Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,130,453 Views | 44472 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was barely a teenager…..the perfect age for this pile of bantha poodoo
The Porkchop Express
YouBet said:

Literally half my life ago. WTF.
Same here. Oh to be 25 in 1999 again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Interesting, didn't realize the teaser trailer didn't show the Phantom Menace title yet, it was just Episode I.
The Porkchop Express
Original post from AICN the day the trailer came out in November 1998 - your options were Quicktime MOV or an MPEG

STAR WARS EPISODE ONE TRAILER HERE!!!!
Published at: Nov. 18, 1998, 5:33 p.m. CST by staff

https://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/2534
Well folks the force was sooo strong it killed my servers so I'm having my trusty allies get this up for you. There are two places you can go for the trailer this lovely geeky morning. The first is: The Official Star Wars Web Site Their servers are being blasted by millions of geeks around the globe. Their version of the trailer has the best image quality and sound. Really top notch. But they were not the first people with the trailer up. Just like when the Star Wars Special Edition trailers came out, the Australian site RED 5 was the brave soul that tracked it down. Well this time, the honor and glory and bravery goes to Lincoln and the Countingdown.com Site. This trailer is not crystal clear, it isn't perfect audio.... but you know what... I think it's about 100 times cooler than the official scanned one. Why? Well this copy has... what I call, an 'AWE TRACK'! You can hear the audience, the trailer is in mpeg form, which if you have the right software... well it looks like great full screen. In addition if you poke around their site, you'll see some 40 screen grabs from the trailer.
I do have to tell you this. I'm working up a review of the film trailer... it's really really gonna be long. But, I have this bit of advice. Download the trailer. Get both of them. But don't watch either. Put them somewhere on your harddrive, then wait... wait till you see it in a theater, wait for the music to kill you, the sound effects and the true AWE TRACK in surround sound. The audiences I have heard from have been noisy as hell when the Fox logo comes up, and as it... fades to black at the end, but between.... Well, it's been Sunday Mass in every theater showing it. Soooo enjoy... I'll be updating later in the day. I've got to geek with my friends. I'm sorry, but... well I'm a geek first and a responsible site administrator last.
YouBet
AG
QuickTime. Forgot about that.
MGS
I had a friend that went to Meet Joe Black on opening night just to see the trailer a couple of days before it hit the internet.
The Porkchop Express
MGS said:

I had a friend that went to Meet Joe Black on opening night just to see the trailer a couple of days before it hit the internet.

My dad my brother and I went to see the water boy because the theater promised to show it twice - before and after. And like many people I wore out thr entertainment tonight vcr cassette of Mary hart saying here's your ride back to the future with star wars
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting, didn't realize the teaser trailer didn't show the Phantom Menace title yet, it was just Episode I.

I remember getting my Star Wars Insider magazine that had teasers for the title yet to come…
The Porkchop Express
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I remember getting my Star Wars Insider magazine that had teasers for the title yet to come…
That magazine was the best thing before the Internet got big. I remember the issue with the new ANH Hah/Jabba scene as the cover and feeling like my mind had been blown.

The Porkchop Express
All Hail Vernestra Rwoh's Lightwhip

And the much-awaited Wook Jedi

redline248
AG
I'm gonna need someone to explain how a light whip would work.

I know, I know... lightsaber amirite? Still
BenTheGoodAg
AG
redline248 said:

Lightsaber whips, you say?

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Lightsaber whip…it was a less elegant weapon for a less civilized age.
The Porkchop Express
redline248 said:

In Star Wars, a lightwhip is a modified lightsaber with a flexible blade made up of many small emitters that create a thin, flexible blade that can reach several meters in length. Lightwhips are weaker than lightsabers and have limited cutting capacity, but they can be used to capture or entangle opponents.

The first person I remember using one was the EU villain Lumiya who showed up in the comics as a foil to Luke and then again in one of the last legends series, where Jacen Solo falls to the Dark Side (that sounds familiar). Lumiya helped Jacen on his path become a Sith, then took the fall for killing Luke's wife Mara Jade (Jacen actually kiled her). Luke hunter Lumiya down and killed her.

There's a cool piece of art but I can't get it to load: It's here:

I think someone in the Darth Bane books had one, but I just can't remember that fact today.

The character in the show who has one is in the Light of the Force High Republic books. She isn't a traditional Jedi and not one to want to fight; using it to disarm people easier.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Einstein's General Theory of Relativity describes how light is bent by gravity. I think it was proven during an eclipse in the early 1900's.

Thus…my nerd theory is that that the whip is manipulated by gravity.
redline248
AG
I remember Lumiya from the Legacy of the Force series, but not the whip. The explanation of all the emitters is satisfactory, so thanks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Light whips might be the second dumbest lightsaber variant in Star Wars behind the helicopter blades from Rebels.
maroon barchetta
Is it dumber than a droid general with asthma that has multiple lightsabers?
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Light whips might be the second dumbest lightsaber variant in Star Wars behind the helicopter blades from Rebels.
personally I haven't seen anything dumber than practically ALL of the lightsaber physics from the sequel trilogy….mainly the "bounce" physics we've seen so if the whip cuts through bodies like a hot knife through butter I'm in on it
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The spinning blades were fine, the ability to use them to fly like a helicopter was cartoon nonsense.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I agree, helicopter sabers is probably the dumbest.

But Kylo's cross guard saber is the second dumbest for me.
redline248
AG
Didn't see this posted yet

TCTTS
AG
First Page Refresh
Page 1271 of 1271

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.