on (without winning the work) within a year of leaving. That means all the people who have a lot of connections because they are able to manage lots of work well are screwed. They are kept around with a promise to be made a partner but can't actually take another job because their contacts are worthless for a couple years. The agreements also stipulate that even an entry level person just going somewhere else and working on the same client is assumed to be solicitation and subject to liquidated damages based on total fees charged by the entire company. If you worked on AT&T as a 2nd year and moved to a new firm who asked for your special knowledge about TV networks that somehow helped their AT&T account, you are now liable for 25% of the entire firm's AT&T bill, which is likely in the millions. All those agreements are signed again each year with the threat of not getting a bonus you already earned.

They also have nonsolicitation agreements for employees, which is a little more interesting. I understand not wanting to have people take their entire teams with them, but if you like your boss, he shouldn't be penalized for that. If this sticks, it's going to be a strange new world closer to the law firm model.

Your story has a possible path to partner. In my context there is no path to partner. There is just a handful of small suppliers and large OEMs. You do work in the sector out of school for a few years at one of these suppliers, then look around and realize you're non-compete covers the job opportunities you're most qualified for because you touched a few OEM customers. Now the smaller employers collectively have hundreds, even thousands of employees in this same spot because the non-compete. It absolutely suppresses wages when these employers basically have this understanding not to hire from each other, and OEMs fear hiring the occasional employee from the customer even for a totally different part of the company that didn't engage the supplier.

These employees aren't actually competition for these businesses. It's purely about limiting employees job opportunities to suppress wages. If employees could hop among the suppliers and the OEMs they do work for, they'd have to pay more to keep them employed at their company. A few underling employees with little to no customer interaction are not going to be taking business with them. That's laughable. It's purely about wages in many cases. It prevents employees from leaving to a larger OEM or another supplier who might be in a totally different non-competing business but happen to share a customer.

Diggity
AG
this rule wasn't exactly a surprise.

It follows an executive order from 2021 and an initial proposal from Jan. 2023.
Pinochet
Not at all surprised that Ryan filed a suit. See my comments above about them. They love the noncompete extortion racket. Brint Ryan and his attorney brother are hated by a lot of people and it's not for being reasonable people.
jh0400
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Troy91 said:

The courts will decide, until then, you are free to roam about the country.

It will be at least 120 days before the rule goes into effect. Everyone I've talked to on this expects the courts to intervene and stop it before the effective date to allow the legal process to play out. IMO, this is a huge reach by the FTC that has been overreaching for a while now.
Ol Jock 99
AG
It has been abused so badly. UTSW, a state owned hospital, had it at 50 miles or 2x your salary for doctors. Just silly.
Comeby!
AG

If employers just took care of their people, you wouldn't have to worry about this kind of stuff.
themissinglink
AG
Historically, companies were able to minimize turnover of low-mid level employees through defined benefit pensions. While I fully support the move to defined contribution plans, the downside for companies is the hook to stay around longer is gone. Many companies use vesting stock awards but it's not prevalent in all industries or company structures. A number of the companies with non-competes for low-mid level employees that are impacted by this ruling could benefit from some form of deferred compensation plan for these employees.
Drawkcab
cgh1999 said:

I'm used to seeing/signing non-solicit documents. I can't call on clients or employees for a period of 1 year following my termination (with or without cause). I am compensated for this. It's annoying...but it doesn't prevent me from doing my job. It just makes me work a bit harder for a year.

How often is this a problem for you? Is your main business model just going around getting yourself fired and then after a year poaching clients and employees from your former employer?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.