Texas A&M has named Blaire Bachman as its Director of Swimming & Diving

1,629 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by RichAg
NomadicAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://swimswam.com/uva-associate-head-coach-blaire-bachman-to-be-director-of-swimming-at-texas-am/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter
taylorswift13_
I love it!
Russ Dalrymple
AG
Nm
Weber
AG
What does this mean in regards to Jay and Jason? Are they being retained? I would question making a change after their recent success, but I guess this could be a budgetary issue?
76Firebird
I think she's great, but I don't know what it means for the current coaching staff, and if they push Jay Holmes out, they're gonna piss off almost every swimming alum I know. I also think it's stupid if they let Calanog go. We sent a letter signed by nearly 200 alum in support of Jay getting the job. They apparently ignored that.
aggiebq14
AG
I'm sure they keep the veteran coaches around but let some of the newer staff go. I feel like Jay will only stick around one year just to keep some of the traditions alive. I'd almost be disappointed if he stayed longer than that.
sharpdressedman
Cost cutting move. Coaching overhead is being pruned. We'll see what the impact is on competitive results.
Weber
AG
Interesting move with Texas moving in. The SEC will be exceptionally more competitive now, and if Jay leaves, how much of their talent stays?
Gap
AG
Does anyone know how much money the A&M swim and dive programs lose per year? It seems like a sport that has pretty high costs given the facilities and number of people involved but almost no revenue to go along with it.
OilAg01
AG
Bingo. Though, I have no idea how much they have to pay to use the rec pool.

It's going to be interesting what they do with non revenue sports…biggest loser of them all is women's ball.
aggiebq14
AG
I think I heard someone say they have to pay something along the lines of $20,000+ per year to use the Rec pool - and that only includes the natatorium. If they want to use they other pools they have to pay extra
Look Out Below
AG
I can't imagine the salary overhead was particularly high in men's swimming, even with Jay's longevity.

I think this was a move, for better or worse, to try to improve the program's standing while also not taking too big of a salary hit with a quite young new hire.

I hope they keep Jay & Jason (and Lerew). The program has been on a solid trajectory plus the new head coach clearly has more skins on the wall on the women's side of things.
Look Out Below
AG
I think you're missing at least another zero on that number. Probably even a lot higher than that.
HeyAbbott
AG
It is several hundred thousand approximately for the swim teams to "rent" the use of the Natatorium. It was a cost cutting move with the coaching staff in combining both programs under one director.
ContinentalAg
Miranda Grana transfers out.
Aceswimmer09
Not great
halco87
Nice gift from Ray Looze to his former assistant.
RichAg
Love it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.