***** X-Men '97: The Series *****

6,363 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First episode is online at Disney plus. I've only watched the first 5 minutes, but Storm and Cyclops are already more fun than they were in all 3 of the first movies combined.
C@LAg
first TWO episodes.
jeffk
AG
Fun trip down memory lane. Voice acting is way over the top and full of cliches just like the original. I had 100% memory-holed the Magneto-Rogue relationship I guess.
BadMoonRisin
AG

rhutton125
AG
I think I'm gonna save these for Saturday mornings.
JJxvi
AG
Disney ruined X-Men with these woke themes!
YouBet
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

I wonder if they will redo this episode from the original. Easily the best episode they made:

rhutton125
AG
So far so good. It feels like old times!
The Porkchop Express
rhutton125 said:

So far so good. It feels like old times!
Second episode was incredible. Really loved Magneto.
rhutton125
AG
Morph turning into Archangel in the first episode has me hoping for some guest characters.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Not surprised there would be some modifications from the 90's era depictions, when Jim Lee had turned every female character into:

YouBet
AG
DustysLineup said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Not surprised there would be some modifications from the 90's era depictions, when Jim Lee had turned every female character into:

This happened in the 90s cartoon?? I may have to go find these. Never saw the original.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Are you joking, or much much younger than me. Those gifs are from old Tranzor Z cartoons. Jim Lee's drawings of female characters in the 90's X-Men comics just always made me think of the rocket boobie robots of Tranzor.
YouBet
AG
DustysLineup said:

Are you joking, or much much younger than me. Those gifs are from old Tranzor Z cartoons. Jim Lee's drawings of female characters in the 90's X-Men comics just always made me think of the rocket boobie robots of Tranzor.
I'm 50. Never heard of Tranzor Z and I watched alot of that stuff back then.

Star Blazers was my show.
Quad Dog
AG
Really disappointed. There is way less than 97 X-Men in this show.
C@LAg
nothing like 30 comic book issues all crammed into 25 minutes of cartooning.
jeffk
AG
C@LAg said:

nothing like 30 comic book issues all crammed into 25 minutes of cartooning.

Lol. Yes, that was A LOT.
C@LAg
I really sucks how they take bits and pieces of longer and better stories and try to condense them, denying themselves any ability to tell complex and rich stories.

LifeDeath (I) (comic Uncanny X-Men 186) was/is one of those seminal stories where the action takes a 100% backseat to story and character development that is so rarely allowed to be done in comics of any era. It was part of the storyline transition that redefined Storm as a character, both as a hero and as an individual, resulting in her being the core of the X-Men from that point going forward to today.

They hit the story beats here in a 10 minute mini-episode, but utterly miss the target on its heart.

My personal memories of that issue were the gorgeous Barry Windsor-Smith artwork, and the fact that it was the 5th issue of Uncanny X-Men I had ever read (I had started with issue 182.)

I was SO lost story wise as i only had a few issue backstory and I still had no grasp of their personal lives vs the superhero identities . I was confused when people would refer to Logan, not realizing he was also wolverine... same for most of the other characters. Plus I was like... 10 years old at the time.... ;-)

Quad Dog
AG
I loved the call back to the old X-Men arcade game in this most recent episode. That thing took so many of my quarter.
The Porkchop Express
That was a phenomenal episode, with great nods to the Matrix and to Star Wars as well.

And the third one was straight up retelling of Labyrinth.

This show is a ton of fun.
C@LAg
said it before, saying it again., they need to stop cramming so much story, badly, into 30 minutes.

Could be AMAZING if they spent a whole season adapting a long story arc instead of doing a story arc per episode.

This week is E for Extinction storyline

1. Nice Uatu the Watcher cameo. Indicator that the **** is about to hit the fan.

2. I find it hysterical that the character on Genosha all hang around in their formal superhero costumes all day instead of just wearing normal clothes. (yeah, I know it was so we could readily spot all the cameos)

but this is a problem that has been in the comics for almost a decade now. The X-Men used to be depicted in regular clothes all the time - when relaxing in the mansion, recreating outdoors, etc.
Now it is hero outfits. 24x7, sadly a forced and artificial brand marketing by Marvel/Disney.

3. Val Cooper is Mystique.

4. I hope they are not co-opting the Scott/Emma storyline with a Scott/Madelyn one.
MASAXET
AG
C@LAg said:

said it before, saying it again., they need to stop cramming so much story, badly, into 30 minutes.

Could be AMAZING if they spent a whole season adapting a long story arc instead of doing a story arc per episode.

This week is E for Extinction storyline

1. Nice Uatu the Watcher cameo. Indicator that the **** is about to hit the fan.

2. I find it hysterical that the character on Genosha all hang around in their formal superhero costumes all day instead of just wearing normal clothes. (yeah, I know it was so we could readily spot all the cameos)

but this is a problem that has been in the comics for almost a decade now. The X-Men used to be depicted in regular clothes all the time - when relaxing in the mansion, recreating outdoors, etc.
Now it is hero outfits. 24x7, sadly a forced and artificial brand marketing by Marvel/Disney.

3. Val Cooper is Mystique.

4. I hope they are not co-opting the Scott/Emma storyline with a Scott/Madelyn one.
I don't disagree that it would be cool to draw these out to build the story. Having sad that, I do disagree that this episode told the story badly. I thought it was awesome.
C@LAg
MASAXET said:

I thought it was awesome.
this is america. where you have the right to be wrong.
The Porkchop Express
C@LAg said:

MASAXET said:

you seem to be wanting an intense amount out of a cartoon based on a totally ridiculous cartoon from 27 years ago.
C@LAg
The Porkchop Express said:

C@LAg said:

MASAXET said:

you seem to be wanting an intense amount out of a cartoon based on a totally ridiculous cartoon from 27 years ago.

and yet you seem to be satisfied with the banal pablum that Lucas/Disney puts out all the time. I prefer more. Even from franchises

People are allowed to have different opinions than you, you know.

lighten up francis. it was a joke response.

you do not seee me *****ing about alll the meme spam you post in the various franchise threads.
The Porkchop Express
C@LAg said:

C@LAg said:

MASAXET said:

and yet you seem to be satisfied with the banal pablum that Lucas/Disney puts out all the time. I prefer more. Even from franchises

People are allowed to have different opinions than you, you know.

lighten up francis. it was a joke response.

you do not seee me *****ing about alll the meme spam you post in the various franchise threads.

It was just a point of discussion, man. I didn't mean to be rude. What is the meme spam I'm posting? I don't know what that means.
The Porkchop Express
Quad Dog said:

I loved the call back to the old X-Men arcade game in this most recent episode. That thing took so many of my quarter.

Back when Cyclops was awesome (and now is again)
MASAXET
AG

C@LAg said:

MASAXET said:

Agree. Of course it'd be cool if the show was something different and more narrative-based. But let's not forget what it is at it's core: a Saturday morning cartoon.
MASAXET
AG

Quad Dog said:

I think we're about to see Cyclops go full "by any means necessary" for a bit.
The Porkchop Express
MASAXET said:

Quad Dog said:

I think we're about to see Cyclops go full "by any means necessary" for a bit.
Jeez looked up the game and forgot how much I loved it We had it on our Sega at A&M.

toucan82
Hopefully we can all agree that Colossus was the best character in that game
The Porkchop Express
toucan82 said:

Hopefully we can all agree that Colossus was the best character in that game

His cameo in x2 had me roaring
bluefire579
AG
They're teasing a certain someone in the midseason trailer

The Porkchop Express
bluefire579 said:

They're teasing a certain someone in the midseason trailer

****IN A
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
AgTrip
They better fix episode 5!!

Cable showing up can't be a coincidence!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.