***** X-Men '97: The Series *****

6,104 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by The Porkchop Express
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First half of this episode was a bit of a mess but the second half was some adult ****.

I'm loving the way they're adapting storylines, personally.
AgfromHOU
AG
Do I need to watch the original series for this? I've been trying to, but..
rhutton125
AG
If you're familiar with the main X-Men beats (Phoenix Saga, Bishop is from the future, etc) then I'd say no. But I'd also say there's a curated version of greatness within that original series. Season 1, a couple highlights from S2 (Mr Sinister), Phoenix Saga, then the 4-part original finale "Beyond Good and Evil" (IIRC) with Apocalypse. I'd recommend that to anyone.
jeffk
AG
Pay close attention to the "last time on X-men" recap they do before each episode and I think you'll be fine.
Maveric
AG
Great episode last night. The Mutant Massacre/Fall of the Mutants era is where I started so it was great to see Lifedeath Part 2 paid homage.
AgfromHOU
AG
I decided to just watch the original series, and there's a Captain America picture in s2e4 when talking about Omega Red
Al Bula
AG
Well it has been mostly good so far. I was hoping for Omega Red, and definitely not thrilled to see FoH again. The Sentinels and Mastermold are old news and uninteresting. That goes doubly for the mutant rights stuff.

Agree that the UN chick has got to be Mystique.

Pretty cool that Ronan was in episode 6.

Interested in more Mr. Sinister despite whatever the Mastermold Boliver Trask DNA megabug was.

Looking forward to Apocalypse's eventual appearance as well as more Cable. Bring on Colossus, Psylocke and X-Force.

And REALLY curious about Strife making an appearance down the road since seasons 2 and 3 are happening.

I need to go back and cherry pick some of the original series. The show hits a lot of nostalgic spots since the X-Men, to me, IS Marvel and most other series/movies/characters are ass (minus GotG and the mid-90s animated Spiderman sect of Marvel).
jeffk
AG
Holy crap this show goes so much harder than it has any right to
MASAXET
AG
Loving it
Brock Sampson
AG
Wow that ending. This show kicks butt
Al Bula
AG

Al Bula said:

I was hoping for Omega Red
Well that worked out nicely

Bastion is not a supervillain I am familiar with, but the backstory has been interesting. As tiring as the sentinel storyline is and how eye-rolling the obvious mutant persecution themes similarities with today's climate, this series rival has been compelling.
MASAXET
AG
Al Bula said:

Al Bula said:

I was hoping for Omega Red
Well that worked out nicely

Bastion is not a supervillain I am familiar with, but the backstory has been interesting. As tiring as the sentinel storyline is and how eye-rolling the obvious mutant persecution themes similarities with today's climate, this series rival has been compelling.
They're doing a great job of mashing up different comics storylines but making it different enough to keep everyone guessing. Even Bastion is different from the comics version* and, I think, more compelling here.

The storyline in the show is great. I'm not even ashamed when my friends find out I'm watching an X-Men cartoon.

* NOTE: not an expert on Bastion but commenting based on what I'm familiar with.
rhutton125
AG
Anyone starting to think Gambit won't be back? (If not this season than surely S2..?)
jeffk
AG
Woah woah woah

They continue to find ways to raise the bar in this series.
Quad Dog
AG
bluefire579
AG
Holy ****
toucan82
brown and yellow >> yellow and blue
MASAXET
AG
This show is awesome
jeffk
AG
Stupid sexy Magneto
The Porkchop Express
That was a 30-minute hype train. Halfway though I found myself thinking how ironic it is that animation can showcase their powers so much more than any CGI movie could dream of.

Morph Hulk was great.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Brock Sampson
AG
Another banger. Dang!
Brock Sampson
AG
Epic ending. Can't wait for next season
Ron Murkundy
I binged this in the last two days. The theme song still gets my blood pumping, 30 years later! Great continuation of the series, and I reminder of why I loved these characters all those years ago.

I know its common for comic characters to "die" and then eventually come back, but the emotional weight of those deaths really feels different for a show like this. Having them come back feels a little cheap.

Do we even know why Bastion kept Magneto alive? Why not just kill him (again)?
MASAXET
AG
Saying it again: this show was great
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Agree that characters coming back makes deaths feel cheap and I have no answers to your question, that didn't make sense.

It was a fun season, but the finale felt like the lowest stakes episode of the whole season. Every other episode, I wasn't sure how it was going to end. But the entire finale, you knew it was going to end with Magneto waking up and sending Asteroid M back to orbit. That kind of made everything else feel low stakes in the finale.

Really solid season. I was impressed how many weighty, emotional moments they built in.
Thanks and gig'em
Quad Dog
AG
If y'all didn't watch it, there was a short post credit scene.
Al Bula
AG
Quad Dog said:

If y'all didn't watch it, there was a short post credit scene.
Wow thanks for that.

I was wondering when Apocalypse was going to show up. I guess the time-stranded past team doesn't know the background on En Sabah Nur which should make for some interesting exchanges. And looks like Gambit may be one of Four Horseman.
The Porkchop Express
I dug the rest of them being a bit in awe of how Magneto is at full capacity.

I love all the Easter Egg and potential future film characters Morph turns into.

And I love they use the really dorky version of Ironman's armor where he looks like a ****ty robot from the 50s
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.